Masterpiece Challenge Winner Take All

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#21 tcope

tcope
  • Forum Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

My bet is the winner being the person with the most money to bid on their own/friends kite. Perhaps this "challenge" was not thought completely through.

#22 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:08 PM

Methinks the ones being challenged here are the makers, not the buyers B)

#23 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:30 AM

My bet is the winner being the person with the most money to bid on their own/friends kite. Perhaps this "challenge" was not thought completely through.

That would be an expensive gamble. If say I bid $5000 on someones kite who's to say that Kent (we know he'll bid high) doesn't bid $5001 on a different kite. Then Kent gets that kite and I am still out $5000 for the kite I bid on.

I'd rather buy some lottery tickets with some school teachers. That sounds like a safer bet.

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#24 tcope

tcope
  • Forum Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

That would be an expensive gamble. If say I bid $5000 on someones kite who's to say that Kent (we know he'll bid high) doesn't bid $5001 on a different kite. Then Kent gets that kite and I am still out $5000 for the kite I bid on.

Yes, as long as there were two crazy people out there willing to give up what they bid, the contest should be fine. If the bids were published then someone could just wait for a few minutes before the cut off to bid. Again, as long as someone else was willing to keep others in check by also bidding a crazy amount, everything would be fine.

My recommendation would be to keep bids private. This would also stop someone from out bidding the last person by $1.00. Hiding the amount of the bid means that the person willing to pay the highest, honest amount, wins (not the highest by $1).

I'm certainly not promoting it and I'd hope everything works out fine. I certainly don't have skin in this game so it's just my 2 cents.

#25 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

Alden, I believe (correct me if I am wrong Ben) that if you were to bid 5000 on kite A, and I was to bid 5001 on kite B, then YOU would own kite A and I would own kite B - but artist B would get all the cash (that is if someone else doesn't out bid either one of us).

The artist that gets the highest bid on his/her masterpiece wins the grand cash prize, each highest bidder on the kites win the kite they were highest bidder on.

#26 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

Alden, I believe (correct me if I am wrong Ben) that if you were to bid 5000 on kite A, and I was to bid 5001 on kite B, then YOU would own kite A and I would own kite B - but artist B would get all the cash (that is if someone else doesn't out bid either one of us).

The artist that gets the highest bid on his/her masterpiece wins the grand cash prize, each highest bidder on the kites win the kite they were highest bidder on.

That is the way I understand it too. That's why it would be a big gamble to try to rig the bidding unless of course you wanted to pay $5000 for the one kite. I am sure it would make the winning kitebuilder very happy!

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#27 hyzakite

hyzakite

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:22 AM

Yea, bidding against Ben is tough!!!

Ben doesn't have to bid, he's getting 8 free kites out of this deal so far, unless other artists jump in with their 2 kites, actually, Ben would have to bid and win 1 kite to have the complete collection, that kite being the duplicate of the kite that is choosen by the top artist that goes to AKA, but that would be kinda like inside trading.

Are you sure these artists are going to make 2 each? I sure would have been more eager to jump in on the bidding if it was One-Off kites being made for this challenge.

#28 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:50 AM

Yes, as long as there were two crazy people out there willing to give up what they bid, the contest should be fine. If the bids were published then someone could just wait for a few minutes before the cut off to bid. Again, as long as someone else was willing to keep others in check by also bidding a crazy amount, everything would be fine.

My recommendation would be to keep bids private. This would also stop someone from out bidding the last person by $1.00. Hiding the amount of the bid means that the person willing to pay the highest, honest amount, wins (not the highest by $1).

I'm certainly not promoting it and I'd hope everything works out fine. I certainly don't have skin in this game so it's just my 2 cents.

All the players are above board thats why I choose them and there friends are my friends....BenPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#29 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:14 AM

Are you sure these artists are going to make 2 each?

You're kidding, right?

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#30 lamrith

lamrith

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

One off or Two off, they are still limited production and will be available at no other time. The rarity honstley is not any different being 1 or 2 made ever..

It's not like a pro pattern kite anyone will be able to copy at a later time. These are artists creating something randomly out of thier own minds. They will be 100% new and original, can't get any more rare or special than that..
Rev B full sail, Mid & Full Vent
Rev SLE
Rev Blast
Large Duffel bag full of frameless ripstop and lines

An ear to ear grin when the trees are moving

#31 hyzakite

hyzakite

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

You're kidding, right?

Well, In my quest for the next "9 Artist Custom Rev", No, I wasn't kiddin'.

#32 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

9 Artist Custom Rev...huh, wha?? :matrix:

#33 hyzakite

hyzakite

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

9 Artist Custom Rev...huh, wha?? Posted Image

I can dream, can't I?

#34 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:18 AM

Is this an invitation-only event, or may any artist who can create a masterpiece (in Bazzer's opinion?) participate?

Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

#35 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

[quote name='makatakam' date='24 April 2012 - 11:18 AM' timestamp='1335295131' post='87751']
Is this an invitation-only event, or may any artist who can create a masterpiece (in Bazzer's opinion?) participate?

I'm sorry but this is by invite only and Bazzer is just one of the artists as well as being one of my great friend,
heck all these guys and gals are my great friends..... If you would like to talk about doing a Masterpiece series
I'm always open and looking for new talent and can be reached in private at beachbeach13@yahoo.com... BenPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#36 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:05 AM

[quote name='beach' date='24 April 2012 - 11:21 PM' timestamp='1335327671' post='87757']
[quote name='makatakam' date='24 April 2012 - 11:18 AM' timestamp='1335295131' post='87751']

I'm sorry but this is by invite only and Bazzer is just one of the artists as well as being one of my great friend,
heck all these guys and gals are my great friends..... If you would like to talk about doing a Masterpiece series
I'm always open and looking for new talent and can be reached in private at beachbeach13@yahoo.com... BenPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

[/quote]

I'll send you a photo when I'm done.
Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

#37 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

I do not know about anyone else, but I have started a personal fund so I can snag one of these masterpiece kites......

It is gonna get real expensive, real fast!!!! :sign_kitelife:
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#38 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:27 AM

I do not know about anyone else, but I have started a personal fund so I can snag one of these masterpiece kites......

It is gonna get real expensive, real fast!!!! :sign_kitelife:

But it's going to be fun...... BenPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#39 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:44 AM

Hey Ben! Ask Lolly if she need another order of handles made........ :blue-love:
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#40 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:49 AM

Well as the kites are coming in it's driving me crazy Posted Image, cause I can't share whats going on and from what I've seen
so far there are some really cool kites here.... This has really made some folks step up to the plate and bring out
there A-game, wow,wow,wow, is all I can say...... BenPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users