26 replies to this topic

#21 HedgeWarden

HedgeWarden

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

flew again today for a couple of hours in really good winds trying to make it all look smoother especially side slides, but could really do with some more advice especially with flying up side down it all seems abnormal and line management, seems to take an age to sort out lines so not twisted if someone can point me in the direction would really be great.

i can't believe how much fun I'm having, to have so much control is amazing.

Well, I'm jealous that you are so quickly doing side slides! Took me much more than a month. :P

Upside down advice, from Bazzer, in a clinic: park your kite upside down on the ground. You must relax, music helps a lot. Pop the kite gently into the air, and land. Keep this up - RELAX - and try to increase the length of time in the air. Increase the height from very low, to TOP OF THE WIND window. Slide the kite side to side while upside down (pull right to slide left - like squeezing a watermelon pip on one side to make it pop the other direction). Well, the idea here is to develop "muscle memory", since flying upside down cannot be done intellectually.

BTW, rising inverted from ground to the top of the wind window will take quite a bit of practice. For me months, for you probably several days. :kid_smartass:

But the strangest part of flying upside down - once you get the hang of it, it's easier to hover and slide upside down than right-side up. :kid_content:

Fair winds,
-Howard
No, this is my first childhood!

#22 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:20 PM

Nick is right - the line management tutorial is great!! One of the big secrets to it is - to do it the same way every time!! Don't guess it's the same, do it regularly, and you should have no problems with your unwind!! Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#23 lamrith

lamrith

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:10 AM

Nick is right - the line management tutorial is great!! One of the big secrets to it is - to do it the same way every time!! Don't guess it's the same, do it regularly, and you should have no problems with your unwind!! Posted Image

And wind down to the handles on the ground, don't let them rise off the gorund and spin/twist. Keeping everything locked in relative to when you landed the kite means 99% of your twists shake out when you unwind the next time.
Rev B full sail, Mid & Full Vent
Rev SLE
Rev Blast
Large Duffel bag full of frameless ripstop and lines

An ear to ear grin when the trees are moving

#24 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

And wind down to the handles on the ground, don't let them rise off the gorund and spin/twist. Keeping everything locked in relative to when you landed the kite means 99% of your twists shake out when you unwind the next time.

Absolutely...................."stroke survivor" & "lamrith" are right-on, for sure !

Many a flying day, has been spoiled, simply due to a hasty wind-up, on the previous trip. Managing your flight lines correctly, and doing it the very same way, "EVERY TIME", will result in many more enjoyable flying hours..........and a lot less Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

Sent from my regular old laptop, with real keys:

Nick, from North Carolina, USA
a.k.a. "Reef Runner"

Kitelife Subscriber #590

It's important to have as much fun as possible while we're here.
It balances out the times, when the minefield of life explodes.

J Buffett - "A Pirate Looks at Fifty"

#25 Andy S.

Andy S.

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:32 PM

Re: Line management - Beware of Red Clover when flying alone.....I s**t thee not, the damned stuff laid me low several times last year when I was flying solo!

The rear lines would snag a seed head then eventually ping it out of the ground with sufficient force to propel it through at least two other lines while simultaneously throwing several loops of each line around the offending object......I got very good at sorting out bird's nests as a result.

Freshly mowed fields with a few twigs scattered on them can also wreak havoc.

FWIW & All the best
Andy S.

#26 Mad Mik

Mad Mik
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

Thanks again for all of your advice, blows me away how kind you all have been and am confident that any problems I have in the future someone will be there, as will I if I can in the future.

I have taken the advice and watched the vids, and one thing I have learned is that spending time just winding and unwinding over and over now saves me loads of time and even more frustration, and I get more quality flying time and am loving it.

Thanks again

Mik

#27 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

That little bit longer time spent making sure all is put away properly is often a bonus come setting up time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users