Help and advice before I spend my cash please

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Mad Mik

Mad Mik
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:57 AM

Hi there dark lords, I have just lost a chance at baging my self a rev SLE on E Blag,(£105). After reading for the last few days the wisdoms of the members of this forum and being completely in awe of some of the videos by some of the very proficient flyers out there i am now ready to sign my allegiance to the dark side. Will you have this wannabe?😊

A little history to help my cause! I have been flying kites of all sorts for over twenty years, from power kites, single lines and quad line traction kites, after a gap of a year or so thought it a good idea to get the traction kite out again, mistake, after nearly ripping arms out of sockets and unable to put jumpers on without aching ( yes I'm in the UK) I have decided that I am not as flexible as I used to be, so while looking to put it on E Blag saw a 12 foot octopus kite (bought it) and was intrigued by the afore mentioned SLE rev. One site led to another and here I am, willing to make an arse of myself while learning the ropes or strings!

If you feel like accepting this bumbling fool into your midst I ask for nothing more than your wisdom and patience so here goes with a question.

After realising that for not much more than £105 the second hand kite went for I could get a new EXP (£164) and for a few quids more (£190) I could get a 1.5 vented or a 1.5 SLE with extra ulta light weight leading edge all with lines and handles dvd etc.

So what do you think is my best option for a bloke who's never flown a rev before but who doesn't have the exta cash to keep upgrading ?

I wait with held breath for your acceptance and if you don't mind your advice.

Many thanks in advance your servent

Mik

#2 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:11 AM

Hi there dark lords, I have just lost a chance at baging my self a rev SLE on E Blag,(£105). After reading for the last few days the wisdoms of the members of this forum and being completely in awe of some of the videos by some of the very proficient flyers out there i am now ready to sign my allegiance to the dark side. Will you have this wannabe?😊

A little history to help my cause! I have been flying kites of all sorts for over twenty years, from power kites, single lines and quad line traction kites, after a gap of a year or so thought it a good idea to get the traction kite out again, mistake, after nearly ripping arms out of sockets and unable to put jumpers on without aching ( yes I'm in the UK) I have decided that I am not as flexible as I used to be, so while looking to put it on E Blag saw a 12 foot octopus kite (bought it) and was intrigued by the afore mentioned SLE rev. One site led to another and here I am, willing to make an arse of myself while learning the ropes or strings!

If you feel like accepting this bumbling fool into your midst I ask for nothing more than your wisdom and patience so here goes with a question.

After realising that for not much more than £105 the second hand kite went for I could get a new EXP (£164) and for a few quids more (£190) I could get a 1.5 vented or a 1.5 SLE with extra ulta light weight leading edge all with lines and handles dvd etc.

So what do you think is my best option for a bloke who's never flown a rev before but who doesn't have the exta cash to keep upgrading ?

I wait with held breath for your acceptance and if you don't mind your advice.

Many thanks in advance your servent

Mik

Welcome to the family Mic!

Both the EXP and the SLE will serve you well. If you are able to go for the 1.5 SLE, I think it would be a good idea. The kite is a little bit more tuned to fly than the EXP, and is made with a better fabric. Just be sure that you get the 1/4" rods as opposed to the big 1/2" SLE. As far as choosing between a vented and a full sail, that all depends on the type of wind you are used to dealing with. I would say that if your area usually has wind below 8mph, go with the full sail. If the wind is usually higher than that, go with the vented.

In all honesty, you'll probably want to start saving up, because once the hooks are set, you'll be buying a full set of B Pros soon enough.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

Welcome to the forum! Posted Image

It sounds like you've already got the itch, and you haven't even flown a Rev yet! And it sounds like you would enjoy it..... The EXP and SLE are fine kites.
If you can put together the money, getting a standard B-Series kite will serve you well. It comes with 2 frames, comes in a choice of full sail, medium vented, and full vented configurations, and comes with the adjustable leaders attached to the handles. Shouldn't need to upgrade for awhile....
I bought it a full sail (no venting) standard B-Series as my first Rev and I haven't regretted it, even though it doesn't get as much airtime as it used to.

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#4 lamrith

lamrith

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:19 AM

Waty and Skypuppet sum it up vrey well!

I also second Skypuppets recommendation. IF you can swing the money, a B series is really hard to beat. If not a B then a SLE if you can get it with both LE and ready to fly.

I bought a B series just over a Month ago, I now have a B midvent, blast and just picked up a SLE for the kids to start flying. That is another thing to keep in mind, if you have family or friends that may want to fly a SLE is a nice kite to grab.

Once you "outgrow" it and buy a B you will always have to to hand to an inexprienced pilot to get them hooked..

We ARE the Dark side, our job is to bring more people to our side.. My motto is: "The 1st flight is free"Posted Image
Rev B full sail, Mid & Full Vent
Rev SLE
Rev Blast
Large Duffel bag full of frameless ripstop and lines

An ear to ear grin when the trees are moving

#5 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

I started with the 1.5 SLE, and that boy can take a licking, and keep on ticking. If you are already proficient with quad lines, no need for the large (7/16") SLE, just get one with the 1/4" LE, or if it comes with both, you'll be set for whatever. BUT, as others have said, if you can go for a B-series, do go for it, especially, if you are already proficient with flying quad lines. You'll love the mid-vent..............but if you have light winds most of the time, as mentioned earlier, go for a standard sail.................
Good luck, and welcome to the dark side..................Posted Image

Sent from my regular old laptop, with real keys:

nick, from North Carolina
a.k.a. "Reef Runner"
Kitelife Subscriber #590

It's important to have as much fun as possible while we're here.
It balances out the times, when the minefield of life explodes.

J Buffett - "A Pirate Looks at Fifty"

#6 Mad Mik

Mad Mik
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

thanks guys for your quick response, i am now looking at a b series and mid vent as i live very close to the coast with good wind conditions, the more research i do it does seem to be a little more forgiving in gusty conditions, or am i wrong?

another question, and probably proof of how much of a noob i actually am. A lot of posts and details about skills and tips relate to wraps 2 or 3, can someone explain what this means or point me in the direction of a description as to what is meant by the terms.

#7 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

anything with a vent in it is good for mitigating gusts. But how gusty is it, and how much wind typically?

2 wraps are lightweight and more flexible, for low wind. 3 wraps are heavier. There are also 4 wraps for heavy wind. Then to confuse the issue, there are race rods. Black race rods replace 2 wraps (usually a tiny bit heavier, they vary). then there are the green race, which are closer to 3s, I have no exp with those. also new SPL race, somewhere in between. Don't get overwhelmed by the choices. To start, you need 3 wraps. In addition, either 2s or black race would be a nice idea too.

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7d6a219c-f09c-4ff7-bfe6-def4ee70537f.jpg 7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpg   9318e0ca-5fb4-4414-ba00-6101d95edf46.jpg   7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg   

#8 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

thanks guys for your quick response, i am now looking at a b series and mid vent as i live very close to the coast with good wind conditions, the more research i do it does seem to be a little more forgiving in gusty conditions, or am i wrong?

another question, and probably proof of how much of a nob i actually am. A lot of posts and details about skills and tips relate to wraps 2 or 3, can someone explain what this means or point me in the direction of a description as to what is meant by the terms.

You are correct about being more forgiving, in gusty conditions. If you are on the coast, and have 15 - 20 mph winds, most of the time, you may even consider a full-vent B-series...............

As for the wraps, the more wraps, the stronger the frame............ The wraps are just referring to the thickness of the "wall" of the rod. When they are made, each additional wrap, adds thickness to the wall of the rod, and likewise, strength & weight...........

If you are flying in heavy winds, all the time, you may want to even consider a 4-wrap frame............

Here is one of the old reference charts:

Wind Range (Standard)
3-10 mph (2 wrap frame)
4-16 mph (3 wrap frame)
6-20 mph (3 wrap frame with 2 wrap LE added)

Wind Range (Vented)
5-20 mph (3 wrap frame)
6-30 mph (4 wrap frame)
10-45 mph (3 wrap frame with 4 wrap LE added)

Frame(s):
2-wrap 1/4" spars
3-wrap 1/4" spars
4-wrap 1/4" spars
SLE 3-wrap 7/16" spars

a.k.a. "Reef Runner"
Kitelife Subscriber #590

#9 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

All good advice, go for the B if you can afford it, you will not regret it.

Where abouts in Wales are you, I spent a holiday in North Wales recently and there was so much wind I didnt even get a kite out.

Just come back from South Wales and the opposite, hardly any wind. Til the last Day then 5 to 10 MPH, FANTASTIC for a few Hours.

The only REAL answer is you will end up with Full, Mid and Vented sails. Go for Full and Vented first.

The good news is if you have flown quad line power kites at least you are used to the handles.

Good luck, let us all know how you get on.

#10 Mad Mik

Mad Mik
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

Hi Baloo, I'm from west wales not far from Tenby, but originally from the midlands, nr Dudley and regularly go back to see family where about you from?

#11 Andy S.

Andy S.

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

Hi Mik,

Welcome to the crazy world of REVs, where precision replaces power and the lines at the back are more important than the ones at the front!

I'd definitely second the recommendation of a B-Series 1.5..... I've just started out with a full-sail and 3-wrap frame and I'm really enjoying it (and even progressing a bit) in anything from about 5-15mph.

FWIW & All the best
Andy S.

#12 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

G'day Mad Mik,

Welcome to the Dark Side!

I've had an EXP for a little over a month and I can tell you it is a great kite to learn on. Very forgiving and literally bounces back after a crash. I have never flown quads before (dualies for that matter) and I got it with that reason in mind.

Having said that, I have a SLE on the way this week. I was told that I would out grow the EXP in a short time, and they were right but now it's going to be my loaner/learner kite. It's a little battle worn but I wasn't too worried as it didn't cost much.

Eventually I want a full set of B PRO's but that will come in time. No matter what Rev you get you'll always be smiling flying and always planning which to get next.

Rob.

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#13 mbro

mbro

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

Hey Mad Mik, :sign_welcome:

Michael
"But now, we are free. We are up; we are off..."

#14 Mad Mik

Mad Mik
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:13 AM

Well I've done it, after initially thinking of "for just a few quid more" I've gone mad and followed the advice very kindly offered, just taken delivery of a 'b' series 1.5 mid vent.

Typically for the uk after having a heat wave for a week the weather has turned into wet, cold and miserable.

i will get it out as soon as possible and practice the advice given and on the DVD.

a huge thank you for your help, especially Katrina for going the extra mile with advice emails. i look forward to your help with the trials that i will encounter in the near future and look forward to meeting fellow flyers.

Thanks again

Mik Posted Image

#15 lamrith

lamrith

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

Welcome to the Dark side Mik!

What you are experiencing is the new kite Curse! It happens all the time. Weather will change soon enough and have you out in the air.

Enjoy!
Rev B full sail, Mid & Full Vent
Rev SLE
Rev Blast
Large Duffel bag full of frameless ripstop and lines

An ear to ear grin when the trees are moving

#16 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

Well I've done it, after initially thinking of "for just a few quid more" I've gone mad and followed the advice very kindly offered, just taken delivery of a 'b' series 1.5 mid vent.

Typically for the uk after having a heat wave for a week the weather has turned into wet, cold and miserable.

Hehe, now that you've purchased your b mid vent, you just watch - you'll get to fly it, till you get the hang of it, and then the wind will REALLY get strong - or REALLY die down, and will stay like that for a week and a half, straight Posted Imageand you won't be able to stand not-flying, and you will be on your way to buying your next Rev Posted Image

Just kidding excellent choice Mik! Posted Image

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#17 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

Hehe, now that you've purchased your b mid vent, you just watch - you'll get to fly it, till you get the hang of it, and then the wind will REALLY get strong - or REALLY die down, and will stay like that for a week and a half, straight Posted Imageand you won't be able to stand not-flying, and you will be on your way to buying your next Rev Posted Image

Just kidding excellent choice Mik! Posted Image

He heeee, been there, done that...got the Rev's. :)

#18 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

The addiction begins!!! Posted Image Remember - You can't resist the power of "The Dark Side"!!! Posted Image

Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#19 Mad Mik

Mad Mik
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

Just posted this in another discussion but thought i would let those of you helped me make the best decision ever know.
Ok got my first rev (b series mid vent) on Wednesday and typically weather the worst we've had in weeks, itching to get out but to no avail, did spend some time putting it together in the house and watching the DVD and watching Youtube feeling sorry for myself. woke up early the next morning and looking out of the window, hurray the sun is shining, so with a spring in my step was out of the house and off to usual flying field only to find 'NO WIND' AAArrggghhh.

Again spent at least an hour setting up lines and putting everything together, still no wind, change the frame for practice, then, just i am about to pack up and go home it happens, just enough wind to get into the air and stay there, after all of the advice I've had from the forum i practice the basics again and again really slowly, take of, land, take off over and over. before you know it i am hovering, flying reverse, tight turns. after an hour i have to stop as i have cramp in my face from smiling so much, this kite is amazing. Posted Image

15 min later I'm at the beach where the wind is stronger, so change frame again and agin my face is going into spasms cos now I'm doing tip touches and drawing in a crowd.

flew again today for a couple of hours in really good winds trying to make it all look smoother especially side slides, but could really do with some more advice especially with flying up side down it all seems abnormal and line management, seems to take an age to sort out lines so not twisted if someone can point me in the direction would really be great.

i can't believe how much fun I'm having, to have so much control is amazing.

#20 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

Hey Mad Mik,

Take a look at this tutorial on "Line Management".

http://kitelife.com/...ine-management/

After you watch it a couple of times, go out and try it in your yard. After a couple of unwinds and winds, you'll have it down pat. Take what you have learned to the flight field. It's really easy, once you get your line management, under control..............and you won't be wasting flying time, on untangling lines..................

Good Luck, and thank JB............(there's lots of good tutorials out there) Posted Image

a.k.a. "Reef Runner"
Kitelife Subscriber #590

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users