52 replies to this topic

#41 Bri

Bri

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

There's nothing like WSIKF to get you comfortable flying team, trust me! :) We just got back from LB and I'm already looking forward to the drive to go back! Steven's trip kinda puts things in perspective... :) Can't wait to see and fly with you all again!

#42 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:48 PM

Here's the simple secret to team flying,and the reason I had no issue with it in March...
Don't think of it as team flying - fly your own kite and put it where it needs to be, the rest will just work out B)

Seriously, team flying is just everyone flying their own kite where it needs to go ... it's only when you look at it from a spectator perspective you start thinking "holy :censored: "

When you look at it from a pilot perspective the only kite you have to worry about it your own. Beyond that, it's just little things like spacing, timing and where NOT to go if you've got a bunch of people following you. When you're in a line, just have faith that the move WILL work out if you put the kite where it needs to be.

It really is that simple - be the pilot, not the spectator.

#43 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:50 AM

Here's the simple secret to team flying,and the reason I had no issue with it in March...
Don't think of it as team flying - fly your own kite and put it where it needs to be, the rest will just work out Posted Image

Seriously, team flying is just everyone flying their own kite where it needs to go ... it's only when you look at it from a spectator perspective you start thinking "holy Posted Image "

When you look at it from a pilot perspective the only kite you have to worry about it your own. Beyond that, it's just little things like spacing, timing and where NOT to go if you've got a bunch of people following you. When you're in a line, just have faith that the move WILL work out if you put the kite where it needs to be.

It really is that simple - be the pilot, not the spectator.

This is true and the same theory I suggested for new people getting in those big grids. Doesn't matter the size of the grid, you still fly your kite and be mindful of the couple kites around you to keep your position. The rest of the grid takes care of itself from the spectator perspective.

I'll also add about flying with others that you do need to learn not to look at your lines which may or may not be twisted up with a bunch of other lines during a move. Taking a look at that big twist is sometimes enough to create a seconds panic and have your kite fall out of the air at the wrong time and/or place which can cause a lot of untangling on the ground.

Bart

#44 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:01 AM

Obviously I'm not JB.... Posted Image
but I think Scott Davis told me it will be Field B when we were at LC. However, the map is still from 2011 and shows the Rev field just south of B

sent you an e-mail with an address for Kris. You must have gone thru a tunnel and I lost you!

I was on the fence about the location last year compared to 2010. At the end of the day I actually preferred the 2010 location even if it was out of the way. It was nice to have our own sound system and free reign all day without having to move out of the way. Washrooms were also closer. I can appreciate the idea that being closer gives one the sense of being more involved with the festival however at the end of the day the flying and space was more important to me than being closer and crowded.

Bart

#45 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:12 AM

Some of us participate in WSKIF events such as handcrafted, Foster Grandparents, the four mass ascensions and the banner parade on Saturday. Being at Sid Snyder was great, with our own sound and own field, but it did make it difficult to do the other the activities. Also, there were complaints from some of the venders who thought that us being way down the beach hurt their business. Some thought that we had a large crowd down there. As I recall, that was not the case.
Field B will allow the spectators to enjoy the Rev activity as well as the rest of the festival without making the long trip down the beach. When thing are slow on field A, there will surely be Rev fliers making patterns in the sky on field B for all to enjoy.
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#46 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:19 AM

Jim, I would think you would excel at being a Foster Grandparent. And a Foster Parent, and a Foster Kite Flier, etc., etc.... Posted Image

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#47 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:53 PM

Jim, I would think you would excel at being a Foster Grandparent. And a Foster Parent, and a Foster Kite Flier, etc., etc.... Posted Image

-Alden

Don't know about all that, but I certainly excel at Foster Farms chicken (wings and thighs preferred) and Foster's Old Fashioned Freeze (it's been said that I can put my face under a soft serve and not miss any, probably not true).

#48 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:22 AM

Don't know about all that, but I certainly excel at Foster Farms chicken (wings and thighs preferred) and Foster's Old Fashioned Freeze (it's been said that I can put my face under a soft serve and not miss any, probably not true).

I hear you make a pretty big can of beer too.

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#49 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

I hear you make a pretty big can of beer too.

-Alden

That would be a "yes".

#50 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:59 PM

Some of us participate in WSKIF events such as handcrafted, Foster Grandparents, the four mass ascensions and the banner parade on Saturday. Being at Sid Snyder was great, with our own sound and own field, but it did make it difficult to do the other the activities. Also, there were complaints from some of the venders who thought that us being way down the beach hurt their business. Some thought that we had a large crowd down there. As I recall, that was not the case.
Field B will allow the spectators to enjoy the Rev activity as well as the rest of the festival without making the long trip down the beach. When thing are slow on field A, there will surely be Rev fliers making patterns in the sky on field B for all to enjoy.

It was great to see you and Lynn this weekend! Looking forward to WSKIF :) see you soon! Hugs, T

#51 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

It was great to see you and Lynn this weekend! Looking forward to WSKIF :) see you soon! Hugs, T

It was good to see you too Theresa. Lynn and I enjoyed our first time at the Grayland Kite Festival. Got lots of flying done on the beach and on the field. It was fun flying with folks who we normally only see at WSIKF. We look forward to seeing you all there.

Cheers

#52 krubbor

krubbor
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:50 PM

I want to thank all that helped me on maiden rev. flight, expecially Bri, Brett, Steven, and others sorry dont remember names. While at work today all ive been thinking of is flying. I'll see you on area B Thursday.

Robert

#53 Windbag

Windbag

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:03 PM

:matrix: What a great beach and it's covered by kite-a-holics. Single line, dual line and quad line kites are everywhere.

Here is a pix of some big guys from August 20th.

WSIKF 120820  1024.jpg

Here's a link to a video on youtube showing a pinwheel with four Rev kites. Jim Foster does a great job of explaining how the pinwheel works.

Watch this if you're wondering how to do a pinwheel.

http://www.youtube.c...w&feature=g-upl

Four more days of fun on the beach! YAY!
Have fun, Ray.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users