Question for flyers experienced with Two Revs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 genesant

genesant
  • Forum Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

For those who do this regularly - how important is it to have matching revs?

I tried flying two Revs for the first time yesterday on 120's. WOW! It made me feel like a beginner again. The reason I ask is the closest match I have is an SLE and a Ninja Eyes - both full sail with race rods. The sails fill differently and I have to back up more to keep the SLE in the sky but I should be able to maintain the other with more brake and on the first several attempts I was definitely having difficulty with that. I'm sure that with more practice it will get easier like with all things Rev related. My guess is that this is an issue only when first learning to fly two at once.

Have been watching videos of Steve De Rooy which inspired me to try. Anyway, I got a huge grin on my face trying this when I found out how much harder it is than flying single Revs one handed. Fun Fun Fun

#2 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:03 PM

For those who do this regularly? Well that would be Steve and Bazzer (edited to add: and Watty!). I would ask them directly.
You know, I can actually fly two revs at once just exactly as well as I can fly one rev one-handed, there's no difference at all for me! :P :kid_smartass:

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7d6a219c-f09c-4ff7-bfe6-def4ee70537f.jpg 7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpg   9318e0ca-5fb4-4414-ba00-6101d95edf46.jpg   7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg   

#3 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

For those who do this regularly - how important is it to have matching revs?

I tried flying two Revs for the first time yesterday on 120's. WOW! It made me feel like a beginner again. The reason I ask is the closest match I have is an SLE and a Ninja Eyes - both full sail with race rods. The sails fill differently and I have to back up more to keep the SLE in the sky but I should be able to maintain the other with more brake and on the first several attempts I was definitely having difficulty with that. I'm sure that with more practice it will get easier like with all things Rev related. My guess is that this is an issue only when first learning to fly two at once.

Have been watching videos of Steve De Rooy which inspired me to try. Anyway, I got a huge grin on my face trying this when I found out how much harder it is than flying single Revs one handed. Fun Fun Fun

Flying two at once is easier with similar kites. More important than the kites being the same is the tuning being the same. I have seen Steve De Rooy fly a b-series in one hand and a Zen in the other.

Having more of a matching pair does make it easier for learning, but I can now pick up any reasonably tuned revs and fly them together.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:50 AM

Paul Dugard can do two kites together that aren't matching, even arranged on different bridles and tuning, but as Watty said, he doesn't prefer it like this for his own equipment. I'm ranked as an extremely dangerous newbie with one in each hand, but can fly team figures pretty decently with a kite in just my right hand. The difference is hours of practice, probably five or more years in my opposite hand, but only a few hours with two at once. Very humbling each time, but now I buy two kites at once so I will get this eventually, or die trying!

#5 HedgeWarden

HedgeWarden

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:40 PM

<clip>
You know, I can actually fly two revs at once just exactly as well as I can fly one rev one-handed, there's no difference at all for me! :P :kid_smartass:

Katrina, I can say exactly the same thing - two are as easy as one for me.

Except, I think I've seen you flying (or at least transporting) one kite with one hand as if it were a faithful dog following you.

So, I'm inclined to believe you can handle two at once. ;)

(I can fly one kite with two hands - and I can crash one kite with one hand in less than 30 seconds. :lol::P)
-Howard
No, this is my first childhood!

#6 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

Katrina, I can say exactly the same thing - two are as easy as one for me.
Except, I think I've seen you flying (or at least transporting) one kite with one hand

Perhaps it was Lisa Willoughby?  I don't know if she can fly one handed, but I'll bet yes.  Alas, my one handed flying "skills" only allow me to get under the tape around a field, or maybe pick up a stake.

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7d6a219c-f09c-4ff7-bfe6-def4ee70537f.jpg 7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpg   9318e0ca-5fb4-4414-ba00-6101d95edf46.jpg   7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users