#1 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:51 PM

Are your four lines the same length?

How often do you check them per set of lines?

What are some good techniques for adjusting the length of your lines?

==

If you're using the adjustment system It is very important to have the same length lines, because any difference (i.e. one line is longer) will significantly effect the overall control and precision of your kite.

If you're on basic handles with no adjustments (stock SLE), you would probably benefit most from making sure your R-L top lines same length, and then again for the bottom R-L... Not equalizing all four at the same time, just top and bottom separately.

Without the adjustments, you'll likely find an SLE responds better after your top lines are stretched out a bit (which they will be, compared to the bottom lines).

2 cents and change.

Thoughts? Experiences? Tips?

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#2 Doug Coates

Doug Coates
  • Forum Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:34 AM

In the past I have have always used 90 lb. Laser Pro Gold. I check line lengths 3 or 4 times a year. With the Laser Pro Gold, I have noticed very little change after the intial stretching. I also swap top & bottom and left & right, periodically.

I use a very handy tool that GWTW once sold, which is a finger yoke and with a gauge. The tool can put the same load on a pair of lines and will indicate any difference in length.

Someone I know recommended Shanti Speedline, John. Last week we flew in some good wind at the Newport Festival. So, yesterday I wanted to check my 110 ft. set. I set each left & right pair on a stake, and I noticed that the brake lines were short by about an inch. I put both brake lines on one stake and checked them with my gauge with some good load and found them even. I matched up the left & right pairs. I guess stretching the brake lines evened up each left & right pair.

I can only keep on checking when the something about the kite does not feel right. I do use knots on my handles and that can mask some of the change in line length. :blink:

#3 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:37 AM

I wind my lines either directly onto the handle grips, or on winder cards UNDER TENSION using a stake in the soil.

After flying, I'll land the kite (inverted for safety naturally) remove the flying lines and drop the individual loops over a well-placed stake. Then I go back to the handles and jerk 'em up tight. The handles should align perfectly, . . . if not, I will adjust the longest line by adding in an overhand knot or a figure of eight knot into the loop. I don't use sleeving, so it only takes up a tiny amount of line length. I do this almost everytime I put my lines away.

I also use 90# LPG or LP comp

If the kite is "weird feeling" at all I land, take off the flying lines and test them on a stake. I jerk & spank my stuff pretty hard, so it's likely the lines can change lengths.

I occasionally (okay, too rarely!) rotate top and bottoms

Whenever folks complain about their revs' flying right/correctly
~ I adjust their lines first,
~ then offer a 2 wrap leading edge to borrow,
~ finally longer throw handles, if the wind conditions are too low for easy flight.

No where does it say all four line lengths are required to be exactly equal. But you do need two tops and two bottoms to match each other in lengths or you'll have to make offsetting adjustments on your leaders. That's okay IF you don't switch lines and handles around. But if you have four sets of lines and only one set of handles making all four lengths match is the best way to go, or identify them with sharpies in different colors if they aren't all four equal at a minimum. Mine are blue bottoms and red on the top flying lines.

If you wind your lines under tension (and unwind the same way!) you will never have any tough tangle problems either. You also get to test your line lengths for evenness before taking off or going home at the end of the day.

#4 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:24 AM

I have to learn everything the hard way. I started with 2 line sets/2 handles. If a set started acting up "weird feeling” a quick knot here and there (sleeving on lines or handles) would fix me up. I then got some more line sets and started changing out handles for wind sand conditions. That was a problem and nothing was ever right. After spending an afternoon in the yard taking all the knots in the handles and lines, and making all my line set even, life is good. Now I fly at the beach instead of adjust lines.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#5 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:43 AM

i do the 2 line set thing too and after every 10 flies i check the lines for stretch as ive done this for years with no problems i too use a line stake to wind up and let out lines for every flight
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#6 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:41 AM

I don't check mine as much as I should, though I'd agree with Doug, laser Pro rarely stretches provided you stretch them well while you make the set.
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#7 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:50 AM

The only time I check my lines is when the kite feels funny. A quick check is to put both handles together so they are the exact same and fly the kite straight up through the window a couple times. If your lines are uneven the kite will veer to the right or left. If I am in a hurry I usually just add a knot or adjust to the next knot to fix the problem. If I have time and a little frustrated by not being able to do what I was trying, I stake the lines down and just adjust them all so they are equal.

Differences between tops and bottoms are not that big of a deal as I can usually adjust my flying to compensate. Differences between left and right will drive you crazy. The best is to have all lines equal tho, and that is my preference.

#8 skysail

skysail

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:54 AM

I have a hook on the wall of the shop and I connect the lines and walk them out tight and compare them to each other. I put a lot of tension on them when I make sets so they don't seem to change much. I also use my adjustable handles so with the push of a button on the field I can alter the top/bottom lengths.
Posted Image
They are not perfect yet but it is easier for me than having to change to diffent knots on the handles.
John

#9 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:23 AM

I have a hook on the wall of the shop and I connect the lines and walk them out tight and compare them to each other. I put a lot of tension on them when I make sets so they don't seem to change much. I also use my adjustable handles so with the push of a button on the field I can alter the top/bottom lengths.
Posted Image
They are not perfect yet but it is easier for me than having to change to diffent knots on the handles.
John

OK now those are interesting, are they home made or production handles ?
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#10 skysail

skysail

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:03 PM

Fort, here is a picture of the line routing inside the tube. I built them of PVC with a cord lock button. Wrapped with baseball bat leather. Normally a spring loaded cord lock will not hold enough tension so I routed the line as shown in the picture (my drawing ability). Cord is 130# bridle line.
Posted Image
John

#11 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 02:53 PM

i remembver you posting those handles before they look like beach chair tubeing but a smart idea otherwise

#12 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:39 PM

Fort, here is a picture of the line routing inside the tube. I built them of PVC with a cord lock button. Wrapped with baseball bat leather. Normally a spring loaded cord lock will not hold enough tension so I routed the line as shown in the picture (my drawing ability). Cord is 130# bridle line.
Posted Image
John

Thanks allot for posting this i'll give it a try seems like it would work well when i'm flying the Power Blast 2-4 in pretty much no wind, it can get a bit frustrating slipping knots constantly to adjust to any change in wind conditions cause when that baby decides to lock in if you have a bad wrist angle LOOK OUT.

I have a handful if stainless spring locks somewhere in my toolbox they are quite heavy duty used for sailing. I'll let you know how I make out, again Thanks for putting a description.
Jim,

Posted Image

#13 Fraser

Fraser

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 02:24 AM

My kites are approaching two months old now and I couldn't be bothered checking whether the lines were the same length when I got 'em, and I haven't been able to be bothered ever since.

On Sunday, I did toy with the idea that the magnitude of the differential between left and right was such, that asking a passer-by to stand behind me and operate the left handle might be the way to go.

Do you think this might have a bearing on why I'm struggling to get up to iQuad standard.......?

#14 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:17 AM

I'm not sure about all that, but a big line difference can really drag you down.

Be bothered, it's worth it. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#15 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 12:47 PM

How to set up lines...

I use adjustment line on my handles, these are now down to very small distances between the knots on the adjustment lines.
I swap top and bottom & between handles and kite end, this evens out where the team lines run against mine, very important as we often fly over 6 flyers !!!

To set the line up, we set up competition lines together, one person one job, that way all the sleeving is the same lenght (more on that later) knots are the same etc...

One end of the lines I double knot, dont undo those - don't need to. Other end one knot all adjustments this end.

All sleeving same lenght, that way I can stretch the lines, double knotted lines on a good stake ( I once had a ground stake come out during stretching I heard it zip past me and embed itself in the ground 20 feet behind me, if had hit it would have been VERY serious!!)

Stake the lines under tension for 20 / 30 minutes, then equalise, I undo the single knot sleeving, slide that up the lines, pull all lines over the ground stake (twisted over it a couple of times to keep even tension) then mark in pen the lines at the end, pull sleeve down to mark & tie. This work for me, usually OK. check often.

Simon.

Would be interested to hear on here how Chris Goff sets his lines and handle up?

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#16 play365

play365

The Flying Squad

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:34 AM

Would be interested to hear on here how Chris Goff sets his lines and handle up?

Thats easy he does'nt :lol:
GARY

Posted Image

#17 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:07 AM

well with every new line set i pre stretch everything in my back yard and from there i usually dont have to mess with them

#18 Heino

Heino

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 01:59 PM

Hey

I am new to 4 lines... how is the easy way to make you lines the same lenght..

hope you will help. so i understand it..

my b - series i dont notice must but the shockwace was very unstable....
- - - - - - - - - -

Heino Poulsen
Billund, Denmark
Posted Image

#19 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:24 PM

Hey

I am new to 4 lines... how is the easy way to make you lines the same lenght..

hope you will help. so i understand it..

my b - series i dont notice must but the shockwace was very unstable....

The Shockwave for one is a very squirrelly kite to begin with very very touchy on the controls especially side to side movements, while the supersonic is more forgiving I still havent been able to figure out why the shockwave is so much more touchy and requires very precise movements at the handles.

That could be whats causing the unstability, it's the hardest rev to fly period, but will also hone your skills the best.
Jim,

Posted Image

#20 Heino

Heino

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:41 PM

okay thanks...