29 replies to this topic

#21 lamrith

lamrith

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:58 PM

The frames are the same size between them. Rods are the same rods, but as mentioned the JB new comes with 2&3wrap for full sail and I think 3&4wrap for the venteds..

What sets the JB apart is the change in sail fabric and the panel layout. I am sure the crew will chime in on the particulars, but the JB is designed to get better as it works in and stretches, the vertical panels channel the wind better than the SLE panels.
Rev B full sail, Mid & Full Vent
Rev SLE
Rev Blast
Large Duffel bag full of frameless ripstop and lines

An ear to ear grin when the trees are moving

#22 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,411 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

Hi,

Are the sails the same size between the JB 1.5 and The Rev 1.5 SLE ? Is it the just the rods that are different, plus the JB comes with two frame/ rods ?

If it is then I see why the JB's are better as it will give me a wider wind range.

Within a 1/4" variation, they are the same size. The panel layout variation does make a difference. Then comes the material. All JB's made today are from Icarex Polyester. Kent mentioned recently that SLE is made from nylon. That will make a difference.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#23 SAW

SAW
  • Forum Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:10 PM

Thanks, I'll order a JB 1.5 tomorrow then Posted Image

Should I go for a standard first, will this give me the best wind range and upto to what mph max ?

#24 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,411 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:23 PM

I would say it depends on your general wind conditions.
If you general have gusty winds, for example, then go for a mid vent.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#25 SAW

SAW
  • Forum Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

I notice theres not much difference in wind range between the std and mid vent, would a std be better and full vent next ?

When would I use a mid ?

Thanks.

#26 lamrith

lamrith

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:45 AM

I do not know how low a mid will start working reliably, but a std can get in the air when you can hardly feel any breeze at all with a little work since it can fully cup the air, The mid's can't do that.

How low are the winds in your area most of the time? If they are often in that 2-10mph range you will likely want a full sail with 2 and 3 wrap frames.

I have flown my full sail with 3wrap (1st day) in just over 15mph winds, it was really twitchy and quick, but it worked. Repeated and use in that wind would stretch the sail prematurely though. A Mid would have been perfect that day, but I did not own one at the time. On the other side of it was yesterday when I was only getting a puff of wind I could barely feel, but that was enough to get the full sail with 2wrap up and moving. I am not even sure if I had consistent 3mph.

Beyond that I will let one of the pro's fill you in on the midvents range, I have not flown my mid in low winds, only in 10mph+. The venteds do fly very nice though, they are a touch smoother flying when you have the wind to fly them...

Welcome back to the flock!
Rev B full sail, Mid & Full Vent
Rev SLE
Rev Blast
Large Duffel bag full of frameless ripstop and lines

An ear to ear grin when the trees are moving

#27 SAW

SAW
  • Forum Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:52 AM

As I fly duel line in light winds also mostly inland woud it be better to get a mid or full vent to use when the wind pics up :confused!:

Why is so hard to choose a colour/design arrhhh purple/black or purple/grey :kid_cussing:

#28 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

few of us, if any!... have acquired a mid-vent before owning BOTH the full vent & their full sailed kites. I'm inland my first few kites were all full sails, next go for the other end of the wind, the howling stuff. The mid-vent is a great kite, but only because of it's transitioning between the two extremes.

I like a full sail to at least double digits on a wind meter, but I flail and love to jerk the kite around de-powering and snapping it back to fill again with pressure. Friends can't wait to get out their mid-vents as a first choice, pushing it lower and higher than might seem appropriate. Ultimately it's all about you and your own preferences.

Heck, I'll fly my Zen to double digits !

colors/design parameters are another example of personal preference, I have some ugly kites and some beautiful ones. When the sky is filled with Revs, I like mine to still stand-out (but don't we all feel like that?)

I just had a couple of Eliot's Shook's mesh masterpiece kites created (wife only knows about one of them!) I furnished some R/W/B tie-dyed icarex and special leading edge material, all the rest of the kite is white stripes except one in color and the opening pattern is his 70-75%, . . . so basically these 2 wings will be equal to mid-vents.

Now, I just need to la"MASTER" them (with one in each hand).

#29 SAW

SAW
  • Forum Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:18 PM

One standard JB 1.5 in purple/black ordered Posted Image

Gone with the 90lb/80ft lines, 120ft is for mostly team flying right ?

#30 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

One standard JB 1.5 in purple/black ordered Posted Image

Gone with the 90lb/80ft lines, 120ft is for mostly team flying right ?

Good choice. I prefer the purple/black to the purple/grey. Yes, 120s are the standard for team. 80s are nice to have too, but I prefer 120s all the time, not just for team.

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7d6a219c-f09c-4ff7-bfe6-def4ee70537f.jpg 7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpg   9318e0ca-5fb4-4414-ba00-6101d95edf46.jpg   7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users