Photo
- - - - -

Five broken spars - am I doing it wrong???

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Havin'aBlast!

Havin'aBlast!
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

Hi, Folks.

First post - just introducing myself and the family (see photo below). I'm Matt.

I bought a Blast from windpowersports.com in 2003 or so and went through four center spars pretty quickly! So I bought a Blade III 4.9 to satisfy the power lust, and the Rev stayed in its bag for years (sans center spar). I then sold the Blade.

A couple of weeks ago, I finally got two new spars courtesy of Stephen at kiteworld.co.uk.... and then a Shockwave from eBay.... and a second-hand, colour-coded Super Blast 2.4! Here they all are... ;)

Posted Image

Bust one of the outer verticals on the Super Blast today - didn't feel too strong a wind but I don't really know it's flying history (ie how abused it was before I got it). Anyway, during the course of the day I managed to fly all three including a 20ft scud on the sand with the Blast and some night flying with the Shockwave.

I certainly won't claim to 'get' the Shockwave yet, but it certainly doesn't like to slide turn like the Blast and if it loses the wind, it doesn't catch again and just comes straight down. I do like it though and don't mind the apparent narrower controls.

On the 'workbench' right now is some kind of ultralight contraption - sail made of bin-liner (may move to florist's cellophane), brown parcel tape, some bendy straws, a few lengths of fibreglass rod I reclaimed from a tri-plane kite that didn't fly well as well as the lines from it. Not sure if the rods are 2.5 or 3mm or so, but can choose to put either one or two in the leading edge (1.5m in length). The third I cut for two verticals. I've taped a couple of cut-down bendy straws to each of the two wingtips and one each to the bottom points. Also a couple of straight sections along the leading edge to hold the leading edge captive. To prevent the rod from poking through the bend, I knotted some string, cut the knot off and stuffed it in the straw for the rod to press against. It has flown. On 12 foot lines I did a left spin, right spin, dive stop and land - I don't know 1-3mph wind?. Then the verticals came unstuck and the knots on the bridle worked loose and it's not flown since. So far, the sail, frame and bridle weight 95 grams (don't remember if that was one or two leading edge spars) - 135g if you count the lines, chopsticks for handles and the carrier bag in which I took all to the park. Good fun making it, and it might even fly again! ;)

I've also just made myself a set of handles. Back when I broke the fourth spar in the Blast (headphones on, crescendo in the music, heart-felt downwind launch in >20mph), I stuffed the wrapped/extended handles into the sand, collected in the lines and left the beach. So I've been flying it lately with 11" handles. Into the workshop and cut up some steel pipe which happened to have a 180 degree bend in it and straight sections either side. I cut down the middle and ended up with two 15 inch handles, each with a 90 deg bend. Drilled holes at the top, at 11, 13 and 15 inches and cut and bent some triangles out of wire coat hanger. Made leaders out of paracord and took the foam handlebar grips off an old exercise bike. I even hot-glued some end caps in the top of the tube! ;) Apart from the foam not being quite dense enough to prevent me from feeling the shape of the steel tube, I flew the Blast and Super Blast on the beach today and got on well. I found that I settled on a 13 inch set up where I could hold them a few inches down from the top and the (considerable!) pull felt balanced top and bottom. Here is a photo of them - the loops on the back I use to stake them. I'm really annoyed that this foam is too soft.

Posted Image

SO happy to be flying Revs again!!

Regards,
Matt.

#2 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:36 PM

First, welcome to the Rev Forum.

It looks to me as though you have the spars on the front of the sail.

They should all go on the back of the sail.
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#3 Havin'aBlast!

Havin'aBlast!
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:47 PM

Hi, Jim.

Top-tip but thankfully, I've never had to learn that the hard way. It is quite hard to tell in that photo but they are all correct. (I had to go back to the original, just to be sure.)

Cheers,
Matt.

#4 beach

beach

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:40 PM

First welcome to the Family and it does look as if those spars on on the front they need to go on the back.....Posted Image
The good thing is I know I'm not alone, when I first started I flew that way for a month...... Anyway welcome
and have fun cause you have got yourself a handful of kites, lots of fun but still a handful...... If I can ever be
of service let me know...... BenPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5 Havin'aBlast!

Havin'aBlast!
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:13 PM

Cheers, Ben.

That's just the reenforcing tape sewn onto the sails. It's directly infront of each spar and from this angle, does make it look like I got it wrong. I never have yet, though. ;)

Regarding these kites being a handful,I've been clicking around the forum and one of the things that I don't get yet is whether it's relevant to talk about "loose grip" and "relaxed upper body" when you're generating serious power with a Blast. I can't keep the power on for extended periods so I do go loose and hover and float but the level of fatigue I get with the power on suggests it might be worth checking my technique. That said, my wrists aren't great to begin with. While learning my new handles, I'll just try and be concious of my grip and carry on doing what I do - other than the power lusting tendencies, it seems to be working fine for me.

I do wish sometimes that I had a "normal" Rev in the collection.

#6 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:39 PM

Hi Matt...

Glad you're "Havin'aBlast"!

Welcome to the Rev Family.

I'm sure there are some Rev flyers in your "neck of the woods", you'll probably see some posts soon. There are, most likely, some big kite festivals in your area, where Rev Heads will certainly be. I am quite confident that they'll let you try out the 1.5's so you can fly and try the "normal rev" as you mentioned.

Without seeing you fly, where are your hands when flying? Ideally, you would be best off to have them lower- more toward your waist than high over head or above your shoulders. There will be less fatigue that way. That's part of the relaxed position that you're referring to.

Feel free to ask away; everyone on the forum is happy to help out and share their knowledge.

Happy flying.
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#7 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

Welcome to the speedy/powerful darkside.

I don't know how you're managing to bust up spars like that, I'm a 350 pound man and I frequently fly these kites and I'm able to hold them back quite considerably (meaning they don't move me)

I've only managed to blow out a vertical spar once on the power blast 2-4 in the many years of flying these and this is while holding them under power for quite some time.

Seeing as those are old colors I have to wonder if the spars may have some micro cracks in them from age or storage mishaps.

Hope you work this out, You have a great matched set that are hard to come by especially for older sail styles and colors.

Rip it up, Jim
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#8 Havin'aBlast!

Havin'aBlast!
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:26 AM

Hi, Laura and Jim.

I know with power on my arms are often up. One of the reasons I wanted to get back into the Revs was for upper body exercise - I'll work at keeping it all a bit tighter. For the rest of the time, I don't actually know! I used to fly a lot with my old handles dangling on a finger tip so there must be some muscle memory left over from that and I'm certainly an elbows-in flyer. But as for arms up or down, I'll have to check next time I fly. Thinking about it, I probably spend a lot of time flying the Blast with my left arm behind my back - it seems to either be figure of eights for power with a snap turn to hover, or low-level floats across the window generally right to left. I'll pay more attention to my hands next time...

As for spars - I don't actually remember the details of any of the center spar breaks, other than that last biggy! I do remember ordering the second pair of spares and I've now got enough cracked bits, given a Dremel and half a dozen ferrules, to make a super-stiff new leading edge. I also don't know any other fat leading edge flyers, only a couple of 1/4" EXPs, so all these bits must be mine. I guess it was repeating the rush of the rapid onset of power that fatigued them so quickly. As for the vertical on the 2.4, that was my first vertical ever to go. It can't have been any more than 8-10mph because I had literally just switched from the Blast to the 2.4 and I was only on my second figure of eight under power. It just went limp. I thought it had popped out completely because I've not tightened the sail yet but I then saw 2/3rds of it dangling from the lower endcap/bungee, at the back of the kite of course! ;) Still, that's a longer stake I've got now.

I tried going along to a kite club meet recently, but I either turned up too late or I think I actually went to the wrong beach. Hopefully meeting up next weekend with the EXP flyer who introduced me to Revs. Don't know if I'll ever meet Supersonic-Stan again - I believe he had to fork out for damage to a car roof after flying too close to a road (and apparently loosing it!)

Cheers for now,
Matt.

#9 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

One thing to check if you are breaking leading edge rods is to make sure the ferule's are glued in properly. With the flexing of the leading edge, and impacts, the ferule's can break loose and start to slide around. If the ferule slides inside of the rod enough, it will add excessive stress on the other rod which will cause it to split and break. As for the verticals, the only time these will break is if flown in excessive winds OR after the rod has had some serious contact with the ground. When you slam it in the ground, it will develop stress fractures that will look and seem ok, and the rod will hold up while you fly but because it is already weak, when a gust hits or you give some hard control the rod will snap. This gives the impression that it broke in what one would refer to as normal winds that it has handled many times before. The truth is that it broke much earlier when it hit the ground and only gave way when it was in the air.

Hope that helps.

#10 Havin'aBlast!

Havin'aBlast!
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:50 AM

Thanks, Kent.

That's a good point. I think with the vertical on the 2.4, stress fractures being the root cause of the bust is quite likely. My lady even said that - "you don't know what it's been through before". I just have to buy another (...and see which one goes next).

Regarding the Blast center spars, the first did split at an end. Thereafter, I wrapped the ends tightly with tape (for what it was worth) and the other three all went somewhere near the middle. Early on there would have been some high-impact crashes, but I think I was just seriously over-egging it.

I've read on here about ferrules coming loose and the troubles that can cause. It's something I'll check on all the kites soon. Another top-tip! Thanks.

With all my broken bits, do you think it's reasonable to consider making up a four section leading edge (if I can get hold of some new ferrules)?

Regards,
Matt.

#11 mbro

mbro

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:52 AM

Yes, Build yourself a travel frame,a dremel tool works great for cutting rods(with a cutting blade on it), I think there's

a post somewhere on here about gluing Ferrules. Good Luck and have fun!:)
Michael
"But now, we are free. We are up; we are off..."

#12 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:08 AM

We have ferules in stock if you can't find any in your area.

One more thing to check. We did have one Blast kite that was experiencing the same thing you are with the leading edge snapping. What had happened is that the center loop had came off the leading edge without the customer realizing this. This put excessive stress on the leading edge and he snapped about 3-4 center rods before we figured out what was going on.

You may want to check your bridle to make sure that it is connected at all the right points. The bridle should be attached to the leading edge in 5 places. One on each wing tip, one on each of the outer vertical spars and the fifth connection point in the very center of the leading edge. You should also have one connection point on each of the bottom vertical spars for the lower bridles.

Hope this helps. Leading edge spars breaking is very uncommon. I fly my 2-4 quite regularly and over the last 6 years of flying it, I think I have only gone through 2 leading edge spars and both of those were caused by hard contact with the ground in very high wind conditions.

#13 Havin'aBlast!

Havin'aBlast!
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:27 AM

Cheers, Michael/Kent.

I'm glad I kept all the old bits of broken spar, then!

Kent - that's an interesting one! Looking at the photo of the three kites I posted in the first post, looks like all three including the Blast have the bridle correctly attached around the center of the center spar. Ho, hum... Next time it's out I'll check the tension on that section when it's staked. I guess flexing the wing a little to simulate load and checking again wouldn't hurt, either.

I've just been reading up on spar labels and spar types. I think most are 3-wrap but I'm sure I've got (or had) some Pro-Only (2 wrap?) somewhere... not sure which kite, nor whether intact or broken, but it's probably about time I learned the difference. But I'm not saying that I haven't had some hard ground contact, either... Posted Image

Bring on the extra hour of evening light, next week!!!!
Matt.

[Edit: re ferrules - I'll enquire in the UK, but failing that, are you able to quote for half a dozen shipped to the UK?]

#14 TerryB

TerryB

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:20 PM

Hi Matt
Wow you are having a fun time, where are you at in scotland, I am in Aberdeenshire nice to see another scot!
Take care Terry.

#15 Havin'aBlast!

Havin'aBlast!
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

Hi Matt
Wow you are having a fun time, where are you at in scotland, I am in Aberdeenshire nice to see another scot!
Take care Terry.

Hi, Terry.

Fun, aye!!! :w00t::w00t::devil:

I'm in Fife, so plenty beaches - and therefore sail care. Do you know many/any other Rev flyers up this way?

Matt.

#16 TerryB

TerryB

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

Hi, Terry.

Fun, aye!!! :w00t::w00t::devil:

I'm in Fife, so plenty beaches - and therefore sail care. Do you know many/any other Rev flyers up this way?

Matt.

I have yet to see another rev in the sky in Scotland, only been flying one year but still can't get enough :blue-cool:

Some weekends we get down to St Andrews and love to fly the beach at the old course, usually lots of buggy boys there.

I like your selection of speed freaks! I fly a std 1.5 and my new baby a 1.5 JB vented, on race frame. Thinking of a supersonic next :devil:

Will be travelling to France for the Easter kite festival, will meet other revs there.

Would enjoy to meet up with you sometime on a beach somewhere :blink:

Take care and don't break expensive bits.

Terry

#17 TerryB

TerryB

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:25 AM

Hi Matt
Hope you are still catching a breeze or two!
Have joined the darker side of the dark side now with adding a supersonic to my kite bag now.
Can't fly it just yet as traveling again. Managed to catch a lift on waterfront park in the French quarter of New Orleans last night.
Looking forward to getting back to bonnie Scotland.
Take care
Terry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users