16 replies to this topic

#1 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

Well I'm in Nags Head, North Carolina to do some lessons and then some sales techniques for selling Rev's, wow
is all I can say for sure. I'm next to the highway on 40 foot line half in a parking lot and it's for sure a challenge
to fly.....Posted Image I mean it's not something I can't do but to teach others is, well it just is, but "Kitty Hawk" needed
me so here I am, did I mention my flight was delayed 4 hours yesterday.......Posted Image The good part of it all is I will
get a chance to spend some time with some retailers and help them work out the fact of it's not about the kite
but the entire adventure and the way of life......Posted Image So "Family" here I am on another adventure in another place
and come hell or high water I'm going to fly and have fun....Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Ben

Attached Thumbnails

• P1020873.JPG
  • P1020878.JPG
  • P1020887.JPG

#2 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

Safe travels bro....
Remember, music up, stress low!

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#3 lamrith

lamrith

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:07 PM

Diggin that pole harness for training Looks like a cool way to safely get new fliers an understanding of controls dynamics in limited space..Posted Image
Rev B full sail, Mid & Full Vent
Rev SLE
Rev Blast
Large Duffel bag full of frameless ripstop and lines

An ear to ear grin when the trees are moving

#4 Cath Shook

Cath Shook

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:11 AM

Diggin that pole harness for training Looks like a cool way to safely get new fliers an understanding of controls dynamics in limited space..Posted Image

Not the intent - no place else allowed to fly. Park rangers on the warpath again, who knows what was done to them this time ...

Try the north beach area for real Rev antics!

Cath
cath@flyingsmileskites.com
www.FlyingSmilesKites.com
252-453-8442

Come see us at Flying Smiles Kites when you're on the Outer Banks of NC!

Kites make me smile ... Revs make me grin!

"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

#5 jburka

jburka

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:49 AM

Just remember, Ben, the Kitty Hawk vans really don't like the sand...

Have fun while you're down there. And please make sure the newbies watch out for those power lines!

#6 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:48 AM

Use the kites from the store, that way they get to buy new ones for you when the other ones get wrecked... Posted Image

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#7 Khal

Khal

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:54 AM

Not the intent - no place else allowed to fly. Park rangers on the warpath again, who knows what was done to them this time ...

Try the north beach area for real Rev antics!

Wow. I've never seen Jockey's Ridge with no kites on it before. Sucks to be stuck in a parking lot with that great big open sandy area right across the street. Do the rangers do this often? Is it just stunt kites? What does this mean for the various kite festivals scheduled there this spring and summer? That's gotta hurt KHK.

Speaking of the north beaches, I know there's a lot of sand up there but do you ever have any problems with the 4x4 traffic on the beach? I'd worry about not hearing them approach over the sound of the surf, and the possibility of getting lines (or worse) run over. What's the best way to coexist with them?
Brian

Posted Image Posted Image

#8 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:56 AM

if you see wheel ruts or tracks across the ground, DON'T across that area

#9 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:53 AM

So what's up with Jockey's Ridge, and the Park Rangers ??? Why can't you fly over on the dunes? That's my summer flying spot ! YIKES !

Oh Ben, looks to me like you are making your way over to Sooey's BBQ !

Sent from my regular old laptop, with real keys:

Nick, from North Carolina, USA
a.k.a. "Reef Runner"

Kitelife Subscriber #590

It's important to have as much fun as possible while we're here.
It balances out the times, when the minefield of life explodes.

J Buffett - "A Pirate Looks at Fifty"

#10 Khal

Khal

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:05 AM

if you see wheel ruts or tracks across the ground, DON'T across that area

Good advice, and I'm certainly not disagreeing. Staying away from the 4x4 (and even the ATV) traffic is my goal. It just seems like that doesn't leave a lot of room for decent length lines even on the big northern NC beaches, at least when the wind is across rather than along the beach. I wonder if those who frequent those beaches (or other beaches with vehicular access) more often than I have any tips.
Brian

#11 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:51 PM

Well as I pack up to come home for 4 days I have something to share.....Posted Image Today I got the chance to teach all
the managers of "Kitty Hawk Kites" to fly out at the kite boarding school and I have to admit it went really well
and out of 24 managers/staff I'd say over half really got it and had fun.... I'll tell you for me when I see the light
go on and that smile that comes to there face I remember why I do this, I got to share the passion and bring in
new Family members......Posted Image Sure it's a job but it's about way more than that, see we now have some new kite
fliers and hopefully some new Family members, I love what I do...... BenPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• P1020891.JPG
  • P1020899.JPG
  • P1020901.JPG

#12 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

Well as I pack up to come home for 4 days I have something to share.....Posted Image Today I got the chance to teach all
the managers of "Kitty Hawk Kites" to fly out at the kite boarding school and I have to admit it went really well
and out of 24 managers/staff I'd say over half really got it and had fun.... I'll tell you for me when I see the light
go on and that smile that comes to there face I remember why I do this, I got to share the passion and bring in
new Family members......Posted Image Sure it's a job but it's about way more than that, see we now have some new kite
fliers and hopefully some new Family members, I love what I do...... BenPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Hey Ben, so based on these pics, you must have gone up to Corolla ? I'm confused...................first you were in Sooey's parking lot, then you were at the Currituck Lighthouse............. You have got to explain this trip in more detail.................

a.k.a. "Reef Runner"

Kitelife Subscriber #590

#13 Cath Shook

Cath Shook

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:09 AM

Khal - in the 4 x 4 area, try Penny's Hill. Other than that, look for low tide and when you come by I'll tell you where's good during that period :)

Reef - remember that khk has store from Ocrakoke to Corolla.

All, for personal time, you can fly on Jockey's Ridge if you stay away from the first/highway dune line. Go towards the sound, from the bowl (beyond that 1st dune) and to the west. khk will continue to get permits for festivals, one expects.

Cath
252-453-8442

#14 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:13 AM

Reef - remember that khk has store from Ocrakoke to Corolla.

You are correct. I wasn't thinking about their other stores. That second set of pics, looked like FSK's territory..........Posted Image

a.k.a. "Reef Runner"

Kitelife Subscriber #590

#15 Khal

Khal

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:01 AM

You are correct. I wasn't thinking about their other stores. That second set of pics, looked like FSK's territory..........Posted Image

Yeah. Those pics had me wondering if Ben went up to teach FSK's managers how to fly Rev's too. (Just kidding Cath!) :kid_devlish:
Brian

#16 Khal

Khal

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

Khal - in the 4 x 4 area, try Penny's Hill. Other than that, look for low tide and when you come by I'll tell you where's good during that period :)

Thanks, Cath. I don't know Penny's Hill, but I knew you'd point me in the right direction. :)

All, for personal time, you can fly on Jockey's Ridge if you stay away from the first/highway dune line. Go towards the sound, from the bowl (beyond that 1st dune) and to the west. khk will continue to get permits for festivals, one expects.

Good to know. I understand them wanting to keep people away from the highway, but I have no clue what's wrong with the first dune line. I see people fly there all the time. Not that it isn't better flying up on top of the big dunes.
Brian

#17 Cath Shook

Cath Shook

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:59 PM

Yeah. Those pics had me wondering if Ben went up to teach FSK's managers how to fly Rev's too. (Just kidding Cath!) :kid_devlish:

Yah ... Ben is not allowed to touch any kite that I'm actually going to fly :kid_cussing: - I don't like guessing which part he took and yet it flies!! We only got to see him for a few minutes :sly: to make sure he'd seen something I was bugging him about. He really did try to work with his customers. :blink:

However, he did give Eliot a pointer or two :kid_content: on how to fly a Rev in reverse. :kid_smartass: :kid_smartass:

Cath
252-453-8442

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users