#1 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm hoping someone has tips for breaking down the Shockwave properly and fitting it back into the bag. Right now, it is crisp/fresh/new, specifically the clear Mylar. To fit it back in the bag, I had to fold the Mylar pretty good while rolling it up - geez, it sure does sound stiff. I also had to rotate the LE endcaps over to the front side of the kite. I had to roll the sail up quite a bit tighter than I am comfortable with altogether, and I'm storing the vertical spars in the mesh pouch on the bag. The SLE spars are broken down, but I left them inside the LE.

Anybody have tips for breaking down a Shockwave so it all fits back in the bag? Am I concerned about the Mylar for no reason?

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#2 hyzakite

hyzakite

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:53 PM

I wouldn't worry about the mylar too much, I've seen rev's come in all kinds of diameter sleeves, the newer red colored sleeves could almost hold 2 1.5's. Just fold over the leading edge loosely after you tri-fold the kite and just keep flipping rather than rolling so the kite is more of an oval going into the sleeve and not round shape going into the sleeve. Seems to work great for me especially with the wider sleeves.

#3 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:06 AM

Thanks for the reply!

I began trying to put away the Shockwave by folding it over and over, into an oval shape like hyzakite described. However, rolled fairly tightly into an oval wouldn't allow it to fit back in the sleeve, and the sleeve is no wider than a 1.5 sleeve. That's when I started rolling it even tighter, which is crunching the mylar a bit.
The Shockwave is brand new, so maybe after I fly it a few times the sail will "soften" up a little, and roll up a little tighter. If that doesn't work I might try removing the SLE every time I break it down, but I don't think that's good for the LE material.

Thanks for any other tips anyone can provide. I'm trying to get some serious longevity out of my kites, and knowing how to put them away properly should add to that.

Have Rev, Will Travel

#4 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:22 PM

It takes a long time for that Mylar to soften up, Try and keep the curls going the same way when you fold it in 3rds and don't worry about flipping the top endcaps around I have to as well on all my speed series. As far as the down struts no fears roll them up in the sail up in the mylar area like you would any other Rev.

One thing I can say is when you break down the LE leave a good 3-4" space between sticks where it folds you don't want that area tight.

It took me years to get the mylar semi soft and finally took playing in salt water for it to finally start, Just make sure you rinse it good if you do.

I don't remember if they suggest putting the down spars behind the shock cord on the smaller speed series I know they do with the power blast, However I would suggest doing it with the shockwave as well they pull pretty good and that just keeps the shockcord from pulling through it does not effect how it flies.

Have fun, You have the hardest Rev to control fly that thing as often as you can and try to do everything you can with it. Once you get good at controlling that you'll be a master on anything else rev has to offer effortlessly.

Any questions you may have with the speed series I'll try my best to answer I've owned and flown them all for many years, They are the most fun.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#5 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:21 AM

Thanks alot FortFlyer! Thanks for the detailed reply!

I'm definitely leaving some space between SLE sticks, in an effort to preserve the LE material.
After watching the DVD that came with the Shockwave (actually the Blast part of the vid) and getting your advice and awindofchange's advice, I am putting the verticals behind the shock cord before hooking into the bottom endcap. Great tip!

I will be flying it often! After flying the SW yesterday, I was reminded of how I got into sport kites in the first place - flying 2m speed foils. Super fast, with much pull. I have a feeling that I will be displaying the Shockwave as my favorite Rev soon - even over my B-Series kites!

Thanks for offering to let me pick your brain FortFlyer - I'll be taking you up on that soon enough!

Have Rev, Will Travel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users