10 replies to this topic

#1 NJI

NJI
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

Posted this on the KiteLife forum as well:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm Jim, very new to the forum and though not a quad newbie, I wonder at times!...I've got a bag full of dusty kites! I've flown so infrequently that my skills are thin! Though I've knocked (or crashed!) the dust off of most of them now in the last month! This forum and the REV forum are super resources...had nothing like this (no kidding) when I bought my first air machine in 94.

I have 3 Rev's...two identical 1.5's (bought for stacking) from 95, and a Rev II from about the same time...when I say I wonder about being a newbie...I've flown my Rev's set up incorrectly for 17 years! I just learned about 3 weeks ago that the vertical spars are to be installed on the back side of the sail...hmmm, ok, though I can't hover in all the clock positions, I can hover in most and reading about spar installation it was said that these babies are more stable with them installed correctly...so I'm stoked to see if I really have any skill! Ok, enough blah blah blah...

My first question for the collective is regarding the usable wind range for a stock Rev 1.5...I realize that is a two part question when you have to consider line weight...so, lemme rephrase...hypothetically, I've got 300# line, what's the Rev's wind limit? I'd imagine that's spare strength based...on a more advanced line of thinking, frame replacement/augmentation...thoughts and suggestions are invited...I like to stack my 1.5's and wonder if I'm close to over stressing the lead kite...

on the softer side of things, I've got 50' 50# line, how light a breeze would you expect a 1.5 to fly reasonably?

Thanks!

#2 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

Hello NJI, and welcome to the forum!!

The 1.5's wind limits IMO are based mostly on frame strength and sail pattern. With a full-sail 1.5 and a Super Leading Edge (SLE) I believe you could fly up around the 18 mph mark, however, it's not going to be physically comfortable to do so.

On 50' 50# line, once again, the frame you use will make a world of difference as to how well it flies in light winds. With a Race or 2 wrap frame, you can reasonably fly (and trick) a 1.5 down to around 2 mph, and even less then that if you are willing to move lots and sacrifice some of the tricking ability.

I'll leave the stack questions for someone else, I've yet to try it myself!!

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#3 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

300# line??? You flying an elephant?? For most single Revs, 90# line will do very well!! I agree with switching to the lighter, 1/4", 2 wrap or race frame for lower wind performance!! 2mph may be a little ambitious, but you could easily get down to the 3-4mph range!! A bit of practice can get you lower still!! That 50'x50# set of lines is very nice for that range too!! I also agree on the high end, you'd probably stretch the sail before over flexing those SLE rods!! I'd consider getting a vented kite for blowing conditions!! All the frames are interchangeable between the 1.5 sails, so it's easy to match frames to the wind conditions!!

I don't have any experience stacking, so I'll let others comment on that!!!

PS: Welcome to the "Dark Side"!!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#4 NJI

NJI
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:57 AM

Good thoughts...the 300# line was put hypothetically! as in not part of the equation! I have several 90# line sets.

but again, good thoughts. I'm taking away from this that the wind range of the 1.5 is 3ish to 18 mph.

I'm also happy to hear that a two stack of 1.5's doesn't require a beefed up frame set...

Thanks!

#5 NJI

NJI
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:06 AM

forgot to ask, line set age...when do you replace a line set? All 4 of my quad sets are 15 years old...

#6 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

Worn lines more than age!! It's not how old, but how worn!! Flying team is hard on lines, but for solo flying, it's very different!! As long as you don't see any fraying, or they still slide through each other OK, use them!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#7 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:58 AM

If your lines are high quality spectra lines, they will virtually last forever. As long as they don't have extreme wear spots or are on the verge of breaking, I'd just use them. I have linesets that are working on 10 years old that still fly just fine.

90# is plenty strong enough for everything except maybe those 25mph days...but I wouldn't recommend flying in those winds as you will stretch out your sail or start damaging frames. Like mentioned above, a full vent Rev would be the perfect option for winds starting around 12 mph and going up to 35mph. With different framesets, you could also extend the range of the vented for both lighter winds and higher winds.

The different frames are truly awesome as you can change the frames in usually less than a minute and have a totally different kite. Frames are all sold individually so you could purchase whatever frame you wanted / needed and still use the same sail you have now. As also mentioned above, all frames are completely interchangeable for the 1.5 series kites (EXP, 1.5SLE and the B-Series). The available frames are listed below:

2 wrap : lightest frame available - normally labeled as "Professional Use Only".
Race Rods : slightly heavier than 2 wraps but nearly as strong as 3 wraps. Made from a different modulus carbon which makes it flex differently. (Snaps back into shape faster - hence RACE). Normally labeled as "Race"
3 Wrap : Most common rod in all 1.5 models. This can be labeled as "EXP" for the EXP kites, or will be labeled as "Ultra Light" for all other kites. Regardless of label, they are both the same.
4 Wrap : These rods are heavier then the 3 wrap rods and are usually supplied in the vented models. They are usually labeled as "Strong".

The "Wrap" is loosely referred to as how many wraps of carbon are on the rod. 2 wrap rods have two wraps of carbon, 3 wrap = 3 wraps of carbon etc... The more wraps of carbon, the stronger / and heavier / the rod is.

In addition to the above, you also have the SLE rods. SLE = Super Leading Edge The SLE rods are larger diameter rods than the normal Standard rods. SLE rods are 7/16" diameter (about the size of a dime) and the standard rods are 1/4" rods (about the size of a pencil). SLE rods also come in 3 wrap and 4 wrap variations. SLE rods are much stiffer/stronger than the same wrapped standard rods and are also heavier.

By mixing and matching rods, you can customize your Rev for whatever winds or flying style you desire. Flying solo, I enjoy flying with the SLE rods as it makes the kite much more twitchy and faster. Flying team or working on precision, I will switch out the SLE rods for the Standard rods because they slow the kite down a bit and make the kite much less twitchy, making it easier to hold hovers and do fine precision.

In addition to the above rods, there are a couple others that are also available but are not as common:
Travel Frame : 3 wrap set that is cut down and sleeved so that you can pack your complete 1.5 series kite into the size of a laptop case (about 14" total length).
Green Race : Race Frame that has some Rev magic on it that makes them nearly indestructible. They are Green in color and are labeled "Race" like the above.
1.5 Zen Frame : 2 wrap frame from a special carbon that looks totally awesome. Has the "Zen" label on it...super sexy frame and will not only instantly improve your skills, but will make you more desirable to Rev pilots of the opposite sex and will cause extensive envy for pilots of the same sex .... well, the test results are not yet in on some of these facts, but you get the idea.
Custom Wraps : These are normally extra heavy duty wraps i.e. 6 wrap, 8 wrap... only made for very special orders, normally for large stacks of Revs.

Sorry for the long post, hope that helps.

#8 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

...1.5 Zen Frame : 2 wrap frame from a special carbon that looks totally awesome. Has the "Zen" label on it...super sexy frame and will not only instantly improve your skills, but will make you more desirable to Rev pilots of the opposite sex and will cause extensive envy for pilots of the same sex .... well, the test results are not yet in on some of these facts, but you get the idea.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#9 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:28 PM

1.5 Zen Frame : 2 wrap frame from a special carbon that looks totally awesome. Has the "Zen" label on it...super sexy frame and will not only instantly improve your skills, but will make you more desirable to Rev pilots of the opposite sex and will cause extensive envy for pilots of the same sex .... well, the test results are not yet in on some of these facts, but you get the idea.

Also available in the Zen or for the Rev1!! Posted Image

Kent - that's so totally unscientific!! Posted Image

wayne from portland

AKA member

#10 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

I'll just leave this here
http://www.revkites....tion-spars-rods

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#11 NJI

NJI
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:08 PM

ahhh, gotta love a good education! thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users