New to the dark side

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Techguy67

Techguy67
  • Forum Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

Made the plunge today and purchased a B series mid vent. Got the 3 wrap and race rods as well as 85' and 120' lines. I've been flying dual line kites for about a year and I'm looking forward to moving over to quad lines. Now where were those video's I saw earlier....

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:14 PM

Welcome to the Rev forum and welcome to the dark side.
You should find most of the REV training videos on our sister forum at www.kitelife.com .
However, there are a few scattered around somewhere within this forum.
There are also a few on the Revolution web site at www.revkites.com .

Enjoy!

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

Made the plunge today and purchased a B series mid vent. Got the 3 wrap and race rods as well as 85' and 120' lines. I've been flying dual line kites for about a year and I'm looking forward to moving over to quad lines. Now where were those video's I saw earlier....

Be sure to check out http://www.learnkites.com/.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 goestoeleven

goestoeleven

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the dark side! Watch out, it's addictive . . . . I took a 20+ year hiatus from kite flying and then saw someone flying a revolution at a festival less than two years ago . . . . now I think about rev flying just about every day and am gearing vacation travel around kite festivals and flying. . . . and I won't tell how many I own now (partly so I can fly with my kids at the same time in every wind condition).

Edit - I ditto what Love2Fly said below - you should meet up with other fliers because that's the fastest way to learn. And don't worry about flying with others when you're just learning - we love to welcome new dark side devotees to the mix, and the faster you learn . . . the faster you can become addicted like the rest of us. If you're ever in the Chicago area, IKE has several pretty active Rev pilots. We don't get together as often as I'd like, but we do meet up from time to time.

ike_member.png and 180GO-100.png

#5 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:01 PM

Hi Techguy67....

Welcome to the Rev family. .... you've made two great choices; choosing Revs and your first Rev being a midvent.
kite
In case you're not aware, there's a good club in the northeast (North East Kite Flyers).

If you're ever in NJ, there's a bunch of Rev flyers (known as "The Jersey Crew") and we fly regularly at Liberty State Park, in Jersey City.

There's tons of great info in the previous threads (as you've already seen). If you can't find an answer, feel free to ask; everyone is happy to help.

Enjoy.
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#6 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:31 AM

Welcome to the fray! Definitely get together with some experienced fliers, it will make learning easier and a lot more fun!

Remember to come back here and let us all know how you are doing, we love stories.... :sign_kitelife:
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#7 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:39 AM

Welcome to the forum!! Posted Image

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#8 mbro

mbro

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

Welcome Techguy67,:sign_welcome:

Michael
"But now, we are free. We are up; we are off..."

#9 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

Welcome!!!

Some practical stuff:
1. - Check your lines and even them up!! Even if they are new!! Recheck after a few flights to see if things have changed!! Uneven lines will let the kite steer itself, you don't need that!!
2. - Pretty much forget anything you learned flying dual line kites!! Quads are a whole different animal, takes very different set of control motions to make them respond correctly!!
3. - If you are in danger of crashing - GIVE TO THE KITE!!! Step forward, not back!! Let the kite crash, but moving forward will lessen the crash and you can survive all in one piece!! Pulling back just drives the kite into the ground that much harder!!

I agree that finding others, that will share their experiences, will shorten up the learning curve and get you on your way in the fastest way possible!!! ENJOY!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#10 lamrith

lamrith

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:03 PM

Welcome!!!

Some practical stuff:
3. - If you are in danger of crashing - GIVE TO THE KITE!!! Step forward, not back!! Let the kite crash, but moving forward will lessen the crash and you can survive all in one piece!! Pulling back just drives the kite into the ground that much harder!!

I agree that finding others, that will share their experiences, will shorten up the learning curve and get you on your way in the fastest way possible!!! ENJOY!!

Great tips, this one specifically caught my eye. I had never heard that before but it makes sense and thanks for sharing!! It is a ver counter intuitive reaction. I know I would be tempted to move back to power the kite to turn just out of muscle memory form power kites...
Rev B full sail, Mid & Full Vent
Rev SLE
Rev Blast
Large Duffel bag full of frameless ripstop and lines

An ear to ear grin when the trees are moving

#11 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:34 AM

Once you've gotten the hang of what you can get away with, pulling out works!! But until then you're gonna crash, so why not survive it as best you can!! John B. has some very nice tutorials on line equalization and other things that will help you get going!! My recommendation is to go out in good winds (5-10mph) to learn!! Less, you struggle to keep flying, too much higher, and it's harder to control things!! Once you get control ( and it's a never ending thing), you'll find it to be a lot of fun!! Then try flying with others, as your next challenge!!Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#12 Techguy67

Techguy67
  • Forum Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

Thanks for the welcome and tips everyone! It's gonna be a long week before my kite arrives. Not a problem though as it will allow some time for the snow we got yesterday a chance to melt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users