Rear view mirror

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 genesant

genesant
  • Forum Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:44 PM

Ok, this is a different question. I fly on a private road that has 4 houses towards the end of it. I fly with headphones in so I never hear cars coming up behind me. I do look over my shoulder often but when the music is real good I get into a zone. Permanent neigbors know that I can back up at any time or move sidways so they creep up until I see them in my Peripheral vision and I move out of the way. Visitors on the other hand will sometimes zoom past me and I have come close to being creamed a couple times. I really don't want to get crippled by impatient drivers so I'm looking for a solution. I've never used a bike helmet with one of those little rearview mirrors but I'm wondering if that would be a feasable answer. I fly with soft hats and also wonder if they will clip to one. Anyone have experience with this or tips?

#2 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:48 AM

May sound trite but....FIND ANOTHER PLACE TO FLY!!!!!!!
I get in a zone too (we all do!) and not withstanding safe kiting practices (hee hee), don't pay much attention to my surroundings. That said, I wouldn't trust ANY driver, whether they know you or not, to have your back. Cars and pedestrians don't mix.....PERIOD!!!!!

My 02

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#3 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Johhny B Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:09 AM

The mirrors you refer to that attach to bicycle helmets are available to clip on to glasses also. If you wear sunglasses when you fly they would work fine.

Check at any bicycle shop and they should have them. If you start a trend Ben might end up making a carbon fiber clip on mirror for kite fliers... :w00t:

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#4 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:09 AM

My iPod has the option to play stereo sound through a single headphone (Apple calls it mono audio). This allows me to fly with one headphone in, one ear open, so I can listen for pedestrian traffic.

Still, I'm gonna second quaa714's advice, and fly somewhere safer. I wouldn't chance it where I live; these driving fools killed so many people last year, in crosswalks mind you, that I think twice about it even when I can pay full attention!

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#5 genesant

genesant
  • Forum Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

Thought I would let you know the results. I got the mirror that clips on glasses and it is made well and there is good vision behind you - except - unlike with a bike, we move our heads up and down and side to side constantly. It has a small angle of view so your head has to seek the right spot so it isn't like you can see someone coming up on you unless you focus and zero in your head angle. Much faster to look over the shoulder. I think I'm going to try it with a convex mirror like you glue on to car side mirrors just on the chance that it will show rear movement without concentrating on it. Might not work but I'm going to find out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users