28 replies to this topic

#21 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:25 AM

The toughest thing I do routinely is fly over a parking lot nearby my residence. That gets you good footing but it's also highly abusive to your equipment, (like dragging your kite over a chain saw). Missing a catch impacts the asphalt, then you jerk the kite some to get the leading edge back to facing away from you so it can be re-launched. More abrasion, maybe even sawing action with the spectra across the bridle or the sail material.

I'm with Rich, . . . fly 'em real hard, then go get new ones! I don't even consider a kite mine until there's some type of damage done permanently, at least a burn hole or a kid's muddy footprint. Scuffed leading edges, rounded-off end-caps, bridles that only last a few flying sessions, dare I say, broken frame members as well?

#22 Oats

Oats
  • Forum Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

To add to this ol thread, crashing in sea oats/cacutses when you have 130 ft lines and only 20 ft of free beach due to high tide :(

#23 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:04 PM

To add to this ol thread, crashing in sea oats/cacutses when you have 130 ft lines and only 20 ft of free beach due to high tide :(

Wicked!! Geez I hope there were no casualties Posted Image

I'm going to have to second my own nomination for the Flic Flac though........ This weekend, while practicing the Flic Flac on shorter lines (30' and 50') I broke 2 washers on the LE vertical caps!! I haven't had one break since I started flying the Rev, and now 2 are down!!
I spent a good 20 minutes checking everything but the caps before finding the problem, I didn't notice the vertical spar sticking way above the LE right away.

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#24 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:26 PM

If the local kite shop doesn't have them in stock. Go to Ace or another hardware store and checkout the rubber washers in the plumbing section. You will surely find something to fit.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#25 lamrith

lamrith

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:06 AM

Kent @ AWOC right there in Vegas usually has them in stock... I have been debating on ym next order from him grabbing some of those and some cap/bungee kit to keep in my bag.

Rev B full sail, Mid & Full Vent
Rev SLE
Rev Blast
Large Duffel bag full of frameless ripstop and lines

An ear to ear grin when the trees are moving

#26 oyepitsme

oyepitsme

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

Flying/landing in the branches of trees....do it everyday and you'll soon learn why. ;)
Rain or Shine ~ Day or Night

Wind or Not ~ I'll be in Flight

#27 oyepitsme

oyepitsme

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

I could simply say...ME flying my Revs. Just ask Elliot from Flying Smiles Kites. (My repair man) :)
Rain or Shine ~ Day or Night

Wind or Not ~ I'll be in Flight

#28 Jynx

Jynx

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Location:West Allis (Milwaukee) WI ...and... New Smyrna Beach FL winters

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

The 'trick' that wrecks my kites... (?)

Answer: Allowing inexperienced fliers and newbie learners to do THEIR tricks with MY kites! Posted Image ...I can only blame Myself! ...But, It's usually worth it, in the end! Posted Image

"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power,

then there will be peace"

Jimi Hendrix

Posted Image

#29 mbro

mbro

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:39 AM

I agree Jynks, Newbies are tough on equipment! I don't let anyone fly my B,but I do set up my SLE every time I fly at the park just so people can have a go and it is worth it to see the excitement, and the smiles,especially from the kids. :)

michael
"But now, we are free. We are up; we are off..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users