older rev

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gonzo25

gonzo25
  • Forum Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:26 AM

My friend has just bought an older used rev 1.5 and apparently there is a difference in the line length for the top and the bottom lines. Mine is newer and the line lengths are the same, so I can't help her out. Does anyone know anything about this? what is the difference in the lengths and which one is the shorter of the two, the top or the bottom? Thanks

#2 jburka

jburka

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:47 AM

The only revs that needed different-length lines was the original Rev 1, back in '89. John Mitchell could tell us exactly when the bridle was fixed to allow even lines, but I'm certain that there was never a production 1.5 kite or bridle that used non-equal top and bottom lines.

#3 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:02 AM

My friend has just bought an older used rev 1.5 and apparently there is a difference in the line length for the top and the bottom lines. Mine is newer and the line lengths are the same, so I can't help her out. Does anyone know anything about this? what is the difference in the lengths and which one is the shorter of the two, the top or the bottom? Thanks

Apparently you are referring to the REV I and not the REV 1.5. The REV 1.5(first sold in 1995) was never produced with a bridle that required different length lines.
The line length difference between an older REV I(pre-1992) and the newer REV I is about 7 inches. I don't recall if it was the top or bottom lines.
In assuming this is a REV I and you want to use equal length lines, there are mainly two approaches to solving this problem.
1. Add a seven inch pigtail to the appropriate bridle point.
2. Purchase a new bridle.
Contact the kite shop "Kite Country" on Sports Arena Blvd in San Diego to see if they have one available.
You can also contact Revolution directly or the many on-line authorized Revolution dealers.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#4 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:36 AM

You can check if you have a Rev1 or 1.5!! Measure the top edge, if it's around 9' it's a Rev1, if it's closer to 7 1/2' it's a 1.5!! Get the new bridle and even up those lines!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#5 goestoeleven

goestoeleven

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:05 PM

The other possibility is the older Rev 1.5 has simply been flown a lot, without ever having the lines equalized. The top lines experience more force and therefore can stretch over time (or even over the course of a single day of flying in strong winds). You didn't say how much difference there is in line lengths - if it's a lot (like seven inches) maybe it's an old Rev I line set. If it's only a bit, maybe it's the natural line stretch that happens with flying.

There are a couple ways to equalize them. First, JB put out a good tutorial on YouTube about line equalization. Or, if the difference is not that much . . . you could just switch the top and bottom lines on the handles and stretch the shorter lines out by flying on some windy days. You won't get them exactly equal that way, but you may get them closer to even before you equalize.

I've had some line sets with an inch or two of difference that shows up after flying a while . . . and I've been lazy about fixing it. I prefer to see it as a natural way of adding brake to my lines . . . without even having to adjust the handle leaders. I just don't let it bother me that much (until it gets to the point where I have to swap tops and bottoms or I'm all brake, all the time).

ike_member.png and 180GO-100.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users