92 replies to this topic

#61 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:03 PM

Just reading some old stuff and found this, does anyone in the UK have one of the old wooden winder they dont want?

Good Home waiting

Hi Simon,

I have ne of the wooden winders here somewhere.

I wouldnt actually go so far as to say I dont want it. However I dont need it, and if you would like to have it that would be fine.

Drop me a pm.

#62 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:48 AM

It's not surprising newbies have a puzzling time getting started on their Rev flying journey.

I've just spent some time modifying some 13" standard handles.
The leaders on the top were half, yes half the length that are supplied with the B-series handles!
And they only had one knot in them.

So I made my own longer leaders out of bridle material.
It's not as soft and pliable as the usual leader material, but it will have to do.
Tied in the usual knots.
Should be good to go ;)
1 of the 47.

#63 Kite Krusader

Kite Krusader

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:08 AM

I made my own longer leaders out of bridle material.
It's not as soft and pliable as the usual leader material, but it will have to do.
Tied in the usual knots.
Should be good to go ;)

I also have HEAVY/FIRM bridle line for pigtails, and it would be nice if you could order some of the BLACK
line thats on the B Handles in longer/custom lengths to make good pigtails with.
Your friendly neighborhood kite flyer.

Posted Image Posted Image

#64 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:45 AM

I several pairs if handles in my bag and have replaced all the leaders with a good stiff bridle line, I actually prefer stiffer pigtails as loose ends are less likely to flap around and snag.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#65 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:47 AM

I also have HEAVY/FIRM bridle line for pigtails, and it would be nice if you could order some of the BLACK
line thats on the B Handles in longer/custom lengths to make good pigtails with.

I used some of the line from a Rev Stacking Kit. I believe it's the same line that comes on the B Series handles.

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#66 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:17 AM

The fist thing that I do when I buy new Rev handles (and I've got 10 or 12 pairs) is take the stock pigtails off and add new, longer ones.
Mine don't have as many knots though; usually just 3 on the top, spaced about an inch apart and 3 on the bottom, spaced closer together for fine tuning.

#67 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:55 AM

It's not surprising newbies have a puzzling time getting started on their Rev flying journey.

I've just spent some time modifying some 13" standard handles.
The leaders on the top were half, yes half the length that are supplied with the B-series handles!
And they only had one knot in them.

You can see the difference in the attached picture.
Bottom handle is before the modification.
The top handle is a B-series version.

So I made my own longer leaders out of bridle material.
Tied in the usual knots.
Should be good to go ;)

Great Job Choccy.Clear and streight forward.
Its Common place now,but before the B Series was Launched[not that long ago].It was a tricks of the TRADE thing or you had tobe King pouba in the Masons to get the Secret/pro stuff to improve.
If it wasnt for this forum.What other real medium is ther for such Gems of knowledge.

Benson Bridle line is good for leaders btw.

BRIAN...

#68 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:50 AM

Agree on the benson. Unfortunately the only place I know that sells it is fractured axel and I won't give my money to them.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#69 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:18 AM

Agree on the benson. Unfortunately the only place I know that sells it is fractured axel and I won't give my money to them.

Tim Bensons good for it.He will usually have some spare.

BRIAN...

#70 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 03:13 AM

lots of folks carry Hi-Test Bridle line (100# strength, "doubled" is certainly more than sufficient), I think it's made by LaserPro.

It's a 40# dacron sleath over 90 or 100# spectra.

Back in the old days we had to make our own bridle line! You'd push a carpet needle backwards thru a 100 feet of dacron sleeving, dragging the spectra the whole way. What a treat to have somebody deciding to manufacture that darn stuff!

The real beauty of this product is how easily it can be tied and untied. Plus, there's some stiffness that helps to prevent tangles and nesting when flying one-handed or pushing the slack-line envelope. I also immediately replace all the leader lines when acquiring new handles. That is one less variable to deal with frankly.

#71 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:42 PM

Know that this is an old post but - couldn't Rev sell pigtails tied to JB's standards?? Then we would have a pattern to go by to make more!!:)

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#72 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:54 PM

Know that this is an old post but - couldn't Rev sell pigtails tied to JB's standards?? Then we would have a pattern to go by to make more!!:)

I have pigtails. And I have bridle line. Most folks just buy a bunch of bridle line and tie their own. :)
Tedious...but doable.
Theresa

ps...any chance you can get up to Westport for the Festival this weekend?

#73 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:30 PM

..... Most folks just buy a bunch of bridle line and tie their own. :)
Tedious...but doable.

A Couple of Few Tips.

1. Buy good heavy weight bridle line, like so many things, stiffer works better.

2. Cut way more than you think you will need it's surprising how much each knot shortens the line.

and

3. If you are trying to match favoured settings start tying from the handle end not the free end as otherwise each knot pulls earlier knots closer to the handles.

Edited by Stone in Shoe Bob, 08 July 2010 - 01:31 PM.

Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#74 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:05 PM

I have pigtails. And I have bridle line. Most folks just buy a bunch of bridle line and tie their own. :)
Tedious...but doable.
Theresa

ps...any chance you can get up to Westport for the Festival this weekend?

Didn't know there was a fest at Westport! Where is it exactly? Would like to come if I know where it is! :blue_wink:

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#75 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:34 PM

Hi all,
Didn't think I should start a new topic on this....
I'm wondering if there is a minimum length the handle leader line has to be. Reason being, I'd like to mod my 15" handles to include a couple knots on the top leaders.
Would moving the knot on the top and bottom leaders to say, an inch away from the handle negatively effect performance?
If my first knot could be an inch away from the handle, I could use the stock leader line, and tie in a couple extra knots on the top, and trim away the excess on
the bottom leader. I only need the one bottom knot anyway - I'm a "top-knotter" when it comes to handle adjustment :kid_smartass:

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#76 JasonOsteo

JasonOsteo

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:51 PM

I would have thought if the first knot was the same distance for top and bottom it wouldn't matter.

Oh, and I put a knotted length of bridle line on my REV I handles in 1988/9 for adjustment. Do I win a prize?Posted Image
People are like Slinkys. Basically useless but fun to watch falling down stairs.

#77 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 04:04 PM

I would have thought if the first knot was the same distance for top and bottom it wouldn't matter.

Oh, and I put a knotted length of bridle line on my REV I handles in 1988/9 for adjustment. Do I win a prize?Posted Image

:clap; :cup_1st: :clap2:

Ok that's what I was thinking too! This topic was amazingly helpful! Read thru it all, used a bunch of everyones' ideas, and here it is:

Photo0113.jpg

The arrows point at what would be the "factory" position of the 15" handles I bought. The knots were equally tied, top and bottom, back 2" from the end knot. Then I tied the middle knot on the top leader. I trimmed the 2" excess from the bottom leaders so they won't get caught up. Burned the ends with a lighter for good measure. Got 3 brake adjustments now, just what I need - I think lol. John B said he over-sheets the wind more easily with the 15" handles , and I find that I do too. Hopefully this leans it back enough.

I really like the pigtail adjustment leaders. I rotated my lines, top to bottom, after a month of heavy flying, and even with a good stretching, I'm having to dial-in alot more brake than I need on a fresh set of lines - about 2 knots worth. 15" handles were killing me today - no pigtails! After rotating the lines, used 15" handles and didn't even think twice about it. Talk about over-sheeting the wind! :pinch:

I can't wait to try them tomorrow - might be time for a night flight tonight :sq-alien: ^_^

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#78 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:17 PM

Sorry - but most will suggest that the top leaders should be almost as long as the distance from the top to bottom of the handles!! Don't see anything wrong with the bottoms, but I think the tops should be much longer!!! IMHO!!! Posted Image

wayne from portland

AKA member

#79 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:34 PM

This again is everyone to their own preference.
The exception is when it comes to teams. All team members on a team, as I understand it, should always have the same setup.

Now for me, my handles are different. They are straighter then most. I inherited this idea from David Brittain.
My handle pigtails which date back to the early 90's are about 6 inches on top and bottom with about 3/4" between knots.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#80 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:18 PM

To get an idea of what I'm talking about, see the subject "My leaders... your thoughts" under the Tuning and Adjustment section!! There are pics there that will show you a general idea!! Posted Image Post #1!!

wayne from portland

AKA member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users