92 replies to this topic

#41 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 09:26 PM

With the top lines on the first knot (about an inch from the handles) and the bottom lines on the 3rd or 4th knot from the handles I have plenty of brakes but have to point the bottom of the handles at the kite to launch. If I move the top line out 1 knot the kite backs itself down to the ground after launch unless I put 2 fingers over the top of the handles and pull the top lines with those fingers.

Denny

Too much brake, not enough forward. In this case, you need to shorten the top lines a knot or two or lengthen the bottom lines a knot or two.

You'll get it.
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#42 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:14 AM

1. What size handles are these? Rev II handles, 9" Handles, 13 " Handles? If you have Rev II handles, you want to swich to 9 or 13 inch handles.

2. Have you hecked that your top and bottom lines are the same length?

This soulds to me like you are either using small handles, or your top lines a longer than your bottom lines.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#43 DWayne

DWayne

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:27 AM

1. What size handles are these? Rev II handles, 9" Handles, 13 " Handles? If you have Rev II handles, you want to swich to 9 or 13 inch handles.

2. Have you hecked that your top and bottom lines are the same length?

This soulds to me like you are either using small handles, or your top lines a longer than your bottom lines.

I've got both 9" & 11" handles. The first thing I checked was line length thinking the top lines must be longer than the bottoms. But they're the same length. I finally got the full sail in a neutral setting with the top lines 1 knot closer to the handles than the brake lines. I'm starting to think it's just my lack of expertise. :blue-confused:

Denny

#44 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:39 AM

I've got both 9" & 11" handles. The first thing I checked was line length thinking the top lines must be longer than the bottoms. But they're the same length. I finally got the full sail in a neutral setting with the top lines 1 knot closer to the handles than the brake lines. I'm starting to think it's just my lack of expertise. :blue-confused:

Denny

I think you need some "hands on direct advise" from one who is well experienced with REVs.

There should be a number of New Years Day Kite get togethers on the West Coast.
San Diego is one of the larger, with plenty of REV fliers. However, it is a bit distant for you.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#45 DWayne

DWayne

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 12:00 PM

San Diego is one of my favorite spots. I'd really love to spend the day at Mission Beach or Coronado flying Revs with people that really know what they're doing. Unfortunately it's just not in the cards this year.

Denny

#46 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 12:37 PM

San Diego is one of my favorite spots. I'd really love to spend the day at Mission Beach or Coronado flying Revs with people that really know what they're doing. Unfortunately it's just not in the cards this year.

Denny

Check out the kite club in the Bay area. It is a bit closer to you. Maybe they have something on.

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#47 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 01:43 PM

http://www.baskl.org ;)

Or in San Diego... http://www.sandiegokiteclub.com/

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#48 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 02:34 PM

Is your kite used? It could have something to do with the bridal.

Spence "Watty" Watson

#49 DWayne

DWayne

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 03:37 PM

Is your kite used? It could have something to do with the bridal.

Nope. Both are brand new. But the bridle was something I checked closely. They're the same on both kites.

Denny

#50 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 03:59 PM

This may sound like a silly question, but, are you sure your handles are right side up? Don't laugh....I saw a guy trying to fly his 1.5, having difficulty, and that is exactly what he was doing wrong. It doesn't sound like that is your problem, but I just had thought I would ask.

#51 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 04:03 PM

Huh. That sure could be a problem!

Spence "Watty" Watson

#52 DWayne

DWayne

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 04:16 PM

This may sound like a silly question, but, are you sure your handles are right side up? Don't laugh....I saw a guy trying to fly his 1.5, having difficulty, and that is exactly what he was doing wrong. It doesn't sound like that is your problem, but I just had thought I would ask.

Short ends up..........right? :rolleyes:

Denny

#53 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 05:09 PM

SHORT end up, so that is where I have been going wrong :-0

#54 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 05:15 PM

That is correct. I can't think of anything else that could be causing this. wierd.

Spence "Watty" Watson

#55 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 06:25 PM

Hey, you should have seen this guy. His name is Bill. I pointed out to him that his handles were up-side-down. This was not his first time flying a Rev. He said "Should I turn them over?" I said something like "That might be a good idea". He turned them over, then he couldn't fly the kit at all. I had to tell him to switch the top and bottom lines when he turned the handles right-side-up. It was VERY hard to keep a straight face.

Merry Christmas :)

#56 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:50 AM

lol.

Spence "Watty" Watson

#57 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:40 PM

EDITX
(if you rememebr correctly), we were still using the original wood Rev line winders (plastic ones weren't be produced yet by Rev), which had metal screws/pegs on the side to attach the clips to, when the lines were wound onto the wooden winders.

Just reading some old stuff and found this, does anyone in the UK have one of the old wooden winder they dont want?

Good Home waiting

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#58 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:25 PM

Just reading some old stuff and found this, does anyone in the UK have one of the old wooden winder they dont want?

Good Home waiting

Seems to me it was much larger then present day winders and had a screw for attaching lines.
It used a wide elastic black band which was attached to the winder with two big snaps on it, for holding the lines in place.
I think it is shown in some of the early videos if anyone still has one.
I think my brother might have my winder.
After that winder came the clear plastic handle that had an elastic band with a Velcro holder. It was forever getting misplaced.

#59 Revkitedancer

Revkitedancer
  • Forum Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:32 PM

What year did Lee Sedgwick come to Seattle for his seminar with Kathy Goodwind? David Brittan told us about them there.. Lee Sedgwick was no wind flying outside and David was hot on his heels. I don't recall if Ron J. saw them sooner w/ Dave and Troy or not. It seems like 91 or 92.

Lee and Daved were both so full of good information, 3 of us that hadn't been drinking or anything and left with big old headaches. Thank goodness there were 3 of us to help retain it.

We met people over the years in different spots that didn't know other people were were 3 D flying and using leads. We're all pioneers in this sport.

I had a 150 line snap at the swivel with my Rev. I. and sure would of hurt someone if they'd been near, plus putting them on and off was a pain. The swivels came off early to. Elizabeth King, had one of the first 10 kites.. dated 1989.. I'm not even sure they sold them then. It didn't come with a video.. and who knew it had brakes?
Clear winder.. Bet I traded it instantly.. I wouldn't have been able to see it back then.
BB Penny

In the early 90's we did not know of each other. We did not go to the same festivals or competitions. There wasn't anyone at any festival we went to with the same idea. There was not anything in any magazines to influence our ideas.
So, it seems we all came up with the same idea independently at about the same time.
Good enough for me.

I remember that on the early REV I's, they also had swivels on the bridle. I took the swivel off very early as I had had bad experiences with them in the past. I remember quite well the early REV I wood winders. The also had a stretch black strap with velcro to hold the lines down. This was later replaced by a clear plastic winder which I think my first REV II came with.
I also think my REV I SUL had this clear plastic winder.

#60 Revkitedancer

Revkitedancer
  • Forum Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:40 PM

Question, I put 7" pigtails with 5 knots top & bottom on my handles. I have to put the top lines next to the handles and the brake lines out at the 3rd or 4th knot. Is this because I don't know how to fly a Rev? Or is there something else that might be out of adjustment?
Thanks for any input.

Denny

How much rev flying have you done? BB Penny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users