• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Doindoa

Doindoa
  • Forum Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:02 PM

Hi all,
I've been flying dual line kites for a while and have decided to give quad lines a try. Loving all things fast, I've jumped right in the deep end an have acquired a Shockwave. I assumed the lines that were supplied new were correctly set to the same length, then wondered why the handling was so poor during the maiden flight. Several crashes later and walks of shame I returned home wondering what I was doing wrong. At this stage I decided to check the basics and found out 3 of the 4 lines were all slightly different in length. I think I've now sorted this issue out but am a little gun shy about taking it out again.
Does anyone have any suggestions for me or does anyone know of any Rev pilots in Auckland that I can get in touch with?

Thanks in advance for any assistance that can be provided.

Cheers, Corin.

#2 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:39 PM

You picked one of the most difficult Revs to fly to learn on. BUT, you also picked one of my all time favorite and most exciting Revs. Having all four lines equal is a must. The Shockwave and sonic are so fast and twitchy, differences in the line lengths will make it much harder to learn on. These kites are very fast and sensitive to input. The best thing to do is to really concentrate on your controls. Any twitch or movement in the handles will be amplified on the kite and done fast!!! Practice keeping your hands exactly equal and launch the kite straight up. Going straight up makes it harder to slam into the ground. :) Once the kite is up, slowly start applying brake line tension (bottom lines) until the kite starts to descend back down backwards. Stop pulling and let gravity bring the kite down, only apply more brake line tension as needed to keep the kite level and/or dropping until it softly lands back on the ground. If one wing starts to go high, apply a little more brake line tension to that side to bring it down with the other one. Do this several times until you get the feel of how sensitive the kite is and also get the feel on how to stop this speed demon when needed.

After mastering this, then try to do the same but this time only going half way up. After a bit, try doing the same but only letting the kite come about 4-6 feet (1-2 meters) above the ground. Hold it there and then back it back down to the ground.

Doing these simple maneuvers will give you a ton of knowledge on how the kite flies and controls. From there you can start to fly the kite back and forth, learning how hard (soft) you need to pull each brake line to get the kite to turn.

Hope this helps. Keep on practicing with the kite, it is difficult to learn on the speed series kites but so very worth it in the end.

#3 B-13

B-13

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:22 PM

Hello Corin,

Welcome to RevVing :)
Being myself totally new and waiting for my speed series kite to arrives, the Supersonic, i will suggest you have some look at the tutorials and read anything you can to get a feel on how the others handles the kite and position hands, etc with the handles.
I fell last time on a book for Rev kites and had been reading read with much attention and some points got cleared in my mind.
So i will suggest you have a look at it here

Hope you enjoy your first flight and stay tuned as i will update with my first flight soon lol

Cheers

B

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users