41 replies to this topic

#21 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:50 AM

Did it have a particularly stiff LE? I can't imagine it would work very well with a 12 foot two-wrap edge (but this is, as you know, a total newbie speaking) - wouldn't the flex of the LE be too much?

Have to say though, the 'stretched-out-normal-Rev' proportions look fantastic! :)

Fraser

If you look closely it does seem to have an SLE in it I wonder if those were made specific at the time because from what I understand Rev makes their own Advantage Rods.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#22 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 11:41 AM

Did it have a particularly stiff LE? I can't imagine it would work very well with a 12 foot two-wrap edge (but this is, as you know, a total newbie speaking) - wouldn't the flex of the LE be too much?

Have to say though, the 'stretched-out-normal-Rev' proportions look fantastic! :)

Fraser

As Ben said, it was a prototype of the first Revolution on the market. This would be around 1987-88.
Joe told me some years before, that they had experimented with quite a number of different materials for spars. They finally ended up making carbon spars themselves, which they still do today.
With the long LE of this prototype, it obviously flexed probably a bit too much. That would be a reasonable reason for the shorter leading edge of the Neos Omega, later REV I that came on the market in January 1989.
They obviously achieved at that time, a robustness that no other manufacture had attained with stunt kites. I would not doubt that they can still lay claim to this today.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#23 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 11:46 AM

If you look closely it does seem to have an SLE in it I wonder if those were made specific at the time because from what I understand Rev makes their own Advantage Rods.

Definitely not SLE rods. SLE rods came out in 1997, about 8 or 9 years later.
Revolution labels their rods for other kite markets as Advantage. This is also true to some of their quad kites such as some, if not all, of their REV Indoor (NoWind).

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#24 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 03:12 PM

1997 i knew i was right .. it was that year the sle rods came out
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#25 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:21 PM

Definitely not SLE rods. SLE rods came out in 1997, about 8 or 9 years later.
Revolution labels their rods for other kite markets as Advantage. This is also true to some of their quad kites such as some, if not all, of their REV Indoor (NoWind).

But they are similar correct they look very close, but as you said maybe they made them up so that could also be the prototype SLE they just didn't know it yet.
Jim,

Posted Image

#26 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:23 PM

Power blast proto type

Posted Image

Are any of these still around I would love to own one, as I love my Power Blast I'm betting that is allot of fun to fly as well.
Jim,

Posted Image

#27 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:36 PM

Are any of these still around I would love to own one, as I love my Power Blast I'm betting that is allot of fun to fly as well.

I might suggest that you give Revolution a phone call.

#28 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:55 PM

1997 i knew i was right .. it was that year the sle rods came out

Sorry, I was a year off. The SLE rod came out in January 1998, not 1997.

#29 Quad KiT

Quad KiT

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:11 PM

Why did that particular 12 foot prototype that Joe is holding never go to production? not enough sail area? too radical?

#30 TGunn

TGunn

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:35 AM

I got to fly the Rev Power Blast prototype, when they had it at Spring Break Buggy Blast (SBBB) in 2003. The wind was almost non existant, but it still flew.

To do power stop dives, I had dive the kite, then walk my fingers down the handles in order to have enough leverage to stop it. My last dive and stop put too much pressure on the L.E. spar (which was huge), and the middle spar snapped! Ouch! The kite was about 18 to 20 ft wide.

Troy Gunn

TKO Sport Kite Team - Founding Member
<a class="bbc_url" title="External link" href="http://tko.sportkite...d.com/home.htm" rel="nofollow external">http://tko.sportkite...od.com/home.htm

#31 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:27 AM

Is this the first REV built as a vented REV.
Photo is at: http://johnnmitchell...m_199310-09.JPG

On 10 August 1993 I completed in Europe a REV I specifically designed as a vented REV. As far as I can determine, this was not done previously by anyone else, including Revolution.
My vented REV was seen publicly, for the first time, at a small kite festival at Schwabisch-Gmund Germany, followed shortly thereafter at EuroCup 1993 at Vienna Austria. It was photographed by Simo Salanne and appeared a few days later on the news group rec.kites.

I have since heard that someone else cut holes in their production REV, with a pocket knife, at a possible earlier date, because of problems with strong winds at a competition in the USA.

Does anyone know of any earlier vented REVs?

#32 wufer

wufer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:46 AM

Link says FORBIDDEN JM

#33 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:50 AM

It said that for me too.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#34 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 12:55 PM

Is this the first REV built as a vented REV.
Photo is at: http://johnnmitchell...m_199310-09.JPG

On 10 August 1993 I completed in Europe a REV I specifically designed as a vented REV. As far as I can determine, this was not done previously by anyone else, including Revolution.
My vented REV was seen publicly, for the first time, at a small kite festival at Schwabisch-Gmund Germany, followed shortly thereafter at EuroCup 1993 at Vienna Austria. It was photographed by Simo Salanne and appeared a few days later on the news group rec.kites.

I have since heard that someone else cut holes in their production REV, with a pocket knife, at a possible earlier date, because of problems with strong winds at a competition in the USA.

Does anyone know of any earlier vented REVs?

Seems like my provider is blocking direct links to photos, so try the proceeding page and look for the yellow REV with 3 black stripes. It is in two photos, one on the ground and one in the air.
http://johnnmitchell...SGmund2-93.html

#35 nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:55 PM

Next piece if rev history to check... how many times Johnmitchell has been around for some bit of rev history... Alot.. there should be a picture of you standing next to Joe at the first big event were there was competition.. I think you have seen all the good stuff man.. i need more free time and a better travel budget, so i can be an iqaud junkie.. but i need 120's and a few more kites first.. lol

#36 Quad KiT

Quad KiT

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 08:28 PM

I second that. John Mitchell knows his stuff! Sometimes I just hop on to see what he has to say. Make this guy an admin!

#37 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:22 PM

Next piece if rev history to check... how many times Johnmitchell has been around for some bit of rev history... Alot.. there should be a picture of you standing next to Joe at the first big event were there was competition.. I think you have seen all the good stuff man.. i need more free time and a better travel budget, so i can be an iqaud junkie.. but i need 120's and a few more kites first.. lol

I met Joe for the first time in October 2001. I have known him by phone much longer.
I did all of my competing in Europe and most of my judging in Europe, thus not possible for a competition photo with Joe.
Though I have seen Joe a number of times in recent years, I know of no photos of the two of us.

#38 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:23 PM

I second that. John Mitchell knows his stuff! Sometimes I just hop on to see what he has to say. Make this guy an admin!

Many Thanks for the compliments.

#39 csadeadon

csadeadon
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:34 PM

Here's a piece of Rev history for ya. Pic is posted in another section of this forum also.
This Rev was purchased at the 1990 AKA Convention Auction in Seaside Oregon.
This old Bird is 17 years old, Currently has equal length bridal (still have original bridal intact).
Check out the sigs on this lady.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1990Rev.JPG
  • 1990revsig1.JPG

#40 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:01 PM

Sweet kite,good history.

My Rev 1 is also old, but there is a rip in the mesh unforunatly.. Still flies though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users