#1 lasapcheong

lasapcheong

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:44 PM

Hi,

I have a question hope the forummers can help. I'm thinking of stacking 2 indoors Revs - An older one which is pretty worn out and a brand new one.

• For best efficiency, how should I stack the worn out/stretched sail and the new sail? I"m hazard guessing the new unstretched sail as the front kite. Does it make a difference if any?
  • What is the recommended stack line length? I know for outdoor stacks some fliers actually have the bottom 2 extensions a bit shorter than the top 5 to cut down on the chasing effect. Does it apply to indoor?
  • I'd think that I'm a pretty heavy brake user for indoor Revs (11-12 inches differential). With stacks, is it advisable to make the brake setup lighter?
Thanks for the advise :)
Darryl

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:18 PM

Try to determine which one pulls the most and it may not be much. That is the one I would place on the back.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:33 PM

Maybe Ben, Lolly, or Amy D., could offer a thought!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#4 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:00 PM

With indoor kites, you are working with such light wind that it really isn't going to matter which one goes in front or back. I highly doubt that you have put enough stress on the sail to actually stretch it out anything significant (unless you have been flying it outdoors in stronger winds).

I would just stack them up with the nicest looking colors in the front and see how it goes. it would take only a couple seconds to flip the kites from front to back because there are no bridles to worry about. Just rotate the stack lines from the front kite to the rear and try it that way. If you do find a preference in flight depending on which kite is in front then keep them that way.

#5 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:26 AM

you probably don't even need 7 stacking lines, you could get away with the corners and the center of the leading edge. "Tuning" the stack is a black art like Alchemy,... it's all about your own preferences. How do you want it and why? You'll have to experiment and not for ten minutes with each variable either! I have no experience with stacking indoors but lots of no wind experience with flying baby revs. Some folks adjust the bottom two attachments (train lines) with a hint of more reverse bite and some go neutral, some even tune for more forward drive. Again you'll have to carefully experiment to uncover how your prefer it set-up.

I'd kinda' like to see you be able to throw both kites away from you (from one hand), them separate on their own w/o tangles in flight and then you proceed to fly 'em magically. And YES we do want video and updates on your progress with this mission!

#6 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:23 PM

It's GREAT watching you try and learn about everything Darryl, keep the video coming! :)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#7 lasapcheong

lasapcheong

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:52 AM

It's GREAT watching you try and learn about everything Darryl, keep the video coming! :)

Thanks John. Still awaiting more of your indoor tutorials. Been trying to do that "helicopter" type move you did where you put the kite at the zenith and just spin round and round. Slowly getting that but success rate is still quite low. :)

-Darryl

#8 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:50 PM

The tornado, ya, I actually just learned/discovered that move during the ACT 3 event.

Still got those hips moving? :)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users