13 replies to this topic

#1 tommylurvebus

tommylurvebus

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:16 AM

Hey folks. I have only ever used 90# lines. I use 30, 50, 80, and 120ft lengths. Have plenty of low wind days when the short lines are a big help. I am thinking of buying a 50# line set to help further. I have checked JB s you tube vid on line strengths and weights which has encouraged me to try lighter line but am left wondering about a good length of 50# line to buy. Mr B speaks about the slight line stretch or give in response to flyer input with the thinner lighter line. Just wondering what peoples experience has been. Would 120s 50# just be to MUSHY and unresponsive or does the lack of line sag make up for this? If I got a set of 80ft or 70ft would this increase my low wind range to near to my short line 90# sets? Hey now I know thats a lot of figures and woulds and whats but I wont be buying line on the spool "at least for now" so I would be great full of any input or advice my fellow rev heads may have to offer. I mostly fly solo in winds 3 to 10 mph and do enjoy a medium to wide wind window when I have the space.Thanks for reading xt .
tommy harrison

#2 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:26 AM

The only thing I can recall reading here is that light lines (like 50#) may have more trouble with ground snags (grass, weeds, bits of debris on beaches) than heavier lines.
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#3 Cath Shook

Cath Shook

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:23 AM

The only thing I can recall reading here is that light lines (like 50#) may have more trouble with ground snags (grass, weeds, bits of debris on beaches) than heavier lines.

The 50# Skybond from Shanti works well! Yes snags on ground, but the coating keeps the line from catching 'threads'.

http://shantikites.c...e/skybond-line/

Cath
cath@flyingsmileskites.com
www.FlyingSmilesKites.com
252-453-8442

Come see us at Flying Smiles Kites when you're on the Outer Banks of NC!

Kites make me smile ... Revs make me grin!

"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

#4 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:59 AM

we use 50# (100 or 120 feet) frequently around Washington DC. YES it's got a little movement in it (feels mushy) but it flies when conditions demand it!

I personally don't like to use 50# for 3-D flying, too much slack allows (all the brands I've tried!) to snag crap on the ground. Snagging something kills all the fun as you have to physically go figure out what the heck is hold the lines and untangle it by walking down to the problem.

#5 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:10 AM

I've used 3 lengths of 50#, 2 a lot! My 50' set fits in tight spaces, gets used the most, and I have never noticed any mushiness! May be it's the length!! The other set is 120', opens up the window and either will work in really light wind!! My other set is 30', but I don't use it a lot!! Posted Image Never had too much issues with debris, but I can see how it will happen!! Lighter line will make a very much smaller knot to undo, though!! Took me using sewing needles and a magnifying glass to take one out of my 120's!! Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#6 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:09 PM

Dump the sleeving entirely, instead place a stopper knot into the attachment loop of the raw spectra as a quick-release point. That heavy sleeving hangs down (during slack line tricks) and can snag a bridle knot or catch a corner elastic washer, it can catch on your handle too,... and it can be so easily prevented!

I can catch reliably on 120 feet of 50# (LPG or Skybond) without running forward twenty strides in very low wind. That long smooth glide comes from removing all the junk that can snag, catch, tangle or otherwise ruin my fun.

Look at your leaders, . . . are they that big thick cord?, (that droops down the moment any slack is allowed?) Are there extra leader knots (unused) that could possibly interfere occasionally if you had both handles in the same hand?

If you get rid of all this excess crap you can do more fun stuff (falling leaf, axel, flick-flack, roll-up, etc) and do it more reliably too!

Folks freak about the throw & catch. Practice with longer lines than you intend to use when showing off, so it's an easy action in demo-mode and comes all the way back to you effortlessly. I'm practicing currently on 60 feet, down to a dead calm with the Zen and B-Pro. My SUL rig won't deliver the kite back to me at all, it partially circles overhead and then floats back down wind instead! On rare occasions It floats towards me in a perfectly flat orientation, taking several seconds to slowly lower itself towards me. You don't catch it, some much as walk along side the gliding action imposed upon the kite and tease it. Count slowly for six seconds after the jerking "catch" action and it's not grounded yet! There are a couple dozen feet of slack in each line. Lee Sedgewick asked me what was different on my kite to allow this flight dynamic. (everything, except the sail is stock!) I felt pretty cocky at that moment laughingly, not many things impress him when flown on 4 lines.

If low wind flight is your objective, then really focus on how you can make it the most enjoyable time possible,.. Look at your equipment and don't be afraid to make changes that seem logical as improvements or at least criteria for comparison testing.

Another thing: Is your playground surface "safe" for light weight shorter lines? No pot-holes or snagging weed vegetation, you need good footing if you're spanking the kite around in no wind.

#7 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:21 PM

Hey folks. I have only ever used 90# lines. I use 30, 50, 80, and 120ft lengths. Have plenty of low wind days when the short lines are a big help. I am thinking of buying a 50# line set to help further. I have checked JB s you tube vid on line strengths and weights which has encouraged me to try lighter line but am left wondering about a good length of 50# line to buy. Mr B speaks about the slight line stretch or give in response to flyer input with the thinner lighter line. Just wondering what peoples experience has been. Would 120s 50# just be to MUSHY and unresponsive or does the lack of line sag make up for this? If I got a set of 80ft or 70ft would this increase my low wind range to near to my short line 90# sets? Hey now I know thats a lot of figures and woulds and whats but I wont be buying line on the spool "at least for now" so I would be great full of any input or advice my fellow rev heads may have to offer. I mostly fly solo in winds 3 to 10 mph and do enjoy a medium to wide wind window when I have the space.Thanks for reading xt .

I don't generally use 50# line at all. While there is a slight benefit in the light weight, I just don't really like dealing with it. The thinner line is more apt to getting snagged, or putting itself into knots. I don't think you'll find 50# line to feel mushy at all, they are actually quite pleasurable to fly on. I personally just don't find 50# lines to be necessary to do what I want to do, and I prefer the stiffer 90# line.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#8 Khal

Khal

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:54 PM

I find lately that I like to fly my 50# (90') lines the most. I can see how they might have a bit more stretch to them, but for me the greatly reduced sag in the lines more than makes up for it. I feel much more directly connected to the kite than when I fly 90# in the same wind. I'm usually in pretty light wind conditions.
Brian

Posted Image Posted Image

#9 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:43 PM

I don't generally use 50# line at all. While there is a slight benefit in the light weight, I just don't really like dealing with it. The thinner line is more apt to getting snagged, or putting itself into knots. I don't think you'll find 50# line to feel mushy at all, they are actually quite pleasurable to fly on. I personally just don't find 50# lines to be necessary to do what I want to do, and I prefer the stiffer 90# line.

I agree with Watty on this!
Most of my lines are 90#. I have only one set of 50# now and they are quite short for indoors and I do have problems of snagging, knotting and etc. I have some heavier lines which I mostly use for stacks.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#10 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:56 PM

Hey folks. I have only ever used 90# lines. I use 30, 50, 80, and 120ft lengths.

YAY ... someone who uses the same increments as me :blue-cool:

Back on topic ... I use 90# for everything, including indoors. I have an indoor 50# set which was used once or twice before switching to 90# and have never looked back.

#11 lasapcheong

lasapcheong

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:21 AM

I'm slowly giving up on 50# for quad lines for outdoor. For indoor, I used to fly 50# but don't find much difference when switching over to 90# so I'm on 90# mostly nowadays anyway. One thing I did notice though (not sure if its just my lines) is that with 50#, multiple line twists causes more friction compared to 90#. Anybody experienced that as well?

-Darryl

#12 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:59 AM

I've experienced this as well!!

I thought it was just the brand of 50# I was using (Prism Modulus), or maybe it was the shorter lengths I was flying 50# on.... After 6 or so twists I could feel the friction right through the handles! It makes a sound, kind of like blowing into a flute with no note chosen.

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#13 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:56 AM

A bit more friction and if you're in a group setting, the lighter line does "feel" different!! Seems like that lighter line catches when used with others on 90#! Ok though. if everyone is on the lighter stuff!!

I use 90# on my indoor, feels pretty solid, never a worry that it could break!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#14 tommylurvebus

tommylurvebus

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:31 PM

Hey folks. Big thanks for all your info, it has been helpful. Snags are a real pain and thats enough to steer me away from a 120ft line set. Some of your comments have made me wonder if I should invest in a lighter line set at all. But of course flying styles can be as different as their flyers personalities and some guy called John BarresiPosted Image thinks they may be worth a shot so I will be giving a set of 50# a try. Im thinking 50 or 60ft set now, less chance of tangle and may further enhance my connection with my kites. Radical! next thing ya know is I will be flying sleeveless without a bridle. Still cant quite get my head around the indoor scene though.
Cheers all xt
tommy harrison

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users