Global Rev Count.

• Please log in to reply
2011 replies to this topic

#1601 Kite.Whisperer

Kite.Whisperer
  • Forum Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:58 PM

Yep, that sounds like an average of 9.0273437 revs/pilot............I'm down too !! Posted Image

+1 Teal B for me, (with out frame)

That should put me right at the average. :blue-confused: I hate being just average.:blue_sad:
Peace of mind is only as far away as the next flying field.

Rev it up!

Brett W
Milwaukee, WI.

#1602 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 03:43 PM

Time to get back into kiting, I think. I spent an hour today digging through my kites looking for the Rev. Anyone remember what color the bag was on that original model?

The bag should be black, sometimes blue for the REV I. Length is about 40inches.

Thanks; I'll look again.

Welp.... I dunno how I misremembered this, but my Rev is yellow and blue (with a strip of vent just behind the LE) in a blue bag. I also have an extra set of leading edge spars, but seem to be missing the vertical spars. What do you all suppose I have?

I do have a bag of random spars which does contain a bunch of carbon (looking) spars of various diameters and lengths. How can I identify the Rev verticals?

Also, how can I identify the two LE spar sets I have?

It's been 20+ years since I looked at these; I'm sure I put them away thinking "How could I ever forget which kite these spars go to?"

(This is way off topic; where should I take it?)
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#1603 windpoacher

windpoacher

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 05:24 PM

I have been skipped, I did not make the list!! Posted Image ,post #1578,.........so I shall try again.....
I have 2,.... EXP,..... Lime/black B series.......Posted Image
..........................W I N D P O A C H E R..........................
...........................thank god for wind..........................
............................thank him often..........................

#1604 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 05:25 PM

I suspect you have a pre-1997 REV I, though it could be the smaller REV II.
If the LE is only two rods it is a REV II. If it has three rods, then it is a REV I.
Attached are two pictures of what I think you might have.
DSC36896-Edit.png
DSC36884-Edit.png
The one with the Yellow center has the hot or neon yellow color.
The one with the Yellow tips is normal yellow color.
Both of these REVs were borrowed from the Revolution vault for photographical purposes.
The rod length for the REV I is 91cm(36in)
The rod length for the REV II Leading edge is 935mm(37 in). The down rods for the REV II are shorter.
The internal diameter of the standard rods both is is .25".
The diameter of the early SSUL rods for REV II was even smaller.
There is 3/8" diameter rod for the REV I, but it did not come out until around 2000.
All of these rods should have a gold label on them that says at least REVOLUTION unless it is REV made around the end of 1988 or very early 1989. Then there was no label.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#1605 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:33 PM

The sail looks like the upper picture (blue center, canary yellow tips). The bridles are black, braided nylon or Dacron, I think; I would have to burn an end and smell the smoke to determine which.

The rods are all .250 ID (1/4), .320 OD (.008 over 5/16). OAL of the LE assembly (3 pc) is 108 1/8" for one set and 108 5/16" for the other set. The outer rods all seem to be 35 15/16". There are no labels whatsoever on the rods, although it is possible that the adhesive has failed in the past 20 years and there are labels stuck somewhere in the rod pocket. Just out of curiosity, would these be considered 2-, 3-, or 4-wrap rods?

36" also seems to be the proper length for the vertical rods, so I may just have a single rod set plus one spare center section.

One ferrule (external, metal) on one center section was slightly tweaked. I just now straightened it. (I have much better machine shop equipment these days, so I could do it without distorting the ferrule. Turn a mandrel to fit and then bend back until there was less than .0005" runout.)

Given all this, I suspect I have a Rev I made end of 1988/early 1989, plus one extra LE center section which I must have purchased to replace the one with the tweaked ferrule.

I still haven't found but one line set/handle (labeled 35'/150#) -- hooked to a set of 10" original-looking handles with home-made knotted pigtails made of parachute cord. I remember making these at Grand Haven, MI to learn the toss-launch and catch from Lee Sedgwick. They turned out to be very useful for flying around people, since they gave micro-control. I once had enough control to turn pages in a book laying open on a picnic table by dragging a wing-tip across the page or tap someone on the shoulder, but I never flew with anyone else or learned any fancy tricks beyond moving in any direction in any orientation, and standing still in any orientation, and spins.

The question now is: what should I do with it? A quick look-over seems that the sail is perfect. Should I fly it like an everyday kite? Save it as an antique or collector's item? As I recall, it was a handful in high winds; maybe I need a vented model.
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#1606 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:05 PM

snip.....

The question now is: what should I do with it? A quick look-over seems that the sail is perfect. Should I fly it like an everyday kite? Save it as an antique or collector's item? As I recall, it was a handful in high winds; maybe I need a vented model.

I agree that it one of the first REV I's made.
You should also note that it says "Patent Pending" on the sail.
The bridle probably has swivels on it.
The lines are on a wood winder that have 7 inches difference between the upper and lower lines.
The lines should also have clips on both ends.
One question regards the the big logo. Is it "Neos Omega" or Revolution"?

It could be considered an antique. How much it is worth, maybe a little bit, what ever that might mean. I personally would leave it in it's original shape and get a REV 1.5 of the present generation for all around flying. Start with a full sail. Then choose the next one to match your stronger winds whether it be a mid vent or full vent. You also have a tremendous palette of rods to choose from for the REV 1.5. How ever this does not mean you should hide your REV I away in the dark. I would fly it once in a while and pack it up during the day when not flying it to protect the colors from being bleached by the some.

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#1607 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:48 AM

What should you do with it, send it to me of course. :kid_devlish:

I have a similar vintage Rev to yours, unfortunatly it has a tear in the Leading Edge Mesh, still flies though, and even though I have 3 Sedgwicks now I still fly it once in a while. I have changed the bridle so that "normal" equal length lines work with it though.

And I would sort of presume the same as you, you have a full frame set, with a spare LE you bought to replace the bent one. Take care if you tweaked the bent one in case you cracked the glue, but I expect you thought of that allready.

Hope you fly it and enjoy it again Pete, you have been WAY too long away from the Childhood tha Kite flying brings to us all.

#1608 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:57 AM

Here are some pictures of the graphics. On closer examination, I see that it says, REVOLUTION I (duh) Posted Image

It does have the swivels. It also has McMahon clips, which I may have added, as I used them a lot back in the day.

It doesn't say "Neos" anywhere on the kite, but in my kite inventory spreadsheet, I have listed the manufacturer as "Neos" so I expect that I have some literature/instructions with that name on it. (I never throw anything away, so it's here somewhere.)

I wasn't so much concerned with valuing it as a salable item, but as whether it was an item of any significance to the Rev/kiting community. If it isn't, I would just fly it and let daily wear and tear take its toll. If it is, I would consider getting it to somewhere that it could be properly preserved/conserved. In general, I do not like to view myself as the destroyer of something which has value to the world at large.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0327-ck.jpg
  • IMG_0328-ck.jpg
  • IMG_0329-ck.jpg
  • IMG_0330-ck.jpg

--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#1609 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:05 AM

Here are some pictures of the graphics. On closer examination, I see that it says, REVOLUTION I (duh) Posted Image

It does have the swivels. It also has McMahon clips, which I may have added, as I used them a lot back in the day.

It doesn't say "Neos" anywhere on the kite, but in my kite inventory spreadsheet, I have listed the manufacturer as "Neos" so I expect that I have some literature/instructions with that name on it. (I never throw anything away, so it's here somewhere.)

I wasn't so much concerned with valuing it as a salable item, but as whether it was an item of any significance to the Rev/kiting community. If it isn't, I would just fly it and let daily wear and tear take its toll. If it is, I would consider getting it to somewhere that it could be properly preserved/conserved. In general, I do not like to view myself as the destroyer of something which has value to the world at large.

Looks like what I suspected. It was probably made within the first 6 months of 1989.
I do notice that you did modify the handles with pig tails and it appears you took the clips off the lines. Was this recently done or back in the early nineties?

#1610 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:27 PM

Looks like what I suspected. It was probably made within the first 6 months of 1989.
I do notice that you did modify the handles with pig tails and it appears you took the clips off the lines. Was this recently done or back in the early nineties?

I did that soon after I bought it in the summer of '89. I suspect I learned it from Lee Sedgwick, as he was the "hot" Rev guru who was attending festivals and competitions at the time, at least in Michigan.

The lines were made by yours truly. Note the expert Posted Image sleeving and double overhand knots with the sleeved lines running absolutely parallel all the way through the knot. I found that that was the only way to prevent the line from slipping in the sleeves under a hard pull.

The clips are off the line because they were put on the bridle and on the handles. You can see them in the pictures of the kite and of the handles. Those are McMahon clips -- a sort of elongated split key ring or sprung sister-hook. Quite a bit stronger than the usual fishing line clip and they have no points sticking out to tear a sail or puncture a finger. Those are from Berkley. I would probably use a larks-head today. And the swivels are pointless on either a quad or dual line kite. Any twists you might put in a line are removed when you take the wraps out of a line set -- they just don't get twisted up.

--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#1611 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 02:13 AM

I received a new vented EYES masterpiece from Rev a few days ago, . . . And finally got the proper conditions to give it some air time yesterday evening. The darn thing is spectacular! Bazzer followed my modifications from the Zen on this model also. I didn't ask for these features, or even notice 'em during the first couple of set-up/examinations. Ben Dantonio actually commissioned this effort as a pair of kites, so I wasn't involved until it was ready to ship. I certainly appreciate both of their efforts though! It has a couple of extra reinforcing patches on the leading edge (where the sail folds) as well as another patch at the very center for throws and catching. It's monochromatic in color using values of gray, black and white, and came sportin' a SUL leading edge sleeve and the new Rich Race frame.

I replaced the bridle (french bridles are now available pre-made & ready to install from the 17 yr old AKA Grand National Champion kite builder Will Study). I coat his knots with black nail polish so nothing will EVER slip) and slapped on some 16" magic sticks/training wheels, (available from Cath & Elliott Shook in NC or Scott Weider). I swapped out the down spars for Zen tubes because I'm out of the little stand-off fittings that fit Rev sticks the best.

All in all I'm quite pleased with this purchase. I think this Revolution kite is number 50 something in my collection. Honestly, I've lost count and can't carry 'em all anyway, but every time I sell one I always regret that too.

No pictures yet, (maybe next weekend), It's our 1st Sunday fly at the Washington Monument and the weather should be perfect. If you live anywhere nearby, get a good night's sleep Saturday and then truck down (metro rail is highly recommended!) to join us early, so we can claim a great section of the land just for ourselves!

Edited by REVflyer, 29 October 2010 - 05:43 AM.

#1612 STEPHEN11

STEPHEN11
  • Forum Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:01 PM

hi
add 3 and one on the way
1slu
1exp
1vented
and a supersonic to come

#1613 Kite.Whisperer

Kite.Whisperer
  • Forum Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:49 PM

I received a new vented EYES masterpiece from Rev a few days ago, . . . And finally got the proper conditions to give it some air time yesterday evening. The darn thing is spectacular! Bazzer followed my modifications from the Zen on this model also. I didn't ask for these features, or even notice 'em during the first couple of set-up/examinations. Ben Dantonio actually commissioned this effort as a pair of kites, so I wasn't involved until it was ready to ship. I certainly appreciate both of their efforts though! It has a couple of extra reinforcing patches on the leading edge (where the sail folds) as well as another patch at the very center for throws and catching. It's monochromatic in color using values of gray, black and white, and came sportin' a SUL leading edge sleeve and the new Rich Race frame.

I replaced the bridle (french bridles are now available pre-made & ready to install from the 17 yr old AKA Grand National Champion kite builder Will Study). I coat his knots with black nail polish so nothing will EVER slip) and slapped on some 16" magic sticks/training wheels, (available from Cath & Elliott Shook in NC or Scott Weider). I swapped out the down spars for Zen tubes because I'm out of the little stand-off fittings that fit Rev sticks the best.

All in all I'm quite pleased with this purchase. I think this Revolution kite is number 50 something in my collection. Honestly, I've lost count and can't carry 'em all anyway, but every time I sell one I always regret that too.

No pictures yet, (maybe next weekend), It's our 1st Sunday fly at the Washington Monument and the weather should be perfect. If you live anywhere nearby, get a good night's sleep Saturday and then truck down (metro rail is highly recommended!) to join us early, so we can claim a great section of the land just for ourselves!

That's just down right evil! :devil: Teasing us with info like this and not sending any pictures? :blink:
Peace of mind is only as far away as the next flying field.

Rev it up!

Brett W
Milwaukee, WI.

#1614 ahofer

ahofer

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:15 AM

Add a Shook mesh to my count. :--)
When I was young, my bologna had a first name. Now my bodywash has an "Objective".

#1615 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:01 AM

+2 Mid Vent B series for me Posted Image

#1616 tommylurvebus

tommylurvebus

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:04 PM

B series standard lime, mid vent purple, full vent ordered and on its way. (well I m new here)
tommy harrison

#1617 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:50 AM

Add:

B-series std sail blue
B-series full vent red

...to my collection
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#1618 Guest_plod38_*

Guest_plod38_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:59 AM

I've got

Blue/white/red 1.5SLE
Lime black B series full sail
Lime black B series full vent
Black rainbow B series mid vent
Lime black 1.5SUL

maybe an xtra vent next B)

#1619 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:21 AM

Subtract 3 from mine.

Will be replaced by spring with something, but down three right now.

Bart

#1620 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:58 AM

dumped one each of the 3 speed series + my old REV1 (a signed 13 colonies custom),
down four!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users