• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 John Dvoracek

John Dvoracek
  • Forum Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:43 AM

Time to try stacking (3), but which Rev? I weighed a couple of my kites:

1.5 Barresi with 3-wrap frame: 224 grams (7 & 7/8 oz)
1.5 SLE with SLE spar: 274 grams (9 & 5/8 oz)

The 1.5 B is almost 2 oz (24%) lighter than SLE with SLE spar, but I can buy 3 SLE's matching in stock and less expensive. I know a stack is a compromise of compromises, but any thoughts on 1.5B's vs SLE's HUGELY appreciated.

It's been suggested to lighten the back two SLE's using a lighter spar and maybe even the front SLE using a 4 wrap regular spar. Surely that will par some weight.

Thanks in advance.

John, TX

What's in your bag?

kite-sig.jpg

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:06 PM

Time to try stacking (3), but which Rev? I weighed a couple of my kites:

1.5 Barresi with 3-wrap frame: 224 grams (7 & 7/8 oz)
1.5 SLE with SLE spar: 274 grams (9 & 5/8 oz)

The 1.5 B is almost 2 oz (24%) lighter than SLE with SLE spar, but I can buy 3 SLE's matching in stock and less expensive. I know a stack is a compromise of compromises, but any thoughts on 1.5B's vs SLE's HUGELY appreciated.

It's been suggested to lighten the back two SLE's using a lighter spar and maybe even the front SLE using a 4 wrap regular spar. Surely that will par some weight.

Thanks in advance.

John, TX

In general with a three stack, you will be fine with the original 3 wrap rods. As the stack grows you will want to stiffen up the first REV rods to 4 wrap. If the stack really gets long, you will be due for some special order rods with even more wraps. Going down to two wrap rods on the last REV/s might be needed in real light wind.
As for the 3x SLEs, They should fly well together as is.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:02 PM

I have an 8 stack of 1.5's that all use the SLE rod. The first three kites have a special heavy duty LE rod in them, the rest are all SLE UL rods. Unless you want to fly in the lightest of winds, the normal UL SLE rods will be fine. You can switch out for the standard 4 wrap or 3 wrap rods but if the wind picks up, it may cause some issues.

Because you are increasing the overall sail area of the kites by adding them in, the weight / sail area ratio gets less with each kite you add, so weight becomes less of an issue than you may think.

Personally, I would just rig up the three kites you have now, fly them with the SLE rods and see how it goes. If you need to lighten them up, you can purchase some extra LE rods at that time. :) Up to 3 kites you normally don't have to change anything at all or will have any strength issues. More than 3 kites you may want to give it a bit more thought.

Also, lengthen your brake lines with your stack and it will reduce the amount of pull by a ton. Normally, about 2 inches need to be added to the brake lines. This makes the stack pull less, but also makes it so it is not nearly as twitchy to fly.

#4 cadguy

cadguy

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:40 PM

Hello John, don't worry about the weight. Stack whatever you can. I fly a 3-stack of B's (full vent, mid, std). All are framed with 3-wraps. Just make sure that the last kite "leans" back just a bit more than the first two. This should reduce the wobble that you may get. My link lines are about four and a half feet.

Check out the G W T W 2012 calendar, Dec. That pix was from last years Kite Party 9 with J eepsters 6 stack.
"Dayton" David Kovacs

ike_member.png and 180or.png

PIGS aloft

#5 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:46 PM

Another thing to ponder as your stack grows, say beyond six. Consider shortening the train lines. This will reduce the pull. I think Sam Ritter told me this back in 1997.
I tried it and it does work.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#6 Henri

Henri
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:05 AM

I don't think the weight is a problem, you'll get all the lift you need with a stack.
For example the first kite in my 12-stack will only fly in more than 15mph, but the stack will fly with 3...

#7 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:50 AM

I used to fly a six stack of EXPs all with the standard 3 wrap spars, except I think, the lead kite had a skinny 4 wrap spar.
They worked great. I could fly them in light winds to medium winds. Anything above 15mph would pull me away....
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users