27 replies to this topic

#21 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:45 AM

I also will be interested in whether to modify an original (1989 gray/mauve) Rev (rods, bridles), or keep it stock for historical reasons and just get a newer model.
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#22 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:21 AM

If all 4 of the lines that came with the "New" Old Rev 1 are the same length I sort of presume that the previous owner might have adjusted the bridle to suit even length lines.

If the bridle has not been adjusted for even length lines you will find it VERY difficult to fly.

Thus you might find the new bridle transforms the kite. Yes take all those heavy clips off and knot old the bridle then larkshead the lines to it (wont need to do this with the new bridle). When you take the old one off take careful note of how the two pieces loop together. Also you will find the end caps have aluminium inserts in them. If you want to get silly about weight save then change these out too ( I wouldnt bother with this myself )

You also need to accept that the sail is probably stretched out compared to your Sedgwick. I think it is a different sail material too.

Accept that the "New" Old sail will never be as nice to fly as your Sedgwick, however you have a piece of History to play with.

Have fun.

#23 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:27 AM

In reply to Pete.

If I had the oppertunity to get another OldOLd Rev1 I think I would keep it as stock, just for the History involved in it.

When I bought mine all I wanted to do was fly it, so I changed the Bridle, and the lines and flew he heck out of it, even with the split in the Leading Edge mesh.

I now have a number of Sedgwicks, both full and vented, and another with Race Rods. If I had those when I bought my Old one I would have kept it stock.

My advice would be, keep it stock, buy a Sedgwick, thy fly SO nice. Or even go for a Zen and maybe a 1.5 (B probably) More expensive but, WOW those Zens like the light wind, and if the B (or even better a Pro) Was Mid or Vented you have a kite for those non Zen Days.

Guys, there realy is SO much choice out there now. And with the Evil Bazzer n Ben combination making the Extra Vent now, when will my bag ever be full?

#24 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:59 AM

I just realized that I'm posting similar threads in two places on the site (see also Global Rev Count w/photos).

I finally found the kite (it's a Rev I) and it is blue with yellow tips (not the gray/mauve I remembered; where did that come from?). I bought it new back in 1989, with the T300 High-Modulus Graphite rods.

I think I will take the advice and keep the old kite, lines, and 10" handles in stock condition. I will look at some of the new patterns, and maybe get an unvented and a full-vented for now, with mid and Zen for the future.
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#25 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:24 PM

Pete, if you want to alter it and fly dont let my advice stop you. They are made to be flown and it is easier to have equal length line sets if you are going to have more then One Rev.

It is just the way I think I would do it now, bearing in mind I have a bit over the aveage when it comes to counting Revs.

If I only had a couple I would alter the Old Rev 1 around.

Anyway, whatever you do, just be sure to enjoy it.

And you will notice I am posting similar replys in 2 places too. :)

#26 Adam

Adam

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:19 AM

The Rev 1 I pruchase is pink and black with the original pattern. The bridle is a heavy cord (twice as thick as the new bridles), and is set up to clip the lines to the bridle.

The flying lines are all the same length, and have clips on both ends, and the handles are 10"

I did fly the 'Old' Rev 1 the other day, and although the wind was gusty and light, I was able to fly the kite.

After reading above, I am wondering if I should just leave it as is?

Decisions, decisions!

Adam Posted Image
"It was the wind Captain"

#27 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:23 AM

I plan to leave mine stock. Note: this requires having a set or sets of lines of unequal length just for this kite, or making up some extenders that can be left on this kite to allow flying with fully equal line sets.
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#28 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:15 AM

B4 I swapped the bridle on mine I just made some pigtails onto the kite to compensate for the unequal line length.

Bingo, you have the Old bridle pretty much as it was made, except for getting rid of the clips and swivels, and you have the bonus of being able to use same length lines.

Best of both worlds I would say.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users