Rev 1 Modification

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 inkslinger

inkslinger
  • Forum Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:09 AM

new guy to this flying rev an i bought a rev 1 which i like a lot , and where i fly it's alwas been blowning over 20, and if i had some good advice before i had bought my rev 1, i kick my self in the a_ _!! for not getting a vented, i do see my arms getting a good work out thou, does any one know if any one pro. can vent this rev and who can i talk to or can i send it back to get it done by the Rev Company, just like to know if it is possable without haveing to buy another one , which will be fore next years taxe time an what ever i get i'm makeing sure it's vented :rolleyes:

#2 wufer

wufer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:06 AM

Posted Image

Inkslinger.
I vented this exp myself as i fly in heavy winds too.
As far as letting someone mod it for you ,i dont know, but it is possible to do it and you will feel a great difference in flying it. A lot less pull and much better to fly.
PM sent

Derek.

#3 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:35 AM

Hi Derek,nice job on the exp.Dont know if its worth me saying fellas,but ive got a rev one vented and none vented.You are correct my freind ,venting will do the trick[no pun].I also have a Sedgewick vented and thats a totally diffrent animal to fly .The venting is much diffrent.
I soppose it depends on how much vent and where its vented.Best of luck with the venting.
Has onyone herd of a patch/cover for the venting, or varriable venting for REVs :huh: .

BRIAN...

#4 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,448 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:38 AM

new guy to this flying rev an i bought a rev 1 which i like a lot , and where i fly it's alwas been blowning over 20, and if i had some good advice before i had bought my rev 1, i kick my self in the a_ _!! for not getting a vented, i do see my arms getting a good work out thou, does any one know if any one pro. can vent this rev and who can i talk to or can i send it back to get it done by the Rev Company, just like to know if it is possable without haveing to buy another one , which will be fore next years taxe time an what ever i get i'm makeing sure it's vented :rolleyes:

Sure, you can vent it. However, you might want to keep that on e for the light wind days and buy yourself a vented for the windy days.

If you insist on venting your REV I, be sure you purchase the correct type of screening. Basically you are search for rubber coated fiberglass screen, though there are some variations that are acceptable. Most window screen material is not acceptable for this as it is usually too slippery and pulls out at the points you sew it and the crossing threads are not connected. Best is to purchase the screening from a reputable kite/fabrics store that handles such materials.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#5 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:45 PM

I flew inkslingers kite yesterday and let me tell you that baby's gotta Hemi :lol:

OK here is the breakdown Rev 1 mylar middle panels, SLE rod, bridles tied in such a way that it really doesn't like braking. I brought in his lower lines to a 1/2" from the handle, made him and extended top pigtail with adjustments, fixed up the uneven lines and it does fly allot better now. Inkslinger I'm going to make you a set of longer top adjustment lines that should help more.

One thing i did notice compared to my "OLD" Rev 1 aside from me having the 4 wrap frame, the bridle seemed very different (I'm sure the longer top adjustment will help), this probably explains why the lines that came with mine the tops were 6" longer than the bottoms.

Now as far as venting his kite can anyone tell me the difference between the 2 vertical vents and the one side panel vent performance wise which would be the more stable for him as he is still quite new at this. (plus I wouldn't mind knowing myself)

Thanks, Jim
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#6 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,448 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:53 PM

Sure, you can vent it. However, you might want to keep that on e for the light wind days and buy yourself a vented for the windy days.

If you insist on venting your REV I, be sure you purchase the correct type of screening. Basically you are search for rubber coated fiberglass screen, though there are some variations that are acceptable. Most window screen material is not acceptable for this as it is usually too slippery and pulls out at the points you sew it and the crossing threads are not connected. Best is to purchase the screening from a reputable kite/fabrics store that handles such materials.

I forgot to add this:
The best way of installing venting on an existing REV is to sew the screening on the place in the back of the sail where you want it and then cut out the other material on the front. Doing it this way insures that you maintain a reasonably even sail.
Installing the venting on a REV I with the mylar panel might be a problem due to the slipperiness of the mylar. I don't have any experience sewing screening over mylar.

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#7 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:33 PM

Two vertical vents on each wing, for sure... More stable, less of a "hole" in the sail.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#8 inkslinger

inkslinger
  • Forum Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:14 PM

http://freedom2000.f...babies_eng.html hey FortFlyer check this out and see if this helps you out on your quest on sewing

#9 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 04:45 PM

http://freedom2000.f...babies_eng.html hey FortFlyer check this out and see if this helps you out on your quest on sewing

OK now i'm in trouble, I swear if making kites takes away from my flying time i'm blaming you.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#10 Adam

Adam

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:21 PM

I just purchased a first generation Rev 1 with the old bridle and the lines set up with the clips.

Should I order a new bridle for this kite, and adjust the old flying lines, or should I jest leave it as is?

it's a very cool kite, and I'm looking forward to flying it.Posted Image
"It was the wind Captain"

#11 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,448 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:53 PM

I just purchased a first generation Rev 1 with the old bridle and the lines set up with the clips.

Should I order a new bridle for this kite, and adjust the old flying lines, or should I jest leave it as is?

For compatibility with present line sets, I would suggest you get a new bridle, cheap, from you local REV dealer then reworking your lines so that all lines are of equal length. Remove the clips and swivels. Maybe save them along with the original bridle if for any reason you wish to restore the REV I to it's original shipped state.

#12 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:05 PM

For that kite to work you have to change out the bridle, this kite has the old two step bridle I'm sure..... BenPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#13 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:57 PM

Yep, buy a new bridle for it. Shouldnt take long to fix, do take careful note of how the pieces fit together though.

#14 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:18 AM

hey adam!,
you live near enough in Fairfax to join our group (Wings Over Washington) Or at the very least occasionally come out and fly with us. WoW has many fine quad-line fliers and some extraordinary builders including past national champions. Several of us compete regularly in various categories from novice to masters we would love to share our kites and knowledge with you. We'll get your new kite all tuned up & flying as well as possible. We can be reached thru the club's web-site hosted by Kitelife.com. We are wowKiteCLUBdotCOM and there must be over a hundred revolution kites owned between a dozen of us.

#15 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:18 AM

"and there must be over a hundred revolution kites owned between a dozen of us." Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Add Paul's collection to one or two other members and you have 100 revs!

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#16 Adam

Adam

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:56 AM

hey adam!,
you live near enough in Fairfax to join our group (Wings Over Washington) Or at the very least occasionally come out and fly with us. WoW has many fine quad-line fliers and some extraordinary builders including past national champions. Several of us compete regularly in various categories from novice to masters we would love to share our kites and knowledge with you. We'll get your new kite all tuned up & flying as well as possible. We can be reached thru the club's web-site hosted by Kitelife.com. We are wowKiteCLUBdotCOM and there must be over a hundred revolution kites owned between a dozen of us.

I sent in my dues last week, and plan on seeing you all the beginning of next month.

#17 Adam

Adam

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:01 AM

For compatibility with present line sets, I would suggest you get a new bridle, cheap, from you local REV dealer then reworking your lines so that all lines are of equal length. Remove the clips and swivels. Maybe save them along with the original bridle if for any reason you wish to restore the REV I to it's original shipped state.

I already ordered the new bridle for the Rev1, and am thinking about reworking the linset that came with the kite so that they are all the same length, and geting rid of the clips. It looks to be in good condition.

#18 Scott A.

Scott A.

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:55 AM

This has to be the largest collection of custom/KNOCKOFFS I've seen.
Scott Weider
Team REV RIDERS

#19 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:20 AM

This has to be the largest collection of custom/KNOCKOFFS I've seen.

100 per cent banal as far as I could see.

The basic Rev sail designs may not have been 'dramatic' but the 'copies' are dire.

Felix

#20 Adam

Adam

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:38 AM

Yesterday afternoon I went out and flew my 1.5 in a gustly wind. After a while I decided to break out the new (old) Rev 1 and see how it flew. The wind had died down a bit, but I was able to launch, and fly the kite a bit, but nothing like the 1.5. It would climb, and then very quickly want to decend back to the ground. I think it will need a lot of wind to fly as its set up now.

It does have a one piece bridle, but the lines are very thick compared to the other bridles I have seen. I do have a new bridle on order from WOC.

It also made a lot of noise when I was flying the kite. I'm thinking the sail is too loose on the frame, and that I need to tighten, or replace the elastic on the frame connection.

the other issue is the flight line. The line is in good shape, and all four lines are the same length, but they all have the metal connectors on each end. I will be removing the connectors and keeping that flight line in service.

I have a new Rev 1 Sedgwick that flies much better than the 'old' one. Will the flight characteristics improve if I make the bridle and bungee changes, or will it always need better than ten mph wind to fly adequately.

I appreciate the advice Posted Image

Adam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users