25 replies to this topic

#21 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:25 AM

Make sure you have the dust cup secured well so it doesn't fall off during an inverted hoover!

If your wind conditions are as variable as they are here in the Midwest of the US, you can get a full- or extra-vent 1.5, and use vent covers when winds are lighter to increase sail area. I haven't heard of any that are made commercially, but I've seen some home-made that use velcro to attach.
Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

#22 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:59 PM

Funny SV, I didn't know the EXP had a different bridle than the 1.5s.

James, I would call Theresa at the kite shoppe. She has 1.5 bridles, and she has the bridle line that's used to make new leaders. You can order these from her online site, but I'll bet she'll adjust the postage for you if that's all your getting, as bridles and line are small and practically weighless, and will just go in an envelope. kiteshoppe 1-866-ROKKAKU

I can tell you how to make new leaders, I will have more time later on. For right now, though, do you have any thick string or cord around your house? Maybe even yarn, if you braided it first for strength. This is just temporary kluge! Just take a loop of string, say 10-15 inches long, and tie it in a loop. Tie a couple knots in it an inch apart. Larkshead the new loops onto the knot that you already have on your top leader line. Does this make sense? This will give you a sense of what it's like to fly with longer leaders. Your kite will stop being so twitchy and crazy. With longer leaders, you will have to give a lot more input to get it off the ground, just be expecting that. But once you're flying, it should feel a lot smoother.

It sounds like you had a fantastic first day out. Remember the learning curve is steep. Do you ski? wakeboard? windsurf? kayak? Or something like that. Think of something you do where you have to have muscle memory. Even riding a bike, if you can remember what that felt like at first. It's hard at first, you're thinking about too many variables, then things start to click. If you were even trying fly inverted, that's great. Of course the wing tip flipped, that's what happens in the beginning and of course the lines wrapped around the tips (aka tip-wrap) and it went into an uncontrolled spin. We've all been there.

Just pretend all my statements are prefaced with IIRC, AFAIK, IMHO, and end with "Just my $.02," okay?
(And stop asking for cookies, all you new darkside converts! It was all just a ruse to get you here!)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#23 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:09 PM

And regarding what to get next: the usual progression would be to get a full vent (2 vents on each side) B series 1.5. This is the same size as your exp and the rods are interchangeable as SV noted. You will then have the entire wind range covered except for 0-2 and gale force. There will be a point in the middle of the range where yeah, it'd be nice to have a mid vent, but you'll be pretty well covered with a standard sail (the exp) and a full vent. The different rods allow one kite to cover a broad wind range. Later on, you can think about replacing the exp with a b series standard. Lastly, you add a mid.

Just pretend all my statements are prefaced with IIRC, AFAIK, IMHO, and end with "Just my $.02," okay?
(And stop asking for cookies, all you new darkside converts! It was all just a ruse to get you here!)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#24 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:18 PM

Why would the EXP have a different bridle than a 1.5?
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#25 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:38 PM

Why would the EXP have a different bridle than a 1.5?

I am not aware of any dimension differences between the EXP and any other 1.5 bridles. However, I must admit that I have never measured them.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#26 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:02 PM

I've been reaching a local to fly and she has an EXP! Katrina, I don't know if you met her at the beach on the Sunday we flew during the informal clinic!! There is no dimensional difference between bridles that I'm aware of, but the EXP bridle is made of a different material subject to stretch, the standard 1.5 bridle is nicer!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users