First Real Day Out

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 James AAA

James AAA
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:55 AM

Hi. Today was my first real day out with my EXP, meaning there was consistent wind. It was really fun but I think it might have been too windy. When the gusts picked up the kite would pull really hard and I had a hard time finessing and hoovering it. Trying to get a feel flying inverted the wings would flip over and I would lose temporary control, it also made crazy spins at times. Is this due to high winds? Not tooting my own horn, but I think I did better than I thought I would. No where near good, but just able to keep it in the air and turn and stuff like that. It did feel as if it was lacking control. Thinking if I was better, I still felt the inability to pull off the manuevers I see on the YouTube videos. Any input? Also if I were to upgrade (I can see this becoming a REALLY expensive hobbie/addiciton) to the B 1.5 which would better suit me with fluctuating wind conditions from 5-20 with gusts, STD, Mid Vent, Full Vent? Any feedback greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#2 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:21 AM

Hello, and welcome to the Dark Side!!

Sounds like you had a good flight for your first time out!
In regards to flipping the wing during inverted flight, that's usually due to OVER-control, so next time you're out flying try and have a lighter touch.
I believe the crazy spins you were experiencing were due to over-control as well, especially if you were experiencing this in stronger winds.
You will develop a lighter touch with time - there is no easy way to learn this art, just practice and repition to build muscle memories. Take a break from practicing every once in awhile to make sure you are enjoying yourself!

Concerning an upgrade to your EXP, I have to recommend all the kites you mentioned: standard, mid-vent, and full-vent would necessary for the range you specified (5-20 mph) :( there isn't one Rev that will handle it all (maybe a B2?).
I really don't know what to recommend here. The full-sail B, IMO, flies well between 3-10 mph. The full-vent flies well in 10-18 mph, again IMO. I've never flown a mid-vent. So, if your conditions are normally calmer, get the full-sail B. If normally windy, get the full-vent. Hopefully someone will recommend conditions for the mid-vent.

When the gusts picked up the kite would pull really hard and I had a hard time finessing and hoovering it

I didn't know you could run an inverted hoover! For questions about hoovering and Revs I should refer you to forum member katrina, she flies the wind-tunnel models :lol:

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#3 mbro

mbro

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:42 AM

Hi James andPosted Image .
Did you check to see that all your lines are the same length? this could effect control and wild spins!!
Michael
"But now, we are free. We are up; we are off..."

#4 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:18 AM

mbro - you read my mind on that one!! If I could suggest a cheap upgrade to the EXP - get a standard 1.5 bridle!! Made from a better material, less stretch, more control!! Only $12-15 from most dealers, it can really bring the EXP to life and takes minutes to install!! Remember too, that all the 1.5 frames are interchangeable, so you can increase your flying wind range by swapping frames!! If you want to eventually widen your flying range, consider any of the full vented sails! With a full sail (your EXP) and a full vent (any model), you'll cover almost any wind encountered!!
I agree that no single sail is perfect in all winds, but 2 will get you by!! After that, it's just a matter of how much time you're willing to spend learning!!
I've got a midvent, with 2 wrap as low as 4-5mph, with 3 wrap or race frame 15mph! Probably go higher, but I'm uncomfortable when the kite starts to pull!
Sounds like most of your issues are coming from "overcontrol", try a more gentle touch and guide the kite, not fight it!! Stages of flying 1. - The kite flies you! 2. - You fly the kite! 3. - You and the kite fly together!! The learning curve never ends!! PS: Did you try making leaders for the top lines, let's you adjust the kites' angle of attack into the wind!!

Welcome to the "Darkside", let the addiction begin!! Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#5 James AAA

James AAA
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:54 AM

Hi James andPosted Image .
Did you check to see that all your lines are the same length? this could effect control and wild spins!!
Michael

No I haven't. I bought it new from an online kite store a RTF Bundle I assumed they would be. I can check it out though. Thanks.

#6 James AAA

James AAA
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:56 AM

PS: Did you try making leaders for the top lines, let's you adjust the kites' angle of attack into the wind!!

Welcome to the "Darkside", let the addiction begin!! Posted Image

Thanks for all your advice. I'm not sure how to do this?

#7 James AAA

James AAA
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:03 AM

You can use a 1.5 frame with an EXP sail?

#8 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:27 AM

Yep, the EXP is just a different model of 1.5!! Uses the same frames as any 1.5 does!! The EXP comes with a 3 wrap, sometimes marked, sometimes not, so using other frames, 2 wrap or race, will give you different results in different winds!! Only thing I don't recommend is that you stick a 4 wrap frame in that sail, you'll probably stretch the wing if you need that strong a frame! There's lots of info on leaders in the Modifications topic, I'd post it for you but not sure how!! Anyone?? Posted Image
For line adjustments, put all 4 loops on a stake at one end, then put your handles on at the other! Check to see if both handles are even, if not adjust lines till they are!! If you attempt to make leaders, make sure that all the knots on each are exactly the same as the other!!

Don't be afraid to fly the heck out of that EXP, you'll learn a lot, then graduate to the better models after you learn!! Then you'll appreciate the differences and you can use the EXP to teach others!! Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#9 mbro

mbro

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:29 AM

Yes,totally interchangeable. What SV means is on your handles there should be leaders(pigtails) with knots so you can change the length of your top and bottom lines to adjust the angle of the kite relative to the windPosted Image
Michael

#10 mbro

mbro

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:33 AM

Yes,What he saidPosted Image
Michael

#11 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:37 AM

I've worked with someone else that has an EXP, they don't come with adjustable leaders (pigtails) on the handles, but it's an easy change to do! The bridle thing is easy too, and really helps!! You have to go up to a "B" model to get leaders on handles, and even then, most make new ones of their own!! Posted Image

wayne from portland

AKA member

#12 hyzakite

hyzakite

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:45 AM

Hi James, Posted Image aboard, when one wing flips over and goes into an uncontrolled spin it is because when the wing straightened out there was line wrapped over that wing tip. It's all just usual learning.

Mike

#13 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:52 AM

Sorry, bum info!! Posted ImageTry the Tuning/Adjustments topic for info on leaders and pics too! Posted Image There's a good article called My leaders.... Your thoughts!! Very nice, good pics!!

wayne from portland

AKA member

#14 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:04 AM

Welcome to the Darkside!

You might want to join up with group flying at LSP. They will surely give you plenty of assistance.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#15 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:49 PM

Trying to provide you a link - http://www.revkites....-your-thoughts/

Well it isn't perfect, but it'll do!Posted Image

wayne from portland

AKA member

#16 MercFlyer

MercFlyer

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:36 AM

Glad to hear you had fun, practice practice practice and watch the Kitelife tutorials a lot. I love my EXP, I've had it for three months and while I would like a B I think that I still have a ways to go before I really need one. Equalizing your lines and making/buying adjustable leaders will make a huge difference in how your kite handles. I read all the threads and watched the tutorials but didn't do any of the changes until I flew with some people and I am glad I did, it helps.

#17 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:43 AM

When the gusts picked up the kite would pull really hard and I had a hard time finessing and hoovering it. Is this due to high winds?

I didn't know you could run an inverted hoover! For questions about hoovering and Revs I should refer you to forum member katrina, she flies the wind-tunnel models :lol:

Ah, Thanks SkyPuppet! I'm always happy to have an excuse to show off my babies. Here is my matching set of kites and hoovers, a birthday present to myself this year:

Posted Image

Now I wouldn't beat yourself up too much if you are still having trouble with your hoover. It would help if I knew which model you are flying. Mine are the Self-Propelled Ultras with Wind Tunnel Technology. This is something like the Pro version of the 1.5s. The specs are almost the same, but it's true you will find the base model more difficult to maneuver. If you have the base model, I would strongly suggest lengthening the cord to 120'. You have the hose attached on the back right? Common beginner mistake. But honestly, you may want to work on the basics with your EXP for a while before attempting to fly your hoover again, especially in high winds.

And yes, it can be a very expensive hobby! I've got my eye on a set of Barresi signature quad line refrigerators for Xmas. Quite challenging to fly of course, but Mr. Barresi has promised lessons. Happy flying, and welcome to the forum!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7d6a219c-f09c-4ff7-bfe6-def4ee70537f.jpg 7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpg   9318e0ca-5fb4-4414-ba00-6101d95edf46.jpg   7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg   

#18 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:40 AM

He won't tell you this, but I know it be true. If you want to fly the JB refrigerators the door has to be open and you have to remove the racks.

Bart

#19 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:40 AM

He won't tell you this, but I know it be true. If you want to fly the JB refrigerators the door has to be open and you have to remove the racks.

Bart

On a, 'maybe similar level' [NOT] a drummer set up his kit (bass, snare, tom toms, cymbals whatever) and was going through his repetoire during the time we were on Blackheath today.

He was very good but it was great to hear the sounds melt into the space with no amplification...

Felix

#20 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:46 AM

Remove the racks?? I didn't get any instructions with mine!!! That's what I was doing wrong!! Posted Image
Did you ever look at the subject of leaders? Consider the bridle swap? You'll definitely improve that EXP!! Posted Image

wayne from portland

AKA member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users