Line lengths

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Twister

Twister
  • Forum Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:27 PM

I did a preflight on my Revolution and the lines are of four different lengths. It has not been flown in a while, say 20 years. It must have been one of the first ones made. I know, that at that time, the top and bottom lines were of different lengths, but I cannot find out how much. What it the difference, in length, between the top and bottom lines? I know that the top and bottom lines, as pairs, must be the same lengths.

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:55 PM

I did a preflight on my Revolution and the lines are of four different lengths. It has not been flown in a while, say 20 years. It must have been one of the first ones made. I know, that at that time, the top and bottom lines were of different lengths, but I cannot find out how much. What it the difference, in length, between the top and bottom lines? I know that the top and bottom lines, as pairs, must be the same lengths.

The difference is about 7 inches top to bottom. Both top lines must be the same length. Both bottom lines must be the same length.
However, I would recommend that you make all lines the same length. (It saves headaches later when you need to adjust lines.
If you do that you either have to add 7 inch leaders(pigtails or what ever you wish to call them) to the bridle connections. I don't recall whether it is top or bottom. That you will find out when you try to fly it. The other way is to purchase a new bridle from you REV dealer.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:55 AM

We have converted many of the older Revs that had the different line lengths over. It makes things so much easier plus you can then use your lineset on different Revs without having issues.

New bridles for the Rev 1 are $12.00 each. We have them in stock.

Installing the new bridle only takes about 5 minutes to do. Once you change your bridle over, you will need to re-equalize your lines so that all four lines are equal lengths.

If you have one of the older Rev 1's then it may have huge metal swivels/clips on the bridle which are not needed and add a ton of weight to the kite, making it very hard or near impossible to fly in light winds. Changing the bridle over to a new bridle will get rid of these cumbersome clips and lighten the kite up a bunch.

#4 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:28 PM

The difference is about 7 inches top to bottom. Both top lines must be the same length. Both bottom lines must be the same length.
However, I would recommend that you make all lines the same length. (It saves headaches later when you need to adjust lines.
If you do that you either have to add 7 inch leaders(pigtails or what ever you wish to call them) to the bridle connections. I don't recall whether it is top or bottom. That you will find out when you try to fly it. The other way is to purchase a new bridle from you REV dealer.

It's the Top lines.

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#5 Twister

Twister
  • Forum Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:53 PM

We have converted many of the older Revs that had the different line lengths over. It makes things so much easier plus you can then use your lineset on different Revs without having issues.

New bridles for the Rev 1 are $12.00 each. We have them in stock.

Installing the new bridle only takes about 5 minutes to do. Once you change your bridle over, you will need to re-equalize your lines so that all four lines are equal lengths.

If you have one of the older Rev 1's then it may have huge metal swivels/clips on the bridle which are not needed and add a ton of weight to the kite, making it very hard or near impossible to fly in light winds. Changing the bridle over to a new bridle will get rid of these cumbersome clips and lighten the kite up a bunch.

Thanks, I knew I could trust the forum for the answers. I will order the new bridles as it sounds like it will improve the kite. Now if I could improve the pilot.

Twister

#6 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:30 PM

Thanks, I knew I could trust the forum for the answers. I will order the new bridles as it sounds like it will improve the kite. Now if I could improve the pilot.

Twister

That is a great choice. The newer bridles also make better use of the sail because the lengths were changed in various places. It is a longer bridle. When this happened I am unsure. I would be guessing if I said the mid-nineties. There could have been other changes over the years.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users