removing excess color

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 drdante

drdante
  • Forum Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:38 AM

Hi, I have three Revolution in black / red in the JB version. they are about. 1 years old and have been used extensively, both in sunshine and rainy weather And before I can manage to get home to hang them to dry. And the red color rubbed off on the white center piece of the fabric where the Revolution logo sits.
Are there others who have tried this and might have succeeded in removing this Red excess color on the white fabric?

#2 Madquad

Madquad

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:49 AM

Never heard of this problem Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

It's not the size of your Rev.. its how you use it.
Seven days without flying a Rev makes one weak.

http://www.air-4-ce.nl

batch-air4ce.jpg?w=230&h=230

#3 drdante

drdante
  • Forum Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:00 AM

I'll try to upload a photo.

#4 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:11 AM

I have heard of this and seen this problem in various polyester sailed kites. Red and Blue seem to be the colors I noticed that are most vulnerable.
This usually is the result of the kite being packed up while it is very wet.
If your kite is wet, dry it as much as possible before you pack it up. Then when you get to your destination, open it up to allow it to dry thoroughly before you pack it away awaiting the next time you fly it.
I also noticed that the stain will almost disappear on it's own over time.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#5 drdante

drdante
  • Forum Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:45 AM

I am aware of my lack of drying the kites. But are there some who have tried to remove the stains.

#6 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:49 AM

I am aware of my lack of drying the kites. But are there some who have tried to remove the stains.

I personally would not want to try anything other then a mild detergent. Then I would only use my fingers to rub it in.
Any chemical or abrasive item would surely do more damage then good.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#7 Madquad

Madquad

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:49 AM

http://www.kiteforum...2296164&p=83677

It's not the size of your Rev.. its how you use it.
Seven days without flying a Rev makes one weak.

http://www.air-4-ce.nl

batch-air4ce.jpg?w=230&h=230

#8 windpoacher

windpoacher

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:05 PM

I would try DENATURED alcohol, .........It was recomended to me ...by the pro's, to clean the sail before a repair of mine..
I believe it will work and not harm the sail........remember " DENATURED"
................Hope this help's...............Posted Image ...............Eli....aka Windpoacher.......
..........................W I N D P O A C H E R..........................
...........................thank god for wind..........................
............................thank him often..........................

#9 mbro

mbro

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:45 PM

I apologize for steering away from topic, (slightly) , everyone was mentioning wet and I've gotten caught on my favorite flying field twice now with the sprinklers goingPosted Image What about lines? I leave my kite together and make sure it's dry but what about spectra, can it mold if not dried out??? I'm limited on space in my back yard to stretch 120' of line out!!! I have taken it out and let it air dry, but all wrapped up, Any thoughts
Michael
"But now, we are free. We are up; we are off..."

#10 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 04:00 PM

I would try DENATURED alcohol, .........It was recomended to me ...by the pro's, to clean the sail before a repair of mine..
................Hope this help's...............Posted Image ...............Eli....aka Windpoacher.......

"Denatured" just means that the alcohol has had an emetic added to make you throw up if you try to drink it. If you can get pure grain (ethyl) alcohol it will be even purer than Denatured, which is treated with an emetic to avoid alcohol taxes.

In some states you can buy a liquor called EVERCLEAR which is very pure grain alcohol - 95% or 190 proof. People use it to make fruit liqueurs, and sometimes as a handy molotov cocktail. You will pay a hefty federal and state alcohol tax because it is almost pure drinkable alcohol. I had a friend passing through one of the states where it is sold buy me six bottles. The lady at the liquor store asked him who he was mad at; I think she assumed he was going to fire-bomb somebody. I still have 1 1/2 bottles left after 20 odd years.

I use it when I want to clean something delicate, or burn it in an alcohol lamp when I need a very clean flame.

What you should NEVER do is drink it straight! It will severely damage the mucus membranes in your throat and on your vocal cords. AND I AIN'T KIDDING! You would probably heal eventually, but it would be a long unpleasant process.

--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#11 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:23 AM

I apologize for steering away from topic, (slightly) , everyone was mentioning wet and I've gotten caught on my favorite flying field twice now with the sprinklers goingPosted Image What about lines?
Michael

Not a big deal. If they are wet, then just wind them up loosely and prop them to dry. Since they'll be on the winder so loosely, don't wind in a figure 8 even if you usually do. Just wind them on straight so they won't fall off. I've soaked my lines plenty of times to get salt out. Willow said you can even use a little dishwashing detergent (like Dawn) in the water to clean dirty lines. Don't worry, give em air and they'll dry just fine.

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7d6a219c-f09c-4ff7-bfe6-def4ee70537f.jpg 7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpg   9318e0ca-5fb4-4414-ba00-6101d95edf46.jpg   7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg   

#12 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:06 AM

If you're worried about mold, you're not flying enough!!!! Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#13 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:14 AM

Hi, I have three Revolution in black / red in the JB version. they are about. 1 years old and have been used extensively, both in sunshine and rainy weather And before I can manage to get home to hang them to dry. And the red color rubbed off on the white center piece of the fabric where the Revolution logo sits.
Are there others who have tried this and might have succeeded in removing this Red excess color on the white fabric?

If your bridle is red, the stain may be from the bridle, not the sail material. You can check by wetting a white cloth or paper towel and rubbing the bridle with it. If this is the case, remove the bridle, stuff it in a sock and throw it in the washing machine.Use a rubber band to secure the open end of the sock so the bridle doesn't come out of it.
Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

#14 mbro

mbro

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:30 AM

@Katrina, thanksPosted Image
@ SV, you got that right, not nearly enoughPosted Image Three days off work and no wind!!!
Michael
"But now, we are free. We are up; we are off..."

#15 drdante

drdante
  • Forum Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:57 AM

thanks for all the corresponding answers. I just think I will live the stains are on the kite. But the next new kite, I will ensure that the excess color is washed off before I fly with it.

#16 Smitty

Smitty

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:35 AM

I was told the same thing...There was some crud all over the beach in Wildwood and it got all over a section of mine and Ben's Revs......I was afraid to use it on the Icarex but maybe it will work.

DSmith

#17 badinfluence

badinfluence
  • Forum Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:33 AM

I know alot of you may disagree with this post but one time i has an issue with getting "bag bleed" from a damp kite bag bleeding color onto my Prism power kite. It stained the white areas with black magic marker looking stains. I called Prism and they recommened i try a product called "K2R". You can fiind it on the internet but my local hardware had it in stock. They use it for marine purposes, etc. It is in an aerosol can with a fine brush on top and comes out almost like a spray powder. Believe it or not it worked well getting off all of the stains and did not damage the material. The said that they use it all the time when they clean kites for customers. Hope this helps anyone.......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users