25 replies to this topic

#21 Tmadz

Tmadz

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:00 PM

Bumping this one just to say that these mods have been working now for three years, with only two failures. One with the washer/flame style and one with the metal crimp style. The failures both times were where the button allowed the bungee to slip through, no damage to sail material (which is what I definitely wanted to avoid). Both failures occurred while teaching new flyers, with typical new flyers' hard impact on grass. Intermediate-and-up flyers should have no problems, barring any SEVERE impact.

Yeah. I was one of them. About gave me a heart attack one of the first times on the handles.

#22 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 05:53 PM

Was that you? Seriously don't remember. It's a fast and easy repair, so I really don't give it much thought except that the kite wont fly, so I just switch to another. At least it gives you some insight into the kind of mods you can make to your kites and how well they hold up. You've got a head-start on those who haven't tried it, assuming you want to start hacking up a perfectly good kite just to find out if you can make it fly better or differently. I have no problem taking a brand new kite and chopping it up.

And if you think I'm bad, you should talk to Paul LeMasters.

Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

#23 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:04 PM

Not even going to go there!!!  ani_giveup.gif

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#24 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:46 PM

Not even going to go there!!!  ani_giveup.gif

Wayne, I can cut up your new indoor so you can fly it by just twitching your fingers! You want me to give it a try? cup_1st.gif

Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

#25 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:11 AM

Keep your paws off my Indoor!!! ani_weightlift.gif

With just a few minor mods (mostly Watty's), tweaking frame tension, sail tension, adding leaders and caps, everything stays pretty much stock, the way I like it! I flew a near 10 year old sail for the last 4 years pretty hard with those same mods (done by Watty himself), and really figured out flying indoors! ani_idea.gif

I'm still getting that new one trained!! ani_giveup.gif

Haven't found the USB port to install the tricks on my flash drive yet!!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#26 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:02 AM

Bump -- The bungee mod I've described here does work, but I have realized that it is too complicated and not easily field-adjustable. To achieve the flexibility of use and the weight reduction I sought at the outset, I decided to redesign the sail attachment hardware "from the ground up" and have come up with what I believe is a viable solution.

Stay tuned, will post pics of final design as soon as possible.

Mark

Posted Image

CSN&Y

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users