30 replies to this topic

#21 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 04:15 PM

I would not use pro in heavy wind. UL, or equipped would be fine, because in strong wind, weight is not as much of an issue. 6 wrap is a little over the top, unless you're flying a kite in a hurricane. these spars should be perfectly easy to remove.

Is that what you were asking?

Spence

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#22 djinnzfree

djinnzfree
  • Forum Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 04:41 PM

so if i understand well for strong wind only UL rod are OK 3 horizontal and 2 vertical. you don't put 2 more at each end of the 3 horizontal?
the shape of the hole looks like a drop... where its more easy to enter a additional rod on top C shape or under in the V shape?

next time i'll ask question with a draw... hahahah!!! ;)
°°°have you hugged your kite today?°°°

#23 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 05:00 PM

I was flying in a strong wind and had both 3 wrap and 2 wrap rods in my 1.5. I had the endcaps on the 3 wrap rod ends and the two wraps were held in by friction. This was working fine except the two wrap rods kept sliding becoming exposed past the end caps which of course makes them vulerable. Is there a way to keep the 2 wraps in place. Maybe take a wrap of tape around the the ends of the 2wrap and 3 wrap rod ends. There is about 3/4 inch of rod exposed so that would be easy.

I like the way the kite flies with both rod sets in there but I am worried about messing up the 2 wrap ends.

I know I should buy a vented. Tell my wife.

The object of putting in both a 2 and 3 wrap 1/4" LE together stiffens the LE which tightens up the sail causing it to dump the air quicker from the sail thus you get less pull. Your REV 1.5 with 1/4" 3 wrap "Ultra Light" will handle quite well in very strong winds , however the sail will bellow more, dumping less air and it will pull much more.
An alternative is to use a "Revolution Equipped" (so-called 4 wrap) LE. It is not quite as stiff as the 2 rod combination, put stiffer then a 3 wrap LE alone.
The SLE (3/8") is most commonly seen in an "Ultra Light" (so-called 3 wrap) is roughly the same stiffness as 1/4" "Revolution Equipped" (so-called 4 wrap) LE..
There is also a "Revolution Equipped" SLE(3/8"). This LE is stiffer then the 1/4" "Revolution Equipped" LE. It is almost as stiff as a 2 and 3 wrap 1/4" LE together, maybe stiffer.
If you have both 2 and 3 wrap 1/4" LE you really don't need to go out and buy the SLE "Revolution Equipped" LE. But if you have SLE, use it in the strong winds. But, be sure to protect your bridle from being cut by installing rubber washers on the upper end caps.
To my knowledge there has never been a STIFF(so-called 6 wrap) on the market for a REV 1.5. This was only available for the REV I and then under special order.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#24 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:57 PM

so if i understand well for strong wind only UL rod are OK 3 horizontal and 2 vertical. you don't put 2 more at each end of the 3 horizontal?

It sounds like you don't understand the process of putting two leading edges in your kite. If the wind is too strong for a three wrap leading edge set (three spars) you add a set of two wrap (all three spars) in along with the three wrap set. This is usually done with vented Revs. If the wind is too strong to fly a full sail 1.5 with three wrap spars, it's time to use a vented kite.

Jim
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#25 djinnzfree

djinnzfree
  • Forum Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 02:38 AM

gotcha Jim! i was confused about 2wrap and three rod... :bag:
my kite is a signature J. Barresi with 2 set of rods
2wrap = ul rod set
3wrap = pro rod set

the UL ones come stock mounted on the kite and if the wind become strong i'll put 3 more rod from the pro set right?

how to remove easily those 3 extra rod when it's time to fold the kite in the bag?

thanks!

#26 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 06:54 AM

The 2 wrap shcould be labled "pro use only" and the 3 wrap should be labled "Ultra Light". When the wind is somewhere around 3-8mph, I would use 2 wrap (pro). When the wind is 8-20, I would use 3wrap (UL). DWhen it is even heavier, I would use 3 wrap (UL) down spars (2 vertical spars), and 3 wrap (UL) + 2 wrap LE's (3 horizontal spars)

Spence "Watty" Watson

#27 djinnzfree

djinnzfree
  • Forum Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:34 AM

thank's Watty! now i understand! :kid_happy:

#28 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 10:19 AM

Any time :D

Spence "Watty" Watson

#29 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:31 PM

The object of putting in both a 2 and 3 wrap 1/4" LE together stiffens the LE which tightens up the sail causing it to dump the air quicker from the sail thus you get less pull. Your REV 1.5 with 1/4" 3 wrap "Ultra Light" will handle quite well in very strong winds , however the sail will bellow more, dumping less air and it will pull much more.
An alternative is to use a "Revolution Equipped" (so-called 4 wrap) LE. It is not quite as stiff as the 2 rod combination, put stiffer then a 3 wrap LE alone.
The SLE (3/8") is most commonly seen in an "Ultra Light" (so-called 3 wrap) is roughly the same stiffness as 1/4" "Revolution Equipped" (so-called 4 wrap) LE..
There is also a "Revolution Equipped" SLE(3/8"). This LE is stiffer then the 1/4" "Revolution Equipped" LE. It is almost as stiff as a 2 and 3 wrap 1/4" LE together, maybe stiffer.
If you have both 2 and 3 wrap 1/4" LE you really don't need to go out and buy the SLE "Revolution Equipped" LE. But if you have SLE, use it in the strong winds. But, be sure to protect your bridle from being cut by installing rubber washers on the upper end caps.
To my knowledge there has never been a STIFF(so-called 6 wrap) on the market for a REV 1.5. This was only available for the REV I and then under special order.

Let me correct this!

CHANGE(1):
The SLE (3/8") is most commonly seen in an "Ultra Light" (so-called 3 wrap) is roughly the same stiffness as 1/4" "Revolution Equipped" (so-called 4 wrap) LE.
TO(1):
The SLE (3/8") is most commonly seen in an "Ultra Light" (so-called 3 wrap) is stiffer then the 1/4" "Revolution Equipped" (so-called 4 wrap) LE.

CHANGE(2):
TO(2):
There is also a "Revolution Equipped" SLE(3/8"). This LE is stiffer then the 3/8" "Ultra Light" SLE. It is stiffer then the 2 and 3 wrap 1/4" LE together, probably about as stiff as a 1/4" STIFF(6-wrap). I don't know of a STIFF for the REV 1.5, only for the REV I.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#30 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:02 PM

the UL ones come stock mounted on the kite and if the wind become strong i'll put 3 more rod from the pro set right?

how to remove easily those 3 extra rod when it's time to fold the kite in the bag?

thanks!

Right....You will then have a three wrap set and a two wrap set in the leading edge of the kite. I slide the two wrap set above, that is on the top as the kite is standing upright.

When I finish flying, if I think I will want both sets in the kite next time, I remove the caps from the three wrap set, then grip the center of the kite and slide both sets of spars apart and fold the kite with all of them inside.

If I want to remove the two wrap set, leaving the three wrap set, I remove the caps from the three wrap set, grip the kite in the center of the leading edge and remove one of the outer two wrap spars. Then hold the end of the other outer two wrap spar and let the weight of the kite pull down slightly on the leading edge spars. You can then slide the remaining two wrap spars out of the kite. The weight on the center of the kite will cause enough friction on the farrell between the sections, that they will stay together and come out together.

Jim
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#31 mousieo

mousieo

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 11:23 AM

This is a very good thread. I never knew until wskif about putting in a double rod.. and one of the things that gets me every time is figuring out which is two wrap and so on.
I know my race rods lol... I keep them in a secret place. But the others can get a bit confusing.
Thanks all .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users