158 replies to this topic

#81 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:57 AM

Hello all looks like we have some Race Rod questions and thought I'd put some more info out there, Jim I'm with you I can fly with just about all the rods in my kites but the lightness and stiffness of these rods are only one part of the use of these rods, where they shine for me is the reflex which equals the turning of the kite. The response of movement from the handles to kite is so far above anything I've used before this is what make the Race Rods what I put in my kite, as for wind,well where I've found these rods seem to really excel is between 4mph and 9mph but once again these are just my thoughts. John B. and Steve and Monkey of iQuad have really put these rods under big conditions and feel that the rods are great for there vented kites under these conditions. One thing I'd really like to make clear is that these rods are not for everyone there for the flier who is really in tune with kite to handles to position and is looking for a really good responsive rod and knows what these things mean and how to get the most out of this, I'm not reinventing the wheel I'm just trying to balance it to get the most out of it......... :blue_wink: :blue_wink: :blue_wink: Ben :blue-cool:

#82 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:48 AM

Hello all looks like we have some Race Rod questions and thought I'd put some more info out there, Jim I'm with you I can fly with just about all the rods in my kites but the lightness and stiffness of these rods are only one part of the use of these rods, where they shine for me is the reflex which equals the turning of the kite. The response of movement from the handles to kite is so far above anything I've used before this is what make the Race Rods what I put in my kite, as for wind,well where I've found these rods seem to really excel is between 4mph and 9mph but once again these are just my thoughts. John B. and Steve and Monkey of iQuad have really put these rods under big conditions and feel that the rods are great for there vented kites under these conditions. One thing I'd really like to make clear is that these rods are not for everyone there for the flier who is really in tune with kite to handles to position and is looking for a really good responsive rod and knows what these things mean and how to get the most out of this, I'm not reinventing the wheel I'm just trying to balance it to get the most out of it......... :blue_wink: :blue_wink: :blue_wink: Ben :blue-cool:

Thanks Ben, you pretty much summed it up for me, I guess I'll have to get a set from what you describe it sounds like these would be perfect for my vented in light wind :rockon:
Maybe this will open the door for say a Turbo Race Rod lighter than a 3 wrap with the stiffness of a 4 wrap :w00t: for the 10+ crowd
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#83 Fraser

Fraser

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:48 AM

Maybe this will open the door for say a Turbo Race Rod lighter than a 3 wrap with the stiffness of a 4 wrap :w00t: for the 10+ crowd

Oh for Goodness sake! Why don't we go for a 0-wrap with the strength of a 10-wrap?? I suggest that stuff that shoots outa Spidey's wrists - wrapped around a dragonfly's leg. :kid_brooding:

#84 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:04 PM

Oh for Goodness sake! Why don't we go for a 0-wrap with the strength of a 10-wrap?? I suggest that stuff that shoots outa Spidey's wrists - wrapped around a dragonfly's leg. :kid_brooding:

Great Idea :w00t: Ben get this guy in research and development asap lol
Jim,

Posted Image

#85 Fraser

Fraser

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 02:10 AM

Great Idea :w00t: Ben get this guy in research and development asap lol

Harumph. :kid_brooding:

#86 ilh

ilh

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:54 AM

My race sticks were waiting for me when I returned home yesterday. I haven't had a chance to fly them yet, but I did put them on my postage scale. The whole frame is 76.1g (2.7oz). The leading edge center with solid ferrules weighs 22.7g, and the other four sticks average 13.4g each.

In contrast, the 2-wrap frame I received from Rev last fall weighs 2.8oz with hollow ferrules. Some recent 2-wrap sticks weigh about 11.7g each, lighter than the Race sticks. A complete frame would be about 2.3oz. I think the new 2-wraps are a bit stiffer with more rapid reponse than the older ones and fly nicely in my SUL in the 2-6mph I've had them up in so far. It can be a bit confusing with the old and new labels being identical "Professional Only". I need to mark them in some way to differentiate.

I'm looking forward to trying out the Race sticks in my vented and SUL. I'll have them at BASKC if others want try them out. I'll be wearing a Red Sox hat and flying rainbow 1.5s.

--Lee

PS: Sorry for all the numbers. I'm an engineer. I can't help it.

#87 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:48 AM

Lee, you got Race Spars with "Pro Use Only" labels?

Rapid response, that sums up the Race Spars nicely. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#88 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:56 AM

Sounds like the wrong frame shipped. Mine came yesterday with the flame race labels. Looks great but with zero wind plus I guess I should go to work, I'll find out later how they fly. Last night is was dead at midnight when I get off work but mabe tonight we will have a light on-shore going on. That would be sweet.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#89 ilh

ilh

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:04 AM

John, sorry for the confusion. I have two batches of 2-wrap "Pro Use Only" spars that are different, the batch from a few weeks ago is 20% lighter than a batch from last fall. The new batch is lighter than the Race spars, whereas the old batch is heavier. Apparently there may be silent changes (for the better) to the 2-wrap spars going on.

I haven't had a chance to fly the Race spars yet.

--Lee

#90 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:12 AM

I think it's more like variances in the construction of the spars... I would imagine that the modulus of the graphic may vary throughout the year, depending on available materials... Just a guess.

I've never paid much attention to these differences, and simply go with light range, middle range and heavy range spars in my mind.

Added to that now, are the Race Spars, which have a much faster "snap" back to straight from a bend.

Everything else comes from good flying technique.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#91 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:26 AM

I received my Race Spars and they have the flame label,...
haven't given 'em a good spankin' yet, but maybe this weekend or Next week at Dieppe (Canada).

#92 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:40 PM

aarrgghh im waiting for a call from my shop to see if any are left for ordering i want a set by this weekend but i dont think its gonna happen :kid_brooding:
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#93 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:12 AM

I finally got to fly these magic spars. It was so cool. It was after work, just after midnight (dark) on the beach with a full wind from the ocean. I put 1 finger light on for effect. I didnít want lines all over the dark beach so I put on a set of 30s. (too short for that wind/kite)
Race spar was a good choice of labels. That thing was screaming across the sky, which looked awesome with the light on it. I probably should have taken the vented out but I was having fun. There is a web cam there on the pier which I played with and even covered it with the sail. Sadly I was quite sure that no one was watching a beach cam at midnight. So far so good. Very responsive even with the stock handles I was using!!

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#94 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:50 AM

well i got a set in transit i cant wait to try them .. im hopeing to get thme by friday before the fly weekend here..

#95 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:40 PM

I finally got to fly these magic spars. It was so cool. It was after work, just after midnight (dark) on the beach with a full wind from the ocean. I put 1 finger light on for effect. I didnít want lines all over the dark beach so I put on a set of 30s. (too short for that wind/kite)
Race spar was a good choice of labels. That thing was screaming across the sky, which looked awesome with the light on it. I probably should have taken the vented out but I was having fun. There is a web cam there on the pier which I played with and even covered it with the sail. Sadly I was quite sure that no one was watching a beach cam at midnight. So far so good. Very responsive even with the stock handles I was using!!

Awwww Man! Would have like to have seen that! Let us know next time you're in front of the cam. What's the site addy, btw?

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#96 ilh

ilh

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 04:07 PM

I just flew my vented with the Race sticks. The wind was pretty lousy, up and down about 5-10mph. It flies beautifully in 8+. It is "doable" in about 6, but it is fairly unresponsive at the low-end and the wind window is very small. I'll need more wind with the vented to see how the Race sticks react. I didn't have enough time to pull out my SUL and put the Race sticks in it, but that would have been better when the wind dropped off a bit.

--Lee

#97 nckiter

nckiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:41 AM

Got my new race rods yesterday and hit the beach flying. These are some sweet rods! Only flew them in a vented B, but am looking forward to trying some more combinations.

We did a very unscientific comparison all with B series. Wind was 9 - 11 mph off the ocean, some lull near the sand.

Std. (Non vented) B with 3 wraps. Great as usual, quick, faster than the vented with 3 wrap, slightly twitchy with the gusts. Only light pumps if needed to get through any ground lulls.

Vented B with 3 wraps. Again, great as usual, smoother than the std. slower than the std. Moderate pumping needed to get through ground lulls.

Vented B with race rods. Talk about blending the best of each kite! This was a transformed kite. Lots more flex in the LE. Smooth solid response to inputs. Stable and smooth through gusts. Speed approaching the std. Back to light pumping in the lulls. the extra billowing in the sails seems to make pumps more efficient and effective. Reverse flight, hovers, clock turns all rock steady. Reverse flight is quick.

Don't know what the upper wind range is yet, but with gusts easily hitting 12 we had absolutely no indications of impending doom. We bumped it around pretty good and no problems.

Look forward to hearing other's experiences with these rods especially regarding sail / rod combinations and wind ranges.
Kip Clement
Apex (land of light and variable wind) NC

#98 nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:23 AM

Just finally have my order for a set sent in via my local kitestore... gotta help the locals keep the scene roaring..

#99 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:51 PM

nothing yet for me :kid_brooding: this week i hope

#100 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 03:11 PM

nothing yet for me :kid_brooding: this week i hope

Damn Ant what are they walking them to you? I ordered mine Tuesday and got them today.
Jim,

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users