4 replies to this topic

#1 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:12 AM

Well the damn mutant beat me to my idea of chest mounting my GoPro when it arrived so I decided to test filming from the headlamp mounting...

The sun and wind were badly aligned but I was determined to test the concept anyway, even if the sun is in frame most of the time :angry:
I tried to fly off on the left third of the window, but with only 30' of line it was a tad bit impossible to keep the sun out of the recording frame. I cut the sound and reduced the size from full 1080p HD down to this just to get it up to youtube and see how it came out.

No routine here, just a lot of dive stops to see how the speed is handled by the Go Pro as well as some slower moves. The main thing I wanted to test was speed and catches.

#2 belgarum

belgarum
  • Forum Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:52 AM

Cool - Very cool :)

JP
JP

Rev 1.5B Full Sail (Black & Gold)
Rev 1.5B Mid Vent "Night"
Rev 1.5B Full Vent (Blue & Grey)
Revopolo 1.5 Printed "440102"
Rev1 Sedgwick (Cool)
Flexifoil Super 10
HQ Beamer IV 3.0
Powerhouse Adrenaline
Powerhouse Blade
Flexifoil Atom 1.4

"The quality is remembered long after the cost is forgotten"

#3 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:26 AM

Catch and throws are even more impressive with the GoPro! Nicely done :)

It caught the gleaming panels very nicely!! The spins didn't blur too much either. I'd say its a winner!

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#4 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:06 PM

If I have speed issues I can drop from 1080p @ 30fps recording to 960p @ 60fps .... thats why I had the full sail B2 out with 3-wraps - I wasnted to see how the camera did with the speed.

That was the reason for the repeated dive stops and spins. As far as rev videos go, the content is pretty boring since I was just doing a sort of proof of concept to see how it handles certain aspects.

Keep in mind that this was essentially mounted on my head like a headlamp with no way of me knowing what was actually in it's field of view. I do have the LCD back-pac for it, but I was out by myself with nobody to check it for me, so I just tilted back as far as it goes for a reference point (seemed level enough) and shot blind. The main things I wanted to test out from that point of reference was the field of view, where it focused, how it handled the speed of spins and dive-stops, how my head tracked around the window at vairous speeds (would th kite stay reasonable centered) and how the catch and throw would look and how steady the camera would be moving to the catch (I did a few off to the side I had to run for).

I took about 6 clips, of which this was the second, to review when I got home. With the sun setting the video got progressively more affected by having the sun in frame, but it was good enough for me to see the concept in action. The first clip I recorded I flew all over the window and had the sun in the way a lot. With this clip I tried to stay in the left third or so of the window for the most part to minimise the sun, but with only 30' lines I had to break out of that more than I would have liked.

Overall I think the concept works well enough. I'm glad I don't have to drop resolution to increas the frame rate since below 1080p this thing shifts its field of view from 127 degrees to 170 degrees which makes it look a bit like you're looking though a bubble. Great when you need the extra field of view, but if you don't need it then 1080p looks more natural.

#5 MercFlyer

MercFlyer

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:36 AM

The video looked cool, nice place you have to fly there. Your video came over my FB news feed from the Revolution Kites page, very nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users