Shockwave Handles

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Andy L

Andy L
  • Forum Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 03:50 AM

I was just wondering if it is a good or bad idea to use my rev EXP handles with my shockwave kite? I only ask because i noticed they were slightly different in length, and then I lost my shockwave handles! oops! Will the shockwave perform the same? Thanks for any advice given.

#2 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 04:41 AM

you can use either 8 or 13 inch handles with that kite 8 inch are better when the winds are high
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#3 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 01:00 PM

Go ahead and try it. using different handles won't damage the kite at all, but it will deffinately give you an Idea on how the different handles affect the kite. (I used Indoor handle on my 1.5 once. It didn't work very well, but I understood the design of the handles a lot better.)

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 03:36 PM

if you have the old exp handles they are 8 inch the newer exp handles are 13 so that should also answer you question as well
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#5 Andy L

Andy L
  • Forum Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 09:40 AM

My EXP handles are 13 inchs but shaped slightly different. Thanks for all the advice, I will give it a try soon.

#6 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 09:57 AM

Why the different shapes? I use my blast handles on my 1.5s in lite winds and the kite doesn't fall out of the sky. ;)

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#7 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:31 AM

The reason for the different handles is because the speed series flies so much faster and quicker than the 1.5 or the Rev 1. Flying the speed series on longer handles makes it a lot harder to control and much easier to over-control it. Shorter handles help tame the kite down and keep it in control.

Rev supplies each of their kites with what they have researched to be the best accessories for the average flier. Giving a Shockwave or Supersonic to a complete beginner is very tough, now throw in super long handles and it makes it even more difficult. An advanced pilot will probably be able to adjust their flying technique to adjust to the difference in handle lengths, a beginner will not even know how to do that and may become frustrated with the kite and give up (this usually happens right after shattering the leading edge). Just as an example, try flying your 1.5 on 3 inch handles..... You should already see the problem without even trying it. Just not enough throw to get the control, the kite probably wouldn't even turn. Super long handles can also cause a problem. In the hands of a beginner extra long handles will cause massive over-correction and over flying the kite (wing tip flip-overs) which will lead to frustration. In the hands of an experienced pilot extra long handles can be very nice, especially for flic-flacks, axles, and overall precision control.

In the world of Rev's, there isn't just one super wazoo setting that is the best of everything and will fit everyones flying styles. Thus the reason for different handles, different line lengths, different models, different spars, etc... The beauty of the Revolution kites is that Revolution acknowledges the different flying styles of their customers and makes customized options to fit those flying styles. I am sure that Rev would much rather sell everyone a standard, Vented, and SUL in each style of Rev, but instead they produce different spars just so you can customize your kite for your area/flying style. This doesn't mean that everyone in the world will need to do what you have done, it just means that with some simple additions, you can get the exact Rev you are looking. Different handles are just another way to customize your Rev to fit your style. Some may prefer longer or shorter handles, or the supplied ones will work perfectly for them and not even bother changing it at all.

Generally speaking, the speed series rev's fly better on shorter handles, the others fly better on longer handles. Again everyone is different and if you like to fly different than the general public then no problem! If it works for you, do it.

One of the most looked over areas of the Rev's is adjusting the kite to your own personal flying style. Don't be afraid to experiment with your Rev pigtails, handle lengths, line lengths, different spar combinations, etc... You may just find out that a little adjustment/change will make your favorite kite all that much bettah!!!

Hope that helps.

#8 tonycarl

tonycarl

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:30 PM

Do any of you young whippersnappers remember control line airplanes? They were gas powered model planes that you controlled using 2 60 ft. lines with a handle. Some of the handles were adjustable like this:control line handle

Maybe we could incorporate some of these adjustments for rev handles.

#9 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:13 PM

Do any of you young whippersnappers remember control line airplanes? They were gas powered model planes that you controlled using 2 60 ft. lines with a handle. Some of the handles were adjustable like this:control line handle

Maybe we could incorporate some of these adjustments for rev handles.

Crikey Tony ... that brings back some memories! I remember 'trying' to fly those back in the 70's at school in Hong Kong... was harder then of course as my hair kept getting in my eyes and it was difficult balancing on my 6" platform shoes...

For what its worth I started off hooking up my Shockwave or Supersonic on my standard B lines and handles at the end of a 'session' just for a little 'yahoo' time.... very 'do able' but both are much nicer to fly on the shorter handles so I am trying to get into the habit of changing them and are enjoying both kites a lot more... tried my 2.4 on the short handles the other night as well... wont be doing that again!

#10 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:02 PM

Yep I would concur with you about the shorter handles. I didn't realise how much difference the shorter handles made, and had been flying my supersonic on my super long SUL handles - bad idea!
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#11 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:10 PM

Young whippersnappers, I resemble that remark!!

Remember crashing my cousins control line plane LOADS of times.

He used to build them, I used to break them.

#12 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:39 PM

Young whippersnappers, I resemble that remark!!

Remember crashing my cousins control line plane LOADS of times.

He used to build them, I used to break them.

Yeah but Baloo... I'm not joking as a child of the 50's I really did have long hair and platforms.... never did get the hang of those control line planes though .... strangle parallel with my rev flying .. you would think I'd have got the hint by now!

#13 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:46 PM

Couldn't get into Tony's link before (Server maintenance). But now I have had a look, I can categorically say that I do not remember these things at all. Mind you, I am only 27....
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#14 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:01 AM

Couldn't get into Tony's link before (Server maintenance). But now I have had a look, I can categorically say that I do not remember these things at all. Mind you, I am only 27....

Picture flying a rev one handed, whilst standing on a fast spinning 'waltzer' fairground ride.... makes me dizzy just thinking abut it.. oh and using your calendar I'm only 18..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users