22 replies to this topic

#1 Exile

Exile

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:31 PM

Hail to all!! I'm new to the Forum, and in a way... New to Rev flying..... sorta.. I have a Back Tracker. Which I was never able to get to fly very well. It would fly fine for a few minutes, and the out of nowhere, it would just go nuts, and fall out of the sky. So that kite has pretty much just sat around for the last... almost 20 yrs?? Wow.. has it been that long?! I bought a Rev Supersonic Right before I got out of the Navy in '07. Because I was headed back to MT, and knew that I was really only going to have high wind conditions to fly it. They guy I bought the kite from said it was a good high wind kite.. Yeah.... It does ok, but not so much. Fun for pull and speed. But hard to manage when I have winds averaging 16-20mph, and gusting to the point I fear the kite will snap. In those winds, you can't really do much of anything but anything by way of tricks. Then I got into falconry, and got into a job that had me working a ton of hrs. So in between those two things, the Sonic never really got flown much either. I just ordered a B-1.5 Full-Vented in the hopes that I will have a little more fun with the kite with my area. To break it down. I have two Revs that never really got flown, and a third on the way that I'm hoping will break me out of the "dry" spell that I've been in for so many year

So the question I'm trying to get at here is: Is there something of a common consensus as to what the best urban/street kite set up would be? I have an aircraft hangar with plenty of space for indoor flying and there are times when I'm out and about when there is little or no wind, and it would be fun to just fly a kite right in town, as I have seen so many videos of you guys doing. I WANNA PLAY TOO!!!!! So whats the best set up?? Can I do it with a B-1.5?
KL# 881
RG# 558

#2 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:02 AM

A couple of questions there!!! First, Welcome to the "Darkside"!!! Indoor flying is best done with an Indoor Rev!! Really light weight and built for the indoor conditions, a little work to learn, but so much fun after you learn the basics!! For urban/street, I think most use a standard full sail "B" on shorter lines!! Haven't tried that myself except to test some lines, so I'm sure others will pipe up with their favorite setups!!
You aren't the first to have the Backtracker as a first experience with quads!!! But if you can fly it, you can fly any quad!!! IMHO!!!Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#3 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:56 AM

The short answer is yes. However, you said you ordered a full vented sail for your high wind conditions. If there is very low wind, that won't be so much fun. A full sail version may be in the works for your future.
Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
"We muster to fly at a moment's notice"

#4 Exile

Exile

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:56 PM

A couple of questions there!!! First, Welcome to the "Darkside"!!! Indoor flying is best done with an Indoor Rev!! Really light weight and built for the indoor conditions, a little work to learn, but so much fun after you learn the basics!! For urban/street, I think most use a standard full sail "B" on shorter lines!! Haven't tried that myself except to test some lines, so I'm sure others will pipe up with their favorite setups!!
You aren't the first to have the Backtracker as a first experience with quads!!! But if you can fly it, you can fly any quad!!! IMHO!!!Posted Image

Thank you!! Though, technically you can say I've been on the Darkside for some time. But thank you, it is nice to be welcomed. I can fly the Back Tracker to a degree... It'll fly just fine for a few min, then out of nowhere, it'll act like something came loose or came apart, goes slack and falls to the ground. When I golook at it, everything appears to be fine, reset, fly again for a few min, and the same thing happens all over again. My first actual Quad was the Quadrafoil however, and flies nothing like the Rev! LOL!

The short answer is yes. However, you said you ordered a full vented sail for your high wind conditions. If there is very low wind, that won't be so much fun. A full sail version may be in the works for your future.

I planned on getting a Standard Sail for the "B"1.5, and likely an Indoor somewhere down the line. Money comes VERY slowly these days. And with the amount of money they want for kites these days:w00t:... Almost have to save for a year before I can afford the next. :kid_cussing:So the reason I was wanting to know if there is a common consensus as to what the best set up is, is because I'll work towards that next.

So it could be done with a "B"1.5, but better to go with the full sized "B" and straight up indoor for doing any indoor work.. Ok.. What about lines, and spars?
KL# 881
RG# 558

#5 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:26 PM

So I could be done with a "B"1.5, but better to go with the full sized "B" and straight up indoor for doing any indoor work.. Ok.. What about lines, and spars?

I think you meant to write full sail not full sized (the 1.5 is a full size).

Don't skimp on line. You'll have more fun with a beat up used kite and good line than the other way around. Laser Pro Gold (LPG) is the standard and most common line being used on the dark side, although I have heard some good things recently about Shanti Skybond. As for spars, Rev makes a wide variety of rods that when used in different combinations can expand your wind range.
Scott A Koenig

#6 Exile

Exile

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:15 PM

I think you meant to write full sail not full sized (the 1.5 is a full size).

Don't skimp on line. You'll have more fun with a beat up used kite and good line than the other way around. Laser Pro Gold (LPG) is the standard and most common line being used on the dark side, although I have heard some good things recently about Shanti Skybond. As for spars, Rev makes a wide variety of rods that when used in different combinations can expand your wind range.

Um... ... Sure. As I understand the sizes, 2 is the smallest, 1.5 is the mid, and the 1 is the larger. So when I say Full Sized, I meaning the 1. And fore each size, there is a B-series version, which would be the B2 B1.5 and B. Then there was the B-Pro line.. So I'm not completely understanding the lingo yet I guess. Sorry. There are a lot of acronyms that I don't understand either. But I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually. There are a lot of varients that I don't' understand yet, and I guess I was misunderstanding the product line.

So your gonna have to help me understand things here a little.
KL# 881
RG# 558

#7 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:42 AM

I see where you are going now. The 1.5 size is by leaps and bounds the most common and versatile. When folks talk about a B without specifying a size they are invariably refering to a 1.5. The B pro is the exact same size and shape as the B 1.5 only made better as every pro is a custom kite sewn by Bazzer.

The B series Zen is the size of the Rev I, but is only a very low wind kite, and is not going to be snappy, which you may want.

So, when I said full sail B, I meant a B 1.5 with no venting. I'm not telling you which kite to get mind you. They all have their place.

I hope this helps rather than confuses
Scott A Koenig

#8 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:13 AM

If you look through the product listing on the home page, you should get a reasonable idea of what is available!!

The old Backtracker was very difficult!! Not much sail area to catch and hold any wind!! In fact, it's almost square, where any of the other Revs are much longer than high! Bigger sail gives more lift, tolerates the lulls a bit better!!! Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#9 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:05 AM

Hail to all!! I'm new to the Forum, and in a way... New to Rev flying..... sorta.. I have a Back Tracker. Which I was never able to get to fly very well. It would fly fine for a few minutes, and the out of nowhere, it would just go nuts, and fall out of the sky. So that kite has pretty much just sat around for the last... almost 20 yrs?? Wow.. has it been that long?! I bought a Rev Supersonic Right before I got out of the Navy in '07. Because I was headed back to MT, and knew that I was really only going to have high wind conditions to fly it. They guy I bought the kite from said it was a good high wind kite.. Yeah.... It does ok, but not so much. Fun for pull and speed. But hard to manage when I have winds averaging 16-20mph, and gusting to the point I fear the kite will snap. In those winds, you can't really do much of anything but anything by way of tricks. Then I got into falconry, and got into a job that had me working a ton of hrs. So in between those two things, the Sonic never really got flown much either. I just ordered a B-1.5 Full-Vented in the hopes that I will have a little more fun with the kite with my area. To break it down. I have two Revs that never really got flown, and a third on the way that I'm hoping will break me out of the "dry" spell that I've been in for so many year

So the question I'm trying to get at here is: Is there something of a common consensus as to what the best urban/street kite set up would be? I have an aircraft hangar with plenty of space for indoor flying and there are times when I'm out and about when there is little or no wind, and it would be fun to just fly a kite right in town, as I have seen so many videos of you guys doing. I WANNA PLAY TOO!!!!! So whats the best set up?? Can I do it with a B-1.5?

A full sail B-Series Pro is my preferred kite for street kiting. Here are a couple of videos on the streets with a B-Series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfMqL5rbHLE&feature=channel_video_title

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ijOA67zOVk

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#10 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:41 AM

Yep, I'm with Watty on this... B-Pro is #1 for street in my book.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#11 Exile

Exile

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:56 PM

Thank you Scott. That does clear things up a little. So the B-Pro, is a 1.5 just made by a specific person.
Ok. so the B-1.5 I have coming to me, as I understand it, is a full sail B. I just need to get a standard sail for it, and not a vented one for it. Ideally, if I could afford a Pro, that would be the better kite to use. Is that about right? I understand that low wind flying isn't going to be as snappy, or do you mean that the Zen but it's nature is not very snappy?

Thanks Watty! I've actually already watched a good number of your videos, as well as Johns. I see that you both use the dock. I hope that I get to fly with both of you one of these days.

So, ideal setup: Full B-Pro, LPG lines... 50# 25#? 30"?
But should should be able to at least play with it, with a standard B, correct?

Thanks for bearing with me guys. I sometimes have a hard time getting a grasp onto things that I can't actually see.
KL# 881
RG# 558

#12 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:09 PM

Thank you Scott. That does clear things up a little. So the B-Pro, is a 1.5 just made by a specific person.
Ok. so the B-1.5 I have coming to me, as I understand it, is a full sail B. I just need to get a standard sail for it, and not a vented one for it. Ideally, if I could afford a Pro, that would be the better kite to use. Is that about right? I understand that low wind flying isn't going to be as snappy, or do you mean that the Zen but it's nature is not very snappy?

Thanks Watty! I've actually already watched a good number of your videos, as well as Johns. I see that you both use the dock. I hope that I get to fly with both of you one of these days.

So, ideal setup: Full B-Pro, LPG lines... 50# 25#? 30"?
But should should be able to at least play with it, with a standard B, correct?

Thanks for bearing with me guys. I sometimes have a hard time getting a grasp onto things that I can't actually see.

When street kiting, I usually run 90# 30' lines. 50# lines work even better. A standard B will work for street kiting, and has worked well for me. However, there is a noticeable benefit with the B-Pro.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#13 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:11 PM

B-Series vs B-Series Pro discussion. ;)
http://www.revkites....s-b-series-pro/

As Watty said, the regular B will work (especially if you haven't felt the difference), but the Pro is far superior.

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#14 Exile

Exile

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:14 PM

thank you again John. Tis a Gentleman and a scholar, that you are..... And all them other dirty words! :lol:
KL# 881
RG# 558

#15 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:30 PM

Watch it with that gentleman stuff, you'll ruin my rep. :)

John Barresi

#16 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:47 PM

No Kidding!!! Posted Image

wayne from portland

AKA member

#17 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:01 PM

Ok, Exile, in your 1st post you said that you ordered a full vent "B"! To maximize your available wind range, you would want to get a "B" full sail too! There are 3 models of "B"s, full sail, midvent, and full vent! The same is available in the "B"pro line, along with the Zen and extra-vent!! Having the two sails gives you enough overlap to handle just about any wind!! That's where the different frames comes in, you can stiffen up a sail using a heavier frame or get more flex using a springier one!! The Indoor is a whole different animal altogether!! Hope this helps some!!!Posted Image

wayne from portland

AKA member

#18 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:10 AM

Two sails (STD and VTD) with three frames will allow you to fly in roughly 2-35 mph, given basic control (hover) and light wind techniques.

The other kites (Zen, Mid-Vent, Xtra Vent) are like having the right clubs for the job, they handle much better in their range, but aren't absolutely required.

I love each of them in their element though, no doubt about it. :)

John Barresi

#19 mbro

mbro

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:29 AM

Hey Exile, Welcome!! I too started with a BackTracker sooooo many years ago. Then about a year ago I was fortunate to get my hand on a SLE, been having a riot ever since and now I'm dying for a b-series but likewise $$$$ is tight. You'll find the larger size much easier to fly and contol so have fun and WELCOME.Posted Image
"But now, we are free. We are up; we are off..."

#20 Exile

Exile

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:53 PM

I think that I'm just going to have to actually talk with someone about this.. Someone that can show me what I'm looking at.. Trying to get a grasp on this by reading it.... just isn't working at the moment. I have an idea where to go, so thank you for that much.. I'll just have to get a consultation before I make the next purchase.

Watch it with that gentleman stuff, you'll ruin my rep. :)

Hens, the "All them other dirty words"
KL# 881
RG# 558

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users