Line Rejuvination

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Darkspark

Darkspark
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:47 AM

I wanted to pass on a trick I learned recently. I have been flying with the same line set since last fall, and they have alot of time on them. They were starting to get sticky, and would tighten up after getting 3 or 4 wraps in them. I use a spray wax on my cars that works great. It is basically a nano wax suspended in a water based solution.
Yesterday when I went out to fly, I sprayed my lines while they were still on the winder. Enough to soak them all the way through. Then I set up and flew them dry. Which only took a few minutes. The difference was night and day. They feel like a new set of lines again. I could put twice the number of twists into them before they would tighten up. I don't know yet how long the wax will stay on the lines, but I would be willing to bet it will stay on for a while. The wax is under $10 bucks. Cheap for how well it works. Here is the wax I used. Eagle One also makes a way I am sure would work the same. It is called "Nano Wax"---Mikey Devereaux
quick wax.jpg

142eww9.png180GO-100.png

#2 andelscott

andelscott

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:48 AM

Sounds good. I know of a couple of fliers who use Sewers' Aid - which is, I think, a silicone-based lubricant for threads - run down the lines using a cotton pad or non-abrasive cloth. Quilters and needlework shops may have some.
Andy

#3 John F

John F

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:15 AM

I wanted to pass on a trick I learned recently. I have been flying with the same line set since last fall, and they have alot of time on them. They were starting to get sticky, and would tighten up after getting 3 or 4 wraps in them. I use a spray wax on my cars that works great. It is basically a nano wax suspended in a water based solution.
Yesterday when I went out to fly, I sprayed my lines while they were still on the winder. Enough to soak them all the way through. Then I set up and flew them dry. Which only took a few minutes. The difference was night and day. They feel like a new set of lines again. I could put twice the number of twists into them before they would tighten up. I don't know yet how long the wax will stay on the lines, but I would be willing to bet it will stay on for a while. The wax is under $10 bucks. Cheap for how well it works. Here is the wax I used. Eagle One also makes a way I am sure would work the same. It is called "Nano Wax"---Mikey Devereaux
quick wax.jpg

My question on any spray or wax coating to renew your lines is does it build up and get sticky like bacon grease. Does it also pick up dirt and sand. I suspect that a good washing to really clean the lines would work better.

John

#4 Darkspark

Darkspark
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:29 PM

My question on any spray or wax coating to renew your lines is does it build up and get sticky like bacon grease. Does it also pick up dirt and sand. I suspect that a good washing to really clean the lines would work better.

John

I haven't had any problems like that. You can spray the wax right on your hand and it leaves no discernible residue. I have about 8 hours on the lines since I sprayed them and they are still way better than before the spray. My home field is grass, so I can't speak for the sand. But they feel no different than they did before. The lines are Laser Pro Golds. The wax is a "maintenance" wax. Used to keep up with the wax after using a paste wax. So it isn't a thick pasty wax. It really feels like water, just slightly thicker. I did give them a good rinse when I got back from Grand Haven to get the sand out. So they were fairly clean. Someone else needs to try it. To confirm my suspicions anyhow.
JB- if you read this you should try it on the lines you are running through your dog stake. You got some Nanowax with V1 didn't you? Use it and see if you feel a difference.

142eww9.png180GO-100.png

#5 David M

David M

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:41 PM

Hi guys,I've found that CRC Electrical Quality Silicone spray works well.Its waterproof and doesn't pick up dirt.Posted Image
David M.....Just a (slightly ) over aged guy playing with kites......and LOVIN' it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users