#21 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:19 AM

. . . . .
or SLE (choices get a bit more complicated around the SLE but don’t worry now, more on that later).
. . . . .

SLE stands for Super Leading Edge, a thicker, stiffer, 1/2 inch spar. The SLE kite, or rather range of kites that were sold with the thicker leading edge. The SLE rods have now largely fallen out of favour and when I last checked the SLE kites were being sold with a choice of either ¼ or 1/2 inch leading edges.
If you go the SLE route make sure you know which you are being offered before you buy.

I have already said that the thicker rods have now largely fallen out of favour, but that is no reason to totally rule them out, at least with out considering the pros and cons.

Pros – Stronger, Stiffer & Heavier. For Stronger read, virtually indestructible, not a bad characteristic for the kite of a novice who may be a bit susceptible to the odd crash. I did hear of somebody who has broken one but it may be just an urban myth. Stiffer will help in stronger wind, and Heavier will provide more inertia.

Cons – Stiffer & Heavier. For Stiffer read “much stiffer” there is virtually no flex in an SLE, no think about why you were thinking of a kite with venting, a little bit of flex gives you “Smooth”. Heavier, raises the bar at the bottom of the wind range.

On balance, I think the SLE takes it in the first two or three weeks but beyond that, well let’s just say I forget the last time I put a ½ inch leading edge in one of my kites.

I wish you luck with whatever choice you make, with Revs there’s no such thing as the wrong choice, just varying degrees of right.

One last nugget, see if you can meet up with an experienced Rev flier for your first outing. Dollars spent on gas save hours of frustration.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#22 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:55 PM

There are couple on UK ebay.

I'm not sure if they will be a viable purchase by the time you have re-imported them, especially as new they would have been about the same price in £s in the UK as $s in the US, but they may be worth a look.

Link

This is a suggestion not a recommendation, I have no connection with the sellers and I have not read the listings in detail.

Oh! but please note: The sticks go on the back. :)
Stone in Shoe Bob

#23 Elix

Elix
  • Forum Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:00 PM

There are couple on UK ebay.

I'm not sure if they will be a viable purchase by the time you have re-imported them, especially as new they would have been about the same price in £s in the UK as $s in the US, but they may be worth a look.

Link

This is a suggestion not a recommendation, I have no connection with the sellers and I have not read the listings in detail.

Oh! but please note: The sticks go on the back. :)

Thanks for the ebay UK idea Bob. And as for the sticks, I'm not quite that green :blue-cool:
Chris

#24 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:06 PM

Many are, it's a running joke.
Stone in Shoe Bob

#25 4sp

4sp
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:48 PM

I just got my first kite, a 1.5B standard. I am also inland, with the same wind problems. The first day I took the full sail out was right after a once-in-a-lifetime Massachusetts tornado, and a 30+ mph wind gust took out a vertical spar and end cap mid air. Fortunately that was all the damage. We went to the coast and the full sail was great. I do suspect that the vented kites are smoother (having never flown one), but I like the full sail.(I'm sure I will get a vented kite as soon as I can 'justify' it) We got 2x 1.5 standard kites, so I have a total of 2 3-wrap frames, 1 2-wrap, and 1 4-wrap frame, with the idea that we would be ready for any condition. One thing I have found is that less then 3 mph wind is impossible to do anything with! (With my limited experience of course)

You might want to check out Kite Connection, that have some custom Icarex 1.5 kites (same fabric as B series) and other custom colors (ie. black rainbow) (not to knock any of the other fine dealers!). Looking back, a standard 1.5 kite would have been just fine, and I wouldn't have to be so worried about 'stretching out the sail' of the primo B series kite by putting a 4-wrap frame in and flying in high winds. I really liked the color scheme I got in the 1.5B, that was the clincher (discontinued teal/black)

#26 Elix

Elix
  • Forum Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:46 PM

Many are, it's a running joke.

I guess so. The EXP currently on UK's eBay: sticks on the front. Maybe that's why the wife had trouble flying it. :P

I just got my first kite, a 1.5B standard. I am also inland, with the same wind problems. The first day I took the full sail out was right after a once-in-a-lifetime Massachusetts tornado, and a 30+ mph wind gust took out a vertical spar and end cap mid air. Fortunately that was all the damage. We went to the coast and the full sail was great. I do suspect that the vented kites are smoother (having never flown one), but I like the full sail.(I'm sure I will get a vented kite as soon as I can 'justify' it) We got 2x 1.5 standard kites, so I have a total of 2 3-wrap frames, 1 2-wrap, and 1 4-wrap frame, with the idea that we would be ready for any condition. One thing I have found is that less then 3 mph wind is impossible to do anything with! (With my limited experience of course)

You might want to check out Kite Connection, that have some custom Icarex 1.5 kites (same fabric as B series) and other custom colors (ie. black rainbow) (not to knock any of the other fine dealers!). Looking back, a standard 1.5 kite would have been just fine, and I wouldn't have to be so worried about 'stretching out the sail' of the primo B series kite by putting a 4-wrap frame in and flying in high winds. I really liked the color scheme I got in the 1.5B, that was the clincher (discontinued teal/black)

Thanks for the review 4sp. I'll be sure to never go chasing down a twister with my Revs. It's amazing what we'll do for a breeze, eh?

I have been oogling Kite Connection's Black Rainbow, it's pretty sharp... as is the Night Rev. In the end, it'll be about price for me this time. Once I can get the kids out of the house (20 years from now? *gulp*) I can collect whatever artwork I want. In the mean time I'll surely pick up a zen and/or a full vent something or other B)
Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users