Spar repair possible

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 prutsky

prutsky
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:06 AM

I got my new Baressi series vented last wednesday. No wind here so no flying. I replaced the 4 wrap frame with the 3 wrap "ultra light" one. Then I noticed one of the outer spars (of the 4-wrap) had a little crack in in (where is slides over the middle spar). It's less then an inch long. Is this spar still useable? As a vertical one? Is it repairable with a little wooden plug in it?
What shall I do with it? I contacted the US based shop where I bought it from, but no response yet :(
See attached picture for details...
brokenspar.jpg

#2 ilh

ilh

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:22 AM

I would think the shop and/or Rev would replace it for you.

My guess is it would probably be usable as a wing spar or at the outside edge of the leading edge. Don't use it over the center ferrules or it could easily split from the internal pressure.

#3 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:43 AM

I got my new Baressi series vented last wednesday. No wind here so no flying. I replaced the 4 wrap frame with the 3 wrap "ultra light" one. Then I noticed one of the outer spars (of the 4-wrap) had a little crack in in (where is slides over the middle spar). It's less then an inch long. Is this spar still useable? As a vertical one? Is it repairable with a little wooden plug in it?
What shall I do with it? I contacted the US based shop where I bought it from, but no response yet :(
brokenspar.jpg

These spars are a good deal more durable than you may think. If you cannot get a replacement then simply wrap some insulating tape around the end (about 2inches). You can still use it as the leading edge rod but it would have less pessure on it as a verticle with the damaged end at the bottom.

I would recommend getting a spare in any case. Use the new rod and keep this one as the spare. I have one like this that I have been using for a few years now without any problem and flying in team I put a lot of stress on the kite!

Stephen Hoath

<a href="http://www.baidesign.net" rel="nofollow">Bai Design</a>

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

#4 prutsky

prutsky
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:47 AM

I would think the shop and/or Rev would replace it for you.

I had no reply yet... I hope it too.

My guess is it would probably be usable as a wing spar or at the outside edge of the leading edge. Don't use it over the center ferrules or it could easily split from the internal pressure.

The crack will probably fit within one of the tubes, keeping it strong enough. So no reinforcing wooden plug in it?

#5 prutsky

prutsky
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:52 AM

You can still use it as the leading edge rod but it would have less pessure on it as a verticle with the damaged end at the bottom.

Stephen, how should I read this? It would have even less stress on it when I use it as a vertical rod with the damaged end at the bottom, then when I use is at the leading edge?

#6 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:57 AM

The Vertical rods have very little stress in them at all. On most kites they are the 3 wrap rods (ultra light). You should have no problem with the rod as a vertical. Also, if you use the rod as a leading edge rod then make sure the split end is on the outside (end cap) end of the leading edge, not in the center where the ferrule is at. Rev rods are super strong and can really take a beating. If you are not that worried about it then I would super glue the crack shut and use it as a vertical and not worry about it.

FYI in case anyone doesn't already know, the 1/4" leading edge rod and the vertical rod is the exact same length rod on the Baressi, EXP, 1.5 SLE, and REV 1.

#7 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:24 AM

The Vertical rods have very little stress in them at all. On most kites they are the 3 wrap rods (ultra light). You should have no problem with the rod as a vertical. Also, if you use the rod as a leading edge rod then make sure the split end is on the outside (end cap) end of the leading edge, not in the center where the ferrule is at. Rev rods are super strong and can really take a beating. If you are not that worried about it then I would super glue the crack shut and use it as a vertical and not worry about it.

FYI in case anyone doesn't already know, the 1/4" leading edge rod and the vertical rod is the exact same length rod on the Baressi, EXP, 1.5 SLE, and REV 1.

I question the SLE rod lengths as I have originals that came with REV 1.5 that have various lengths up to an inch in difference. As some of my SLE REVs date back to 1998, I have no idea which ones they arrived with.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#8 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:27 AM

brokenspar.jpg

The way I read this. The kite, a Barresi series, arrived with a flaw. I have never heard of Rev not standing behind the product. I think an Email to Ben/Lolly will fix his problem ASAP. This is a good company we are dealing with here, you shouldn't have to fix a brand new kite.
Of course after its all said and done, you can use all this great hints to make a serviceable spare.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#9 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:01 PM

So no reinforcing wooden plug in it?

If you were to do this, you should use one on both sides to keep the weight even. Other than that, i think a wooden plug would work fine.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#10 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:36 PM

use it as a down spar mark the side with the small crack and slide it into the top endcap on the downspar side of the lesding edge ive had small cracks in my rods too and the are holding up fine as long as you dont use it on the LE ferrels witch are the most stressed of the rods
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#11 prutsky

prutsky
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:37 PM

The way I read this. The kite, a Baressi series, arrived with a flaw. I have never heard of Rev not standing behind the product. I think an Email to Ben/Lolly will fix his problem ASAP. This is a good company we are dealing with here, you shouldn't have to fix a brand new kite.
Of course after its all said and done, you can use all this great hints to make a serviceable spare.

It was indeed "DOA" for one rod. I wait a bit more for a response from shop. Call me a newbie... but who are Ben/Lolly? :unsure:

#12 ilh

ilh

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:40 PM

Lolly answers inquiries to revkites@aol.com.

#13 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 05:32 PM

ben and lolly are the 2 best poeple to deal with as lolly runs the company and ben flies for them and i must say they are 2 of the best in the kiting world to know tham and for them to have us in their family is a high honer in itself ;)
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#14 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:02 PM

Ben and Lolly are great folks. I only ever buy my Revs from them. They will help you out with any problem you have.

Ben: beachbeach13 (at) yahoo (dot) com
Lolly: revkites (at) aol (dot) com

Spence "Watty" Watson

#15 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 03:49 AM

Stephen, how should I read this? It would have even less stress on it when I use it as a vertical rod with the damaged end at the bottom, then when I use is at the leading edge?

Yes absolutely. Sorry I wasn't clear. If you are going to use it as the verticle then you can put a small plug (6mm carbon) in the end, say about 1 inch long. If you do this and you are an absolute purist then do the same on the other side. You are very unlikely to notice any difference in flight.

Hope this helps

Stephen Hoath

<a href="http://www.baidesign.net" rel="nofollow">Bai Design</a>

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

#16 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 03:37 PM

Ben and Lolly are great folks. I only ever buy my Revs from them. They will help you out with any problem you have.

Ben: beachbeach13 (at) yahoo (dot) com
Lolly: revkites (at) aol (dot) com

OOPS! I didn't know you aren't supposed to put e-mail addresses! Sorry person who edited this!

Spence "Watty" Watson

#17 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 04:29 PM

I found such a split in a spar several years ago. I mixed up enough epoxy to fill an inch of the spar. Put the epoxy inside the spar, then stood the spar upright, repaired end down until the epoxy hardened. You can use it anywhere on the kite. Use the undamaged end over the ferrell in the leading edge if you wish. The little bit of epoxy makes no difference on the performance of the kite.

Jim ;)
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#18 ilh

ilh

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:24 PM

OOPS! I didn't know you aren't supposed to put e-mail addresses! Sorry person who edited this!

It is a complete myth that email harvesters are fooled by such email address hiding. Give it up. It does not work.

#19 prutsky

prutsky
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 10:55 PM

Well the shop replied, and will provide me with a new spar. Hopefully I'll get it soon :mellow:

#20 prutsky

prutsky
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 06:03 AM

The shop replied, but never send any replacement spars :(
How much do these spars costs?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users