#41 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:59 PM

I've never actually flown anywhere along the river or in the gorge :(

I've heard people mention Frenchman's Bar in Vancouver before, but have never there. Is that a workable alternative John?

Cameron

Frenchman's bar is a nice place, but it is small, and they charge an entrance fee in the summer. There is a double soccer field up by the WSU campus in northern Vancouver that I've considered flying in many times. Only thing is that I don't know how the school would feel about having a bunch of kiteflyers show up, particularly when none are students...

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#42 Exile

Exile

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:03 PM

has anyone ever been out to Rooster Rock Park?? can't quite tell if it would be any good from Google Maps.

All the other parks that look like they MAY be open enough, I still think aren't going to have good air.
KL# 881
RG# 558

#43 chuckrev

chuckrev
  • Forum Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:12 PM

I was wondering about school fields also. I sometimes fly at Forest Grove HS, where there are some enormous fields and great exposure to the N, NE and NW. I have always found space. But for a gathering of 12 people, we should probably ask ahead of time.

Often I fly at the Washington County FG, by the Hillsboro airport. The winds are pretty clear from the S, SW, SE and E, but a little dicey from the other directions. However, the 23/24 is the weekend before the county fair, and it appears there will be some setup activities going on. I'll check with the Fairgrounds office on Tuesday to see whether there will be a big crowd on the 23/24. One great aspect of the Washington County Fairgrounds is the MAX stop about 200 yards away from the field.

I've tried other schools (Glencoe, Hilhi, Liberty) but most of them have too many surrounding structures and trees, or they would be too small to accommodate this group.

#44 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:25 PM

I'll check on a school field that is designed for soccer, football, and lacrosse, to see if there is any other uses on that weekend!! Got good sight lines north, south, and west, east is a little iffy with the school in the way!! There are 4 ball fields near by, so parking may be a little tight!! Have to find out if a tournament is scheduled that weekend, too! Sometimes they use that field to warm up in!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#45 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:27 PM

Their sched says its a major event. I called and listened to their computer. There won't be anyone in the officer till Tuesday to find out for sure, but if all their major events run about the same, the gates to the raceway will open at 8am.

NASCAR! Geezzz.....

So if there's a NASCAR event going on, don't even bother to call about the field.
We know them, and they know us,
and yes it is a 'designated kite field' but it is on Port of Portland property and the
Race track has Priority to the field. :(

I don't know the area well enough to suggest other locations, but the gorge typically always has wind. If there is a place we can fly that is.

We have never found any good convienent access to any beach area wide enough or large enough for a group of flyers along the gorge.

Cameron mentioned Frenchman's Bar, and it's about as good as it gets for flying on the Columbia. Beautiful park! But like Watty said, there is a fee, and any more than 4 or 5 flyers and it's tight. Plus there will be the picnic bunch scattered around.

T

October 2010 026.jpg Frenchman's Bar October 2010 Scotty giving a lesson

#46 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:30 PM

Frenchman's bar is a nice place, but it is small, and they charge an entrance fee in the summer. There is a double soccer field up by the WSU campus in northern Vancouver that I've considered flying in many times. Only thing is that I don't know how the school would feel about having a bunch of kiteflyers show up, particularly when none are students...

Maybe could you check with the school before you go to Singapore?

#47 Major Hostility

Major Hostility
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 05:14 PM

Thanks for the feedback on Frenchman's Bar. The last time I tried to find it I got lost (no GPS) so I wasn't sure what it looked like.

Is the Delta Park "east" area off limits for kite flying? Are the soccer fields in use most of the time?

Cameron

#48 MercFlyer

MercFlyer

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:37 PM

Count me:) in for the 24th if you find a space with enough room. I could definitely use some instruction:excl::P.

#49 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:46 PM

The gorge wind tends to be too strong and gusty for good flying... Great for kite surf though.

As others have said, Frenchman's Bar is a little odd-shaped, and can't support more than 3-4 fliers in close quarters.

East (main) Delta Park will be overrun by soccer folks, and there'd be conflict over the space... They'd win, given the fact they're marked fields.

I was thinking about one of the sports complexes just outside of Portland, but I fear we'd encounter similar conflict over space.

==

There's also Broughton Beach...

Screen shot 2011-07-02 at 10.43.34 PM.png

I think it'd take 5-6 fliers at any given time... The sand has some silt content though, and a north wind is greatly preferred.

Parking is slightly limited as well.

The airport used to check on us now and then, but never told us to stop... Could be more strict now, I have no idea.

==

SV, I'll be curious to hear what you find out about your local sports complex. :innocent:

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#50 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:19 AM

I'll be checking on it right after the holiday is over!! Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#51 windpoacher

windpoacher

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 06:23 PM

ALL IS GOOD!!! Hope for the best!!!!!!!!!

Hakuna Matada!!!!!!!!Posted Image

we got 3 weeks, it'll pan out !!
..........................W I N D P O A C H E R..........................
...........................thank god for wind..........................
............................thank him often..........................

#52 windpoacher

windpoacher

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:46 PM

ALL IS GOOD!!! Hope for the best!!!!!!!!!

Hakuna Matada!!!!!!!!Posted Image

we got 3 weeks, it'll pan out !!

Right!!..???

Who has got a good word,......... on a location?

Wayne?
anybody?

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image ...........Posted Image .........
..........................W I N D P O A C H E R..........................
...........................thank god for wind..........................
............................thank him often..........................

#53 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:14 PM

Right!!..???

Who has got a good word,......... on a location?

Wayne?
anybody?

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image ...........Posted Image .........

Checking things out!! Got to do it in the right order!! Posted Image

wayne from portland

AKA member

#54 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:19 PM

Fingers crossed!

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#55 chuckrev

chuckrev
  • Forum Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:32 PM

The field at the Washington County Fairgrounds is available. I called them today, and they confirmed that the weekend of the 23/24 is preliminary setup for the county fair, and the flying field will not be needed for parking.

If we wanted to reserve the field, then there would be a charge and questions about insurance, etc., but so long as we just show up and use the field, we will be fine. Sometimes other people show up to walk their dogs or throw frisbees, but they have always been courteous. If we gradually just take over the field, we'll be fine.

If you are not familiar with the location, go to Google Earth and check it out. It's on the south side of Cornell and the west side of NE 34th. On Google Earth the picture shows some structures (tents and vendor stands?) but the field is actually empty.

Also note that the Max stop is just to the south of the field (about 200 yards?).

Would this work for the rest of you?

Now, how to plan the wind?

#56 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:57 PM

Just in case, I'll ask about the field!! People will be around tomorrow that need to be asked!!Posted Image The fairgrounds would work for me, at least for one of the days!!

wayne from portland

AKA member

#57 Exile

Exile

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:16 AM

There is a HUGE field up by Kelley Point Park. Would have to get permission to use it, but if we can manage that, I think it would be a Perfect location. It has a ring of rail road track around it, just south of the park.

I got a hold of Columbia Grain, that I've been told owns that property off of N. Lombard, just south of the park. The person that I needed to talk to though wont be back in till Monday. They are supposed to call me back then.
KL# 881
RG# 558

#58 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:53 PM

Just in case, I'll ask about the field!! People will be around tomorrow that need to be asked!!Posted Image The fairgrounds would work for me, at least for one of the days!!

Sorry, misinformation!! The person I need to call should be in tomorrow!! Will call in the morning!!Posted Image

wayne from portland

AKA member

#59 Exile

Exile

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:45 AM

There is a HUGE field up by Kelley Point Park. Would have to get permission to use it, but if we can manage that, I think it would be a Perfect location. It has a ring of rail road track around it, just south of the park.

I got a hold of Columbia Grain, that I've been told owns that property off of N. Lombard, just south of the park. The person that I needed to talk to though wont be back in till Monday. They are supposed to call me back then.

Bad news, Columbia Grain said that we can't let us use their field, even if they wanted to. I guess it is in a secure area, with access to commecial peirs, and access is not autorized. Sorry guyes.
KL# 881
RG# 558

#60 chuckrev

chuckrev
  • Forum Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:11 AM

Thanks for checking out the Columbia field. I have found the same result whenever asking about land owned by businesses. They usually say no categorically, based on insurance concerns. But it never hurts to check.

I am willing to go anywhere reasonable for the clinic. But since no one has found a better spot yet, I'll keep selling the Washington County Fairgrounds. I used the ruler on Google Earth to learn that the field is about the same area as the Delta West field (about 6 acres). It does have a couple of trees, but they are easy to avoid. (They have been trained not to chase kites!) Now if we could only order the wind from yesterday to show up for the clinic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users