Vented Rev With Race Rods

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 xC4RB0NxR3104Dx

xC4RB0NxR3104Dx
  • Forum Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:55 PM

I noticed that on this forum, a lot of people mention vented revs, but with race rods. Maybe it's because I'm new to this, but this makes no sense to me. Vented revs are obviously made for high wind conditions, so why would you take a vented rev, and put the lightest rod set you could in it. Does it create a unique and fun flying experience, or is it just an opinion thing. If you did have a setup like that, what kind of winds would you fly it in???

I was just hoping someone could explain this to me, because in the kitelife poll, the crowd favorite seems to Be a Vented B-series with racerods, and this honestly makes little sense to mePosted Image
KIRBY SHUFFLE!!!
^('.')^ (>'.')> <('.')> <('.'<) ^('.')^

#2 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:38 PM

OK, lots of people like venteds for the smoothness! The vents even out the bumps and other stuff! The race rods lower the wind range of the venteds by lightening them up!! That means you can fly vents in lighter winds and take advantage of the smoothness vents offer!! Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#3 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:27 AM

Loosely speaking, vented Revs are smoother and more precise (although they have less "snap" in the controls)...

Using a UL frame lowers the wind range of the vented kite so you can enjoy it's characteristics in lighter winds.

A vented 1.5 with Race frame is good in roughly 5 mph up to about 12-14 mph, give or take.

The key is to watch the curve in the leading edge... If it curves too much, then it's time to switch to a heavier frame. :)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#4 xC4RB0NxR3104Dx

xC4RB0NxR3104Dx
  • Forum Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:12 PM

Thx, that tells me exactly what I wanted to know. Maybe I'll try it if I'm ever crazy enough to buy a 2nd rev :P
KIRBY SHUFFLE!!!

#5 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:55 PM

Mmmmmmmmmmmm vented with race rods, on 120's luv it.

#6 JasonOsteo

JasonOsteo

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:45 AM

Thx, that tells me exactly what I wanted to know. Maybe I'll try it if I'm ever crazy enough to buy a 2nd rev :P

Oh, you will. If you have a full sail and you start flying with others it won't be long. Then, after the full vent, a mid vent will be on the cards to carry that vented smoothness into a lower wind range.

People are like Slinkys. Basically useless but fun to watch falling down stairs.

#7 xC4RB0NxR3104Dx

xC4RB0NxR3104Dx
  • Forum Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:03 AM

Oh, you will. If you have a full sail and you start flying with others it won't be long. Then, after the full vent, a mid vent will be on the cards to carry that vented smoothness into a lower wind range.

That was another question I meant to ask, when most people say "vented rev with racerods" are they talking about full or midvent.

And I doubt I'm getting a 2nd kite anytime soon, because my family went kiting w/o me and managed to lose my lines and handles. So I need to replace those before I can fly again.

Something slightly off-topic, I was thinking about replacing my line with shanti skybond (I under stand Kent from a wind of change loves it) Is this a mistake, or will I really not notice a difference other than $15, or is this just a complete and total mistake.
KIRBY SHUFFLE!!!

#8 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:56 AM

That was another question I meant to ask, when most people say "vented rev with racerods" are they talking about full or midvent.

And I doubt I'm getting a 2nd kite anytime soon, because my family went kiting w/o me and managed to lose my lines and handles. So I need to replace those before I can fly again.

Something slightly off-topic, I was thinking about replacing my line with shanti skybond (I under stand Kent from a wind of change loves it) Is this a mistake, or will I really not notice a difference other than $15, or is this just a complete and total mistake.

When someone says 'vented with race rods' they are referring to a full vent. This is mainly because the 'vented with race rods' thing was around before the mid-vent was created, so it sticks that way. ;)

Sorry to hear about the lost lines and such. Skybond will work, but it's not my preferred line. The skybond line reminds me of a rubber band. It stretches a lot more than LPG does, and I notice this when flying because it feels kind of like the difference between a BMX bike and a mountain bike. The skybond is like the mountain bike because it has a lot more suspension, and cushions everything a bit. LPG is like the BMX bike where it may not be as smooth, but the control is a bit better. I feel like skybond dampens and absorbs the flyer's inputs, making it harder to fly with fast sharp corners and things like that. So, Skybond is not something I would buy, but it will work fine for someone who is starting out, or has more of a soft flying style and may prefer the absorbency of it.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#9 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:01 AM

Further to Watty's answer. Don't even think about mid-vent until you have the full vent sorted. Right now your priority should be about extending your wind range and there is enough overlap between full sail and full vent to put the mid-vent into the "nice but not essential" category, you will get way more bangs for your buck with a full vent.

I'm not saying don't buy a mid vent, I am just saying not yet.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#10 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:11 AM

I disagree completely on the assessment of Skybond lines above, no more stretch than anything else I've ever tried and I'm a yank & spank flailer by preference. The fifty pound strength is flexible, soft. mushy, but so is LPG in this weight class. No difference in the 90/100 weight except skybond is more slippery with multiple wraps.

I don't recommend anyone pick their lines solely based upon the price though! Test independently and determine your own preferences (unless you're sponsored,.... HA!) Not for an hour or a weekend either, but over the course of several months.

#11 JasonOsteo

JasonOsteo

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:35 PM

Also, if you fly with a group regularly, try and match lines with them. Different makes can wear each other to a greater/lesser extent.
People are like Slinkys. Basically useless but fun to watch falling down stairs.

#12 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:58 PM

Even Better, Mid-Vent with Silver Bullets in 1-3 mph its heaven on a string :kid_smartass:

251365_1412691572944_1702194716_674797_6668453_n.jpg
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#13 dazlarsen

dazlarsen

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:57 PM

Today's equipment
B Series Mid vent
Race rods
120's
Posted Image
All the best

Daz

#14 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:50 AM

Today's equipment
B Series Mid vent
Race rods
120's
Posted Image

Daz - What wind speeds were you flying in?? Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#15 dazlarsen

dazlarsen

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:15 PM

It was around 8mph with gusts to around 13 or 14.But what you can't see is the huge building to the left of the kite and the 100ft trees to the right.It's a one wind flying area and yesterday I had that wind,first time for months :-)
All the best

Daz

#16 xC4RB0NxR3104Dx

xC4RB0NxR3104Dx
  • Forum Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:20 PM

Even Better, Mid-Vent with Silver Bullets in 1-3 mph its heaven on a string :kid_smartass:

251365_1412691572944_1702194716_674797_6668453_n.jpg

"Silver Bullets"?????? lol, can any1 explain? My guess would be the 2g weights that came with the b-series
KIRBY SHUFFLE!!!

#17 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:05 AM

Reference - http://www.revkites....r-bullets-rods/

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#18 xC4RB0NxR3104Dx

xC4RB0NxR3104Dx
  • Forum Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:10 AM

Reference - http://www.revkites....r-bullets-rods/

Thanks for the reference ;)
KIRBY SHUFFLE!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users