• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 xC4RB0NxR3104Dx

xC4RB0NxR3104Dx
  • Forum Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:36 PM

Hi Carbon Reload (decoded for fun)

I'm a newbie around here, so maybe others can back me up: kite flying near a thunderstorm sounds a little risky. Glad nature didn't go all Ben Franklin on you! :kid_smartass:

Congrats on the new Rev! Good luck with her.

congratz on the leetspeek skillz there! Now try this one xD (note: if u can read this, it is relevant) 1 |)1|)/\/7 3\/3/\/ |{/\/0\/\/ 71-13|23 \/\/45 601/\/6 70 83 4 7|-||_|/\/|)3|2570|2/\/\, 17 \/\/45 4 |*3|2|=3(71\| (134|2 |)4\| 0/\/ 731-1 8341-1.

becuz i'm pretty sure no1 can read that, i'll just rephrase it in English: it was just a nice day on the beach, the thunderstorm literally came out of nowhere as we were driving home no more than 15 minutes after we packed up.

just so this post isn't a waste, I've been seeing talk about no-snag handles. From what i understand u can either buy them or mod them yourself. Are they a noticeable improvement, or just another nicety that may not make much difference? Also, if they are worth the trouble are you better off buying a pair, or modding an existing set?
KIRBY SHUFFLE!!!
^('.')^ (>'.')> <('.')> <('.'<) ^('.')^

#22 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 08:18 AM

Modded 4 pairs myself for around $5.00!!! Drywall anchors and screws, beats the $45-50 bucks a pair you'll pay!! But the no-snags are very nice, but if you're on any type of budget, then modding them yourself is very cheap, pretty easy, and eliminates any snag points!! Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#23 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:57 AM

No snag handles are nice but the definitely fall into the “Nice but not essential” category especially for a newbie on a tight budget. They do help to reduce snagging as there are no triangular clips, the leaders are connected directly to the handles. There are two people that I know that make them one in the US and one here in the UK. I believe the both of them use solid aluminium rod as opposed to tubular steel, mine are anodised purple. I love ‘em but if I’m honest they are Kite Bling.

I modded my first pair of handles before the aluminium no snags were available but ended up having to refit the clips to the tops of the handles. The mod effectively lengthens the handles by about ¼ inch at each end which isn’t a problem in it’s self but the extra ¼ inch of handle above the bend messed with my grip. Snagging is only really a problem at the bottom of the handles anyway as you thumb rests against the back of the top clips.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#24 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:26 AM

See here.
http://www.vimeo.com/7746634
I think Watty has since done an updated version on Youtube but I'm sorry I can't find that one.
Stone in Shoe Bob

#25 xC4RB0NxR3104Dx

xC4RB0NxR3104Dx
  • Forum Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:25 AM

See here.
I think Watty has since done an updated version on Youtube but I'm sorry I can't find that one.

Thank you for the link :D

Although, I plan to get some experience experience on the standard handles b4 i go messing with anything, how can i tell if it I like it, or not, if I have no comparison ;)
KIRBY SHUFFLE!!!

#26 John Dvoracek

John Dvoracek
  • Forum Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:59 AM

See here.

So cool! Why didn't I think of that? Thank you!

What's in your bag?

kite-sig.jpg

#27 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:08 AM

Thank you for the link :D

Although, I plan to get some experience experience on the standard handles b4 i go messing with anything, how can i tell if it I like it, or not, if I have no comparison ;)

My recommendation here:
If you plan on learning all the tricks the Rev can do, get some no-snag handles in one form or another.
As a new Rev pilot myself, I was working on my gliding and float technique, I kept wrapping the bottom line around the handle - sometimes because the hog clip would flip backwards, sometimes the line would just catch on the rubber cap enough. It's actually the reason I first came to this forum!

If you plan on modifying your handles for no-snag, I'd recommend you not wait. Here's the reason: Stone in Shoe Bob's method does change your grip, even if it's slightly... So, if you're new to flying the Rev, you won't notice this change so much, if at all, if you make these modifications now. Modding for no-snag will not impede your progress as a new pilot in any way, and does not change the way you perform any trick. Plus, who doesn't love a good DIY project? ;)
Concerning removing hog clips for DIY mods- Its a pain!! :kid_cussing: Unfortunately, I never found a thread that covered it. These clips are quite strong, and while trying to spread them apart, I swore I was going to crack the tube a couple of times.... But didn't. I found that if you can get one side free, you can twist the clip so the points that go into the tube don't line up any more, which will allow you to pull the point stuck in the tube free.

I know, tough to picture maybe..... I didn' take pics or vid when I did mine.
I'll be making these mods to all my handles from now on. I'm glad I made them before I became too familiar with a particular grip ;)

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#28 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:30 AM

I used a pair of needle nose pliers and when I bent the clip open, made sure to open it wide for clearing the tube!! If you open it wide, you stand a better chance of not gouging up the rubber cap! If you don't, well damage can happen!! Just be very careful when you take off the rubber cap, there are some serious burrs in the tube caused by making the holes for the clips!! These can be filed off easily, but if you're not careful as you remove the caps......... ouch!!!Posted Image
I'm in the do it as soon as you can camp!!! Makes the handles a bit longer, but not a lot!! The sooner you do it, the less you notice any difference!! Then you'll get used to them that way!! Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#29 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:43 AM

If you have a pair of VERY strong needle-nose pliers, try putting the tips into the "elbows" (where they bend to go into the handle) of the hog rings and pull on the plier handles to spread the tips. This will probably break a weaker pair of pliers.

Another way (which spoils the hog rings for later use) is to put the central bend of the hog ring (removing the pigtail first) into the jaws of a pair of strong pliers and squeezing, to straighten out that bend. This will withdraw the points of the pliers from the end of the tubing and end-caps. It will also put scratch marks on the hog ring, which will make it useless as a kiteline holder - it would just cut right through the line in a short time. Frankly, if you are going to wreck the hog rings this way, you might as well cut them off. At least you won't distort the ends of the handles that way. Hog rings are cheap: about $5/100 or $20/1000 for galvanized or copper-plated steel. If I needed new hog rings, I think I would bend them up from Stainless Steel welding rod. You get your choice of ring size AND wire size that way, and you can even choose the SS alloy. (I recommend 316 or 316L.)
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#30 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:07 AM

--Pete - I did use a pretty stout pair, but they opened that ring ok!! Just gotta open it wide enough, otherwise you will scar the rubber cap that you will put back on!! Other wise, pretty easy to do, takes less than a 1/2 hr per pair, if you got everything ready to go!! Posted Image

wayne from portland

AKA member

#31 xC4RB0NxR3104Dx

xC4RB0NxR3104Dx
  • Forum Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:04 PM

I'm usually not too big on the whole DIY thing. The only time i mess with my stuff is when it comes to computers, because I love building, modifying, and upgrading them. But the handle mod seems deceptively simple, which means something will most likely go wrong for me if I try it xD. But I have some thinking to do since you guys all seemed to have done it.
KIRBY SHUFFLE!!!

#32 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:25 PM

No, I think you were right earlier, wait and see if you need to. Most folks don't have a problem with the std setup. I will reiterate what I said about not removing the top clips, I know others have said that if you remove them early you won’t notice the extra length above the bend, but you may find it difficult if you eventually decide to go for aluminium no snags.

My best advice is “if it ‘aint bust don’t fix it”.
Stone in Shoe Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users