EXP vs SLE vs ???

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 xC4RB0NxR3104Dx

xC4RB0NxR3104Dx
  • Forum Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:50 PM

I've always flown 2 line stunt kites, and the thing that I've always enjoyed most was the ballet aspect of it (particularly in tandem with musical performance.) After going to my local kite festival and witnessing all of the ballet entries, I noticed that a good majority of the pilots were using rev kites. After seeing 3 or 4 amazing performances, I knew I needed to make the switch :D.

Anyways, I've never owned a rev b4, so I'm at a toss up on where to start. I'm a 16 year old on a minimum wage salary, so price is sort of an object, which means no B-series for me :(. So, the obvious first choice that comes up immediately is the EXP. it seems to be good for the price, but it's designed for beginners. That being said, I don't want to go out and buy one, and then find out it won't take me into intermediate and expert levels of flying due to their design choice and target audience. So can someone tell me if that's a viable fear? Can I really outgrow the EXP????? I really don't want to have to purchase a 2nd kite after the EXP.

That brings me to my second point. The step up form the EXP to me it seems is the SLE????? So would I be better off buying an SLE and being done, or will the EXP serve me fine, despite my estranged panic. I guess thirdly If the SLE is a bad decison for whatever reason, what shud I get in place of the SLE.

I live near a beach, so I don't need to worry about ultra-light or any of that.

To sum it all up:
1. Is it possible that I will outgrow the EXP, and regret purchasing it?
2. Is the SLE a smart step-up form the EXP, or is there another kite that is a better step that will serve me well?
3. I'm only buying one, and price is an object. It will be my entire kiting career, so the choice needs to be a smart one

Thank u if you've read the whole thing (i know I ramble.....) I appreciate any advice given, or any knowledge you have to offer.
KIRBY SHUFFLE!!!
^('.')^ (>'.')> <('.')> <('.'<) ^('.')^

#2 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:26 PM

I see you live in the Jersey area, maybe you can hook up with some of the Jersey crew! I'm sure they can help, maybe fly before you buy!! Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#3 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:31 PM

If you are on a budget, I would highly recommend the EXP. This is a great kite and it can do everything that the B-series can do -- the B-series just does it a bit smoother. Most of the people here could fly the EXP with no issues at all and only stick to their B-series or Pro's because of want instead of need. Meaning do you really need a full set of B-Pro's?? Well, not really but man are they nice!!! The EXP will do you just fine.

One of the nice things about purchasing the EXP as your first kite is that as you learn it will be easier to justify the extra abuse you are going to give this kite because it is an EXP and not an ultra expensive model. The upside is that if you do eventually decide to move up to one of the more expensive models, you can purchase a Kite Only option which will save you a ton because you will already have the EXP lines and handles.

Obviously, if you can afford to get the B-series then you won't regret it. But if your current finances won't allow you to do so, the 1.5 SLE or the EXP is a perfectly fine choice and you won't regret it.

After 13-14 years of Rev's, I still have my very first EXP in the bag and it still does get used from time to time. I do prefer the B's but don't mind putting the ol' EXP up and flying it around too.

#4 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:05 PM

Sounds like you've got Rev fever!

After reading your concerns, I'd say get the SLE. Here's why:

1. SLE comes with 2 frames = flies in more wind conditions. If possible, buy your SLE from a shop like A Wind of Change that will allow you to swap the SLE frame for the 1/4". The first Rev I ever tried had an SLE frame, and in my opinion it was is just too stiff for my normal wind conditions. If you buy an EXP, and add a second frame, you are 30 bucks short of buying an SLE.

2. SLE comes with better quality line. Much better, in my opinion.

Any other reasons would be for cosmetics, as the SLE has more choices. Also, if you look to pick up a vented Rev in the future, the SLE is the first series that offers venting, so you could potentially match it to your full-sail (or vice-versa).

Otherwise, the EXP will do it all! Really, you have a tough choice ahead of you!If you do decide on the EXP, please have a look at the special edition EXP mentioned in this topic: http://www.revkites....__1

Welcome to the Darkside ;)

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#5 mbro

mbro

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:57 PM

I've got an SLE with 1/4" frame, I love itPosted Image Would I like a B series,you bet, but... like you moneys tight. I would say go for SLE and pay a little Xtra and get 2 frames,SLE & 1/4. Once you get on to it you won't be sorry!!!

Welcome to the Darkside
Michael

"But now, we are free. We are up; we are off..."

#6 randude

randude
  • Forum Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:37 PM

I had the same decision to make about 7 months ago. After spending a fair amount of time on this forum, I decided to go with a B series rather than the EXP or SLE. The initial cost was a bit shocking, but I do think the B series package is a great value. I believe that the sails on the EXP and SLE are rip stop nylon, where the B series is Icarex polyester. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Also the B series comes with 2 complete frames, where the SLE just has 1 complete frame and 2 leading edges. Anyway, I think they are all good kites, and you will have a great deal of fun with the kite you choose. I do doubt you would ever "grow" out of a B series, where you might be urning for one if you purchased the EXP or SLE. I was also impressed with the B series durability, with all my flailing I have not thrashed it yet. It is still as good as new. It's just an awesome kite. Keep working, saving, thinking of other legal ways to accumulate cash, and take that "I will only buy one kite" thought one day at a time, as visions of additional kites tend to creep into your mind.

Good luck and welcome to the club.

#7 Jynx

Jynx

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Location:West Allis (Milwaukee) WI ...and... New Smyrna Beach FL winters

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:56 AM

IMHO...

Save yourself a second buy and get a 1.5 right way!

Talking to many other Rev'ers... Seems most everyone winds-up buying a 1.5, at some time, and the EXP seems to hide in their bag!

As far as which 1.5 to buy... that's where budget comes into play.

Good luck and Welcome to the Dark-Side!

"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power,

then there will be peace"

Jimi Hendrix

Posted Image

#8 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:03 AM

Just for clarification, all new model Rev's come with the same quality line. All Rev's are factory packaged with 100% Laser Pro Gold spectra linesets. The EXP has the exact same lineset as the 1.5's.

As a note on line, authorized Revolution dealers have the option of ordering Revolution kites with or without linesets. If the kites are ordered without linesets, the dealer has the option to add whatever linesets they want to. Most reputable dealers will include either Shanti or Laser Pro Gold linesets but some questionable dealers could supply cheaper dyneema or sport grade lines so they can make higher margins on the sale.

When ordering your Rev complete, it may be a good idea to check with your dealer to make sure the lines they are supplying are indeed quality lines such as Shanti or Laser Pro Gold.

Our shop, A Wind Of Change, orders all of our complete packages directly from Revolution with the factory included linesets, meaning that all our packages do have Laser Pro Gold lines in them. The only exception is the B-Series packages which are not available with linesets. For the B-Series, we offer pre-made linesets from Shanti and will supply LPG line if requested.

#9 xC4RB0NxR3104Dx

xC4RB0NxR3104Dx
  • Forum Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:53 AM

new development, upon conducting more research, I've discovered that the price difference between the SLE and B is only $22........ SO is there a purpose to buying the SLE if the B will only cost me a half a day of work more.

Also, noob question. What exactly is a frame in terms of a rev kite, what is it's function on the kite, and how big of an impact do they have on the kite. remember, I'm used to 2 line so the only kite jargon I need is spars, leading edge, and bridle Posted Image Both the SLE and Baressi come with 2 frames, so r these different???
KIRBY SHUFFLE!!!

#10 nckiter

nckiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:31 PM

Frames are your "spars". On the revs you have a 3 pc. LE (leading edge) and 2 verticals for a total of 5 frame pc.s

The difference between the frames are going to be weight and reflex action. Roughly the more carbon fiber wraps a frame has in it's construction the heavier and stiffer it will be compared to a frame with fewer wraps. Heavier frames = heavier winds, lighter frames = lighter winds.

It can get more involved, especially when you start mixing and matching frames and sails for the wind speeds.
Kip Clement
Apex (land of light and variable wind) NC

#11 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:41 PM

Yes, they' re different!!! Depending on model (full sail. midvent. or full vent) the frames supplied change a little!! They come with 2, 3, or 4 wrap frames, made up of 5 spars each, 1 center LE with ferrules, and 4 open ended spars!! The wraps designate their relative weight and strength, more wraps = more strength = more weight!! Depending on the model, you'll get 2 complete frame sets!! They work the same as a dualie frame, to hold the sail in flying position when assembled!! The SLE has 1 complete frame and one extra leading edge!! One question I do have - Is line included in your pricing? From the post I'd guess not, but I could be wrong!! Might have to check into it, as line does seem to be important!!!Posted Image Also with a "B" series, you get handles already set up with leaders for adjustment, on a SLE you'd need to make your own! Have fun researching!!!Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#12 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:46 PM

new development, upon conducting more research, I've discovered that the price difference between the SLE and B is only $22........ SO is there a purpose to buying the SLE if the B will only cost me a half a day of work more.

Also, noob question. What exactly is a frame in terms of a rev kite, what is it's function on the kite, and how big of an impact do they have on the kite. remember, I'm used to 2 line so the only kite jargon I need is spars, leading edge, and bridle Posted Image Both the SLE and Baressi come with 2 frames, so r these different???

Remember! The B Series does not include the lines! A good set of 90# lines will set you back (at least) another $50+!

Oh, you already fly dualies, maybe you have some bulk line already.....

The frame is just like the frame on a dual line stunt kite, it provides a structure for the sail to attach to. The frame is made up of 5 spars (they look like long black tubes). The leading edge, or, the long straight edge of the Rev, is made up of 3 spars. The final 2 spars are arranged vertically on the Rev, and can be seen by the triangle points at the bottom of the sail. These frames are the same no matter which 1.5 you pick up. The bridle is made of heavy-duty line, it attaches to the frame. You attach your flying lines to the bridle. Pretty similar terminology compared to a dualie stunt kite, ya?

It seems the SLE includes one complete 3 wrap frame, plus an SLE leading edge. The Baressi comes with a complete 2 wrap frame and a complete 3 wrap frame, which gives you many more setup options. To reiterate, the 3 wrap frame included with the SLE will be the same as the one that comes with the Baressi.

I really do feel the Baressi is the best value, no matter what your skill level is.... But if money is tight, it's almost another $100 on top of getting an SLE, and the SLE will serve your needs just fine.

Good luck deciding :kid_devlish: :)

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#13 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:49 PM

Oh yes, and if you are new to Rev flying, remember: THE VERTICAL SPARS GO ON THE BACK OF THE KITE. (The side away from you as you are flying it.) Almost everybody who flies Revs has done it wrong at some point. With the spars in front a Rev will barely fly and is almost uncontrollable.

You can occasionally find Revs being sold cheap because the owner assembled it incorrectly and decided he had been ripped off and sold an expensive kite that wouldn't fly. The upright Rev flyer will conquer his lust for a cheap kite, and explain how the Rev is properly assembled, and maybe even offer a flying lesson.
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#14 xC4RB0NxR3104Dx

xC4RB0NxR3104Dx
  • Forum Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:37 PM

Just for clarification, all new model Rev's come with the same quality line. All Rev's are factory packaged with 100% Laser Pro Gold spectra linesets. The EXP has the exact same lineset as the 1.5's.

As a note on line, authorized Revolution dealers have the option of ordering Revolution kites with or without linesets. If the kites are ordered without linesets, the dealer has the option to add whatever linesets they want to. Most reputable dealers will include either Shanti or Laser Pro Gold linesets but some questionable dealers could supply cheaper dyneema or sport grade lines so they can make higher margins on the sale.

When ordering your Rev complete, it may be a good idea to check with your dealer to make sure the lines they are supplying are indeed quality lines such as Shanti or Laser Pro Gold.

Our shop, A Wind Of Change, orders all of our complete packages directly from Revolution with the factory included linesets, meaning that all our packages do have Laser Pro Gold lines in them. The only exception is the B-Series packages which are not available with linesets. For the B-Series, we offer pre-made linesets from Shanti and will supply LPG line if requested.

I decided to go with your site to check out options on the kites. I noticed that among the things written were " As a bonus, all of the Revolution 1.5 SLE kites sold by A Wind Of Change are automatically upgraded to the 13" extended handles absolutely FREE!!! (A $35.00 value) " I was wondering what exactly does that mean, is it something special only done by you? If so, what does it do for the kite? (if any1 else knows you are free to help me :P lol)
KIRBY SHUFFLE!!!

#15 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:24 PM

13" handles are considered the "standard" by most fliers these days!! But you can get them from 11"- 15" in factory issue and even more lengths if gotten from one of the custom makers!! All handles are in odd # lengths, 9, 11, 13, 15, etc!! Longer handles give stronger inputs to the kite, shorter have smaller!!! People experiment with different lengths to find their own liking!! I happen to use 2 lengths, 13"+ 15", I use them in different wind conditions and different sails! Some use the 13" exclusively!! As you fly longer, you'll develop your own likes or dislikes!!!Posted Image

wayne from portland

AKA member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users