8 replies to this topic

#1 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:57 AM

I am currently trying out, my brand new set of JB-pros, at the coast, this week. (the very first flights) I received them, maybe a week or so, ago, and might I add, that Bazzer did a really great job, on putting these kites together, just exactly as I had envisioned. Posted Image

However, I have noticed that there is something a little strange, going on, with a couple of my new Revs. It appears that the Mid-Vent & the Full Vent kites, are picking up an unusual amount of trash & debris (mainly sand), on the back side of the kites. It seems that there is some type of adhesive (just on the back side), in the narrow (3/8" seam) area, that surrounds the mesh vents, and now, after the first flight, this narrow strip around those vented areas, is pretty much coated with sand. I have sprayed them down real good, with a water hose, as I always do, when I fly at the coast, but the sand doesn't seem to wash off easily. In fact, it seems to be stuck pretty good? Even after the kite has dried, the sand still doesn't want to brush off very easy, by hand. Posted Image

I was just wondering if anyone else, had experienced anything similar, with a new B-Pro ? I'm a little perplexed as to how to clean up the kites, before I pack them up for the trip home, at the end of the week? Posted Image The abrasion from this sand, surely can't be good for the kites, once they get rolled up and placed in the bag, for travel.

Sent from my regular old laptop, with real keys:

nick, from North Carolina
a.k.a. "Reef Runner"
Kitelife Subscriber #590

It's important to have as much fun as possible while we're here.
It balances out the times, when the minefield of life explodes.

J Buffett - "A Pirate Looks at Fifty"

#2 ahofer

ahofer

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 12:10 PM

I started a thread on this some time ago. JB advised me to leave it be and it would fall out as the adhesive dries.
When I was young, my bologna had a first name. Now my bodywash has an "Objective".

#3 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 12:23 PM

You could alway apply a liberal amount of powder to those areas so you have something else stuck there instead of abrasive sand :)

#4 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 12:31 PM

I am currently trying out, my brand new set of JB-pros, at the coast, this week. (the very first flights) I received them, maybe a week or so, ago, and might I add, that Bazzer did a really great job, on putting these kites together, just exactly as I had envisioned. Posted Image

However, I have noticed that there is something a little strange, going on, with a couple of my new Revs. It appears that the Mid-Vent & the Full Vent kites, are picking up an unusual amount of trash & debris (mainly sand), on the back side of the kites. It seems that there is some type of adhesive (just on the back side), in the narrow (3/8" seam) area, that surrounds the mesh vents, and now, after the first flight, this narrow strip around those vented areas, is pretty much coated with sand. I have sprayed them down real good, with a water hose, as I always do, when I fly at the coast, but the sand doesn't seem to wash off easily. In fact, it seems to be stuck pretty good? Even after the kite has dried, the sand still doesn't want to brush off very easy, by hand. Posted Image

I was just wondering if anyone else, had experienced anything similar, with a new B-Pro ? I'm a little perplexed as to how to clean up the kites, before I pack them up for the trip home, at the end of the week? Posted Image The abrasion from this sand, surely can't be good for the kites, once they get rolled up and placed in the bag, for travel.

I've seen this happen on nearly every vented kite. Really not a big deal at all, I don't even worry about it.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:09 PM

Nick,

What you are seeing is the seam tape that is used to hold all the pieces together during sewing. This tape also assists in keeping the joint tight after the sewing is completed. If you look closely, you'll see some between the poly fabric right at the stitch line. You are seeing the sand stick to it on the mid- and full-vent because it's peaking through the screening. Yep, it picks up sand, but doesn't seem to be a long term problem.

You should have seen it on your standard B-series kites also ... yes?

The benefits of a very flat, very tight sail out weight the disadvantage of a little sand.

Cheers,
Tom

#6 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:44 PM

Thanks Guys..........I was just curious, if anyone else, had experienced this situation. I was more worried about the kite, once it was packed up, than otherwise.

Tom, you described it exactly, and that was also my explanation to my wife, when she noticed the sand, and made mention. And yes, you are correct, as I'm familiar with seam tape, cut & sew, and all that, after spending 30 years in the Textile Industry. Needless to say, I've seen just about every type of cut & sew procedure around.

As all have mentioned, probably nothing to anguish over, I was just curious. And as for my set of B's, for some reason, NO, I did not have that problem (?). I don't know why, but I didn't. Possibly, being a stock kite, the adhesive had had ample time to completely dry, so no sticky. On the B-Pros (fresh from the factory), I can squeeze the seam between my thumb and index finger, and the finger on the mesh side will actually stick to the seam. Again, no big deal..........

Never the less, I won't loose any sleep over the matter..........cheers to everyone from Jockey's Ridge !
It's after 5 o'clock, so, I've just got to go and Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Sent from my regular old laptop, with real keys:

nick, from North Carolina
a.k.a. "Reef Runner"
Kitelife Subscriber #590

It's important to have as much fun as possible while we're here.
It balances out the times, when the minefield of life explodes.

J Buffett - "A Pirate Looks at Fifty"

#7 tommylurvebus

tommylurvebus

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:41 AM

You could alway apply a liberal amount of powder to those areas so you have something else stuck there instead of abrasive sand :)

Maybe chalk dust or were you thinking of talc? Scented Revs now theres a novel modification. Posted Image
tommy harrison

#8 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:52 PM

Maybe chalk dust or were you thinking of talc? Scented Revs now theres a novel modification. Posted Image

Sure to be a hit with the ladies B)

#9 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:30 AM

Sure to be a hit with the ladies B)

One bowling ball mfg. is putting scents in all their balls!! Weird to pick up someone else's ball and smell "black cherry"!!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users