8 replies to this topic

#1 ahofer

ahofer

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:19 PM

My 'Revopolo' is very tight across the leading edge, and the rod end is fraying. Should I just coat it with a little epoxy?
When I was young, my bologna had a first name. Now my bodywash has an "Objective".

#2 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 04:37 PM

My 'Revopolo' is very tight across the leading edge, and the rod end is fraying. Should I just coat it with a little epoxy?

Are you saying that the fabric on the end of the leading edge is fraying, or that the end of the rod itself is splintering? If the fabric is fraying, take a small flame or a soldering iron to the edge of the fabric to cauterize the fabric. If the rod is splintering, use tape and or epoxy to try and keep it held together.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 ahofer

ahofer

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:52 PM

the rod, in this case. Thanks.
When I was young, my bologna had a first name. Now my bodywash has an "Objective".

#4 JasonOsteo

JasonOsteo

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:54 PM

Maybe loosening the LE cap bungies would take some strain off?
People are like Slinkys. Basically useless but fun to watch falling down stairs.

#5 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:15 AM

A splintered stick probably originates from sand abrasives in-between the cap and tubes,
... a deep scratch becomes a splinter, which becomes a crack and eventually total frame failure follows shortly thereafter.

#6 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:36 AM

I've pretty much eliminated sand problems by using "o" rings at the edge of the cap to keep the sand out!! Works great, doesn't add weight, and makes takedown a breeze!!! Posted Image I use 4 rings total, 2 on the bottoms of the verts, 2 for the LE!! Posted Image Take both a race rod and a 3 wrap stick with you, they use different sizes!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#7 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 07:05 AM

I'm sure that Wayne's O-ring method works perfectly, because he has told me so. As another alternative, I began using short (1/4") pieces of silicon, surgical tubing, to keep out the sand. Get the right size, and one size fits all.............there was some extensive discussion, concerning keeping sand out of end caps, in a previous thread.........should this be part of your problem.

Take a look: http://www.revkites....dpost__p__70320

As for repair..........I have repaired, minor split and/or frayed ends, of SkyShark tubing, and a couple of Rev rods, by dipping the split and/or frayed end, into some quick setting, 2 part epoxy. Immediately after dipping the end of the rod, into the pool of epoxy, I used a tooth pick, to spread a small amount into the "particularly bad" crack, or split. Then I allowed the epoxied rod, to set-up overnight, preferably hanging in the vertical position, with the repaired end hanging down. One other thing to consider, is that after you repair a rod, the repaired end, will have to remain as an outer end, on your LE, or be used as a vertical rod, from now on. Once you dip the end of the rod, into the epoxy, and it sets up, you won't be able to slide a ferrule (as in the center LE section), into that end of the rod ! This really shouldn't present a problem, though, but something to keep in mind. Hope that makes sense.....................Posted Image

Sent from my regular old laptop, with real keys:

nick, from North Carolina
a.k.a. "Reef Runner"
Kitelife Subscriber #590

It's important to have as much fun as possible while we're here.
It balances out the times, when the minefield of life explodes.

J Buffett - "A Pirate Looks at Fifty"

#8 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:16 AM

Take a look: http://www.revkites....dpost__p__70320

What I said early in the above thread still stands. Please follow the steps to ensure that you do not have sand in the rods before you connect the end caps.
I have been using silicon tube tube since around 1993 to keep the sand out.
The only thing I don't like about the silicon is that very fine sand tends to stick on the outside of the silicone tube. You can brush that off.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#9 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:25 AM

Aye John, no argument from me, just a slightly different approach, I suppose...............thanks for the reminder about clearing the LE sleeve, and the LE spars, of sand. I forgot to mention that.............................Posted Image

Sent from my regular old laptop, with real keys:

nick, from North Carolina
a.k.a. "Reef Runner"
Kitelife Subscriber #590

It's important to have as much fun as possible while we're here.
It balances out the times, when the minefield of life explodes.

J Buffett - "A Pirate Looks at Fifty"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users