8 replies to this topic

#1 ahofer

ahofer

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:11 PM

Anyone use Skybond? Have a comparison to laser pro gold? I far prefer LPG to Shanti Speed.

I noticed Wind of Change has it, but no pre-made 120' sets..?

Does it only come in 100# and 175#, and what do these correspond to in terms of flying resistance?
When I was young, my bologna had a first name. Now my bodywash has an "Objective".

#2 Cath Shook

Cath Shook

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:13 PM

Anyone use Skybond? Have a comparison to laser pro gold? I far prefer LPG to Shanti Speed.

I noticed Wind of Change has it, but no pre-made 120' sets..?

Does it only come in 100# and 175#, and what do these correspond to in terms of flying resistance?

Hi, I only sell Shanti the most consistent I've found, and Skybond is great.

That said, Skybond comes in 50#, 100#, 175# (and higher)

You can have any length you want, and I'm sure Kent could get it as well as me.

Cath

Cath
cath@flyingsmileskites.com
www.FlyingSmilesKites.com
252-453-8442

Come see us at Flying Smiles Kites when you're on the Outer Banks of NC!

Kites make me smile ... Revs make me grin!

"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

#3 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:13 AM

I tried every kind of line maker's wares over the years, {six thousand feet of Berry Blue ES-55 (75# strength) as an example}. I'm exclusively on the Skybond or LPG currently, both are equal in every regard, . . . . . . . ~stretch, ~durability, ~tight braids, ~slipperiness, ~ability to blend with the other one in team formations.

It comes down to the color in my opinion.
If you'd prefer yellow lines then the Skybond is everything you could hope for (I fly more on grass and it's much more visible to the spectators, not that they are looking where they're goin'!!!) If white is your choice, then "old faithful laserpro gold" is perfect!

Cath & Elliott will make up the sets of Skybond in any length or format I've desired. Teresa's my source for all things LPG, but Scotty has squeezed me, as well as Ben on more than one occasion. I change linesets with the slightest hint of resistance, longer sets get cut-down into shorter ones and they loose the sleeving then, if it originally came that way. Short sets get turned into magic stick truss lines, eventually the tiniest scraps get caught in Barbara's vacuum cleaner to wind-up in landfills. Find some poor flier on stetchy strings and donate the older ones to upgrade their experience, maybe even sharing the secret of even lengths <Ha!>

This weekend I went to the Washington Monument and flew most of Sunday morning on Skybond 50# 120s (Zen) and 100# 120s(SUL Pro B-Series). The usual complaint about fifty pound lines is they "flex\give", so you send a command, it takes a moment or requires another action to overcome the "give\flex" in the thin lines. I like to get off of it as soon as possible, but sometimes conditions just demand every advantage available. Rich Comras surprised me, . . . so we chased spectators on the mall grounds with 1.5 SULs on a 100 feet of LPG 50# together most of the afternoon. Another grand time with my Rev Rider brother!

I used both line maker's wares this weekend to complete satisfaction, in several weights and lengths

#4 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:25 AM

You sure you're not confusing Speed and Skybond - even Shanti says Skybond stretches more and doesn't wear as well.

http://shantikites.c...e/skybond-line/

#5 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:05 AM

You sure you're not confusing Speed and Skybond - even Shanti says Skybond stretches more and doesn't wear as well.

Although this is true, it is a bit misleading. The stretch is so minuscule that it is barely worth mentioning. Once you pre-stretch the Skybond line out, it doesn't stretch again. I have compared Skybond 100# vs. LPG 90# vs. Speed 90# and the stretch between all three when pulled at 100' is between 2-3 inches on all three. Also for wear, we have been using the Skybond pretty much exclusively in our group now for over a year and any wear at all has not been noticeable. My personal set - one of the very first ever produced by Shanti - has had over 2 years of use now and it still flies perfectly.

I will say though, my own personal findings is that Skybond is the slipperiest line I have ever used. It is way more slicker than Speed or LPG. You can put 10 complete wraps in the line and still not feel any drag at all.

We also have 100# Skybond in stock in the 120' lengths (quad sets and duals).

As for weights, the Skybond line does "test" out slightly stronger than the speed line, so 100# Skybond is equal to 90# speed or LPG but is slightly thinner in diameter. 175# is equal to 150# line and is also thinner. Right now we have pre-made sets available in the 100# and 175#. We have bulk available in 50#, 100#, 175# and 275#.

For custom sets, give me a call and we can make pretty much anything you desire.

Hope this helps.

#6 Cath Shook

Cath Shook

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:04 PM

Although this is true, it is a bit misleading. The stretch is so minuscule that it is barely worth mentioning. Once you pre-stretch the Skybond line out, it doesn't stretch again. I have compared Skybond 100# vs. LPG 90# vs. Speed 90# and the stretch between all three when pulled at 100' is between 2-3 inches on all three. Also for wear, we have been using the Skybond pretty much exclusively in our group now for over a year and any wear at all has not been noticeable. My personal set - one of the very first ever produced by Shanti - has had over 2 years of use now and it still flies perfectly.

I will say though, my own personal findings is that Skybond is the slipperiest line I have ever used. It is way more slicker than Speed or LPG. You can put 10 complete wraps in the line and still not feel any drag at all.

As for weights, the Skybond line does "test" out slightly stronger than the speed line, so 100# Skybond is equal to 90# speed or LPG but is slightly thinner in diameter. 175# is equal to 150# line and is also thinner. Right now we have pre-made sets available in the 100# and 175#. We have bulk available in 50#, 100#, 175# and 275#.

For custom sets, give me a call and we can make pretty much anything you desire.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Kent for lucidly explaining!

I've been making sets for several years now, and Love the Skybond - once it is stretched during the set-making process, any additional stretch (IF there's any) will be the same on both sides.

I've never found a quad set - of any sort - that the upper lines don't stretch when flying in 35-40 MPH over more than an hour!

Cath

Cath
252-453-8442

#7 Cath Shook

Cath Shook

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:04 PM

Hope this helps.

Thanks Kent for lucidly explaining!

I've been making sets for several years now, and Love the Skybond - once it is stretched during the set-making process, any additional stretch (IF there's any) will be the same on both sides.

I've never found a quad set - of any sort - that the upper lines don't stretch when flying in 35-40 MPH over more than an hour!

Cath

Cath
252-453-8442

#8 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:29 AM

Well that's curious ... the line stretches/wears at a rate closer to the better version of their product according to their claims ... not sure if one should be confused or impressed that their own claims are 'wrong' :wacko:

Perhaps they are refering to temporary stretching during control inputs - almost like a bungee. I've never flown these lines so I'm only going by what the manufacturer says. As far as wear goes, I wonder if the coating serves to protect the lines from catching on things that would otherwise catch a braided line and accelerate the wear.

Like I said, I have never flown these lines so I'm not bashing them ... just curious about the manufacturer claims vs user experience. So far I'm happy with all my LPG, since I can't just test lines before I buy something since none of these are readily available ... I just go with what is commonly held to be the best way to go.

Incidentally, if anyone has a 30, 50, 60 or 80' set they don't like/want you're welcome to send them to me so I can form my own experience on it :P
(Same goes for Shanti Speed ;) and if I don't like them I know a Rev pilot on some poor lines that would benifit from them)

#9 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:56 AM

One of the advantages with the polymer bonded line (Skybond) is that the weave is coated. This helps reduce the possibility of sand or dust particles working their way into the center of the lines. The lines don't discolor nearly as fast as normal unbonded line. You don't end up with those nasty brownish looking lines and they don't get all "gritty" feeling after flying on the beach for a length of time.

Speed line is still Shanti's flagship line. Skybond is the newest creation and although Speed line does win out on some of the controlled internal factory tests, I personally find that in the field, Skybond is superior. It is much more slicker than any other line I have ever used, it is also thinner in diameter and I like the yellow color because it is so much easier to see on the ground than the white. I also feel more direct connection to the kite while flying, definitely no bungee feeling at all. I am not sure why they claim that Skybond has more stretch, this is not what I have discovered except in the initial pre-stretching. Skybond does stretch out a little more during the pre-stretch process, but once you get a good solid pre-stretch there is very little difference (if any) to Speed line or even LPG.

All three of these lines are the top lines in the industry and (IMO) these three lines far exceed any of the other brands of line. I don't think you would go wrong with any one of them. For me personally, I really love the feel of the new Skybond over the other two and find it's slickness far exceeds the others. Your best bet is to try it out and see for yourself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users