#1 Fraser

Fraser

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 10:18 AM

Hello All.

Lines and winders. Before I got any kite at all, a site recommended winding your dual lines onto the winder in a figure-of-eight because "it imparts a twist to the the lines and when you unwind them, hey presto - no tangles".... it said. Hmmm... Well, the first time I unwound lines I'd wound that way, it did seem to work, but now I've got into quads, I have NEVER spent less than a clear 10minutes at the start untangling them. :angry: It's doin' my head in, as we say say over here.

It's not so much one side's main and brake lines getting twisted - that's easy enough to undo just by turning the handle, but when they're tangled from side to side.... ARGHH!

All I can think of is having two winders - one for each side. That way, the differerent colours - guaranteeing that top will connect to top and brake to bottom - will mean that at worst, I'll only have to untwist each handle to get the lines sorted before I can fly.

Anyone else have to do something like this, or are you all ace line winders and/or have some fantastic tricks for tangle-free winding?

#2 Quad KiT

Quad KiT

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 10:29 AM

larkhead the pairs together (Equal lengths taking in consideration the handles offset) , wind with your hand in between the two pairs, don't try to get the tangles out until the lines are fully stretched.

#3 ilh

ilh

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:05 AM

Good advice on larksheading the lines in right/left pairs and then running a finger between them while winding. Definitely do not do any untangling until the lines are stretched out as they get get kinked fairly easily, making detangling more difficult. As long as your are careful winding and unwinding, the worst you should end up with is the pairs twisted around each other (can fly that out) and each pair twisted (twist a handle to fix). You shouldn't be ending up with your pairs through each other or worse.

BTW, figure-8 vs. straight winding doesn't really matter with respect to twists, as long as you always wind and unwind from the same side. Since most winders have a finger hole, that is typically the side you hold while winding and unwinding. I can't make my mind up to figure-8 or not. I go back and forth between the two all the time depending on my mood.

--Lee

#4 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:34 AM

looong discussion about winding lines going on over here:
http://kitelife.com/...amp;#entry13558
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#5 CWhippie

CWhippie
  • Forum Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:36 AM

When Howard had taken me out for my first time flying a REV is first recommendation was to start with 2 winders.

To paraphrase Howard, this saves tens of minutes of headaches that would be better spent learning to fly. As you learn to fly you will also learn line management on the ground.

I wasn't paying real close attention but I wouldn't be surprised if Howard ran his finger between the pairs of lines while winding his quad lines at the end of that flight, I recall his lines being pretty straight when we first unwound em

#6 Fraser

Fraser

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:45 AM

Ah great stuff y'all - you never let posters down with your quick and helpful replies. :)

I suspect that, apart from anything else, I'm not paying attention to keeping everything under tension when I'm winding.

Right, I'll go and check out Mike's "loooong discussion" link. LOL

#7 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:43 PM

i do it with seprate winders 2 lines per winder it only takes minutes if done right
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#8 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:46 PM

i do it with seprate winders 2 lines per winder it only takes minutes if done right

Imagine how many drinks of beer you are missing using two winders.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#9 Quad KiT

Quad KiT

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:42 PM

I was there, he didn't miss any!

#10 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:51 PM

I am tempted to go back to two winders. Ever since I went to one winder and the larksheads I have spent the same aggrivating (sp?) 10 minutes undoing twists and cross overs.

The thing I think of when I am doing this is that I am not flying and can't get home to the cold cold beer!

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#11 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 09:48 PM

Now come on Alden. Whats most important, flying or cold beer. Let me think.

Cold beer definatly comes a close second. I think Ant has it right, flying AND cold beer. Good company helps too of course.

#12 play365

play365

The Flying Squad

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 04:09 AM

2 winders for me :lol: and anyone who knows me knows I never miss a beer :lol: :lol:
GARY

Posted Image

#13 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:57 AM

I've seen Ant flying when he has loaded up on cold beer. It made me look good! :lol:

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#14 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 11:23 AM

that was the whole idea alden .. next time ill have to show you up sober just because you had to say that :lol:
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#15 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 12:47 PM

I guess I am in the minority here. I don't bother disconnecting my lines from the kite or the handles. Just leave them all set up all the time. If it goes in the bag set up right, it comes out set up right. I can see if you order your Rev's kite only and use one or two linesets for all the different Rev's but if you have one rev, just leave it all connected.

I can usually have my rev set up and flying within three to five minutes after driving my stake in the ground. Takes only a little bit of time is all. The way I do it is listed below.

First we'll start the process with the kite already set up and ready to take down for the night.

I start by staking my handles and walking to the kite. I take the kite apart and roll it up leaving the lines connected to the kite. Slide the kite into the bag and tuck it under your arm. Start about 6 to 8 inches from the end of the bag and start winding your lines around the winder in a figure 8 (or straight wraps, it doesn't make that big of a difference to me). I prefer figure 8's because that is just what I have always done. Wrap up to your handles to only a couple inches of line left before the lines go tight on the handles, secure the winder/lines with the bungee. There may be a little difference in the lengths of the line depending on how the kite was rolled and how it was staked, don't worry about the different length and just wrap as much as you can and secure, leaving any extra hanging. Ok, this is the important part. Don't let the winder flip around when you pack it up. Carefully slide the winder down inside of the bag as far as you can reach leaving enough room for the handles to be slid down above it, just loosely tuck the extra line into the bag above the winder. Carefully pick up your handles and make sure they do not dangle, spin, or twist around. If they spin it will make it harder to get them straightened out when you set up again. Slide the handles down into the bag as far as you feel comfortable with making sure not to snag on the kite bridles or sail, again loosely tuck in any extra line on top of the handles, pull out your kite stake and your done! With the EXP and 1.5, some bags are not quite big enough for the entire handle to be tucked into the bag, just tuck them down as far as you can and leave the extra 1 or 2 inches of the handles poking out of the top, secure the bag around the handles with the drawstring.

To set the Rev up again for your next flight:
Put kite stake in the ground, carefully slide out your handles making sure they don't dangle and spin around, put them on the stake the same way you took them off when you packed the kite up. Slide out your winder again making sure it doesn't dangle and spin, start unwrapping your lines the same way you wrapped them up, walking backwards down wind. When done, set winder aside and pull out the kite, unroll and assemble. Pull against your stake and set the kite so it will not self launch. Walk back to your handles, pick up handles and do one or two twists to clear the lines (if necessary) and fly!

This is the way I have been packing my Rev's away for quite a few years and I have shown others the same way with very few problems at all. Even the most messy tangles are pretty easy to get out with sliding one handle through the other or turning one handle and then the other. Most tangles are because the winder and handles are allowed to bounce/spin around when you pack it up. Even though it is pretty simple. I think it is much easier than disconnecting the lines, larksheading them onto each other, or even two winders.

Again if you use the same lines/handles with different Rev's then this way may be more complicated than disconnecting your lines but it works awesome if you have each kite with its own set.

Hope this helps someone.

#16 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 01:29 PM

Hello All.

Lines and winders. Before I got any kite at all, a site recommended winding your dual lines onto the winder in a figure-of-eight because "it imparts a twist to the the lines and when you unwind them, hey presto - no tangles".... it said. Hmmm... Well, the first time I unwound lines I'd wound that way, it did seem to work, but now I've got into quads, I have NEVER spent less than a clear 10minutes at the start untangling them. :angry: It's doin' my head in, as we say say over here.

It's not so much one side's main and brake lines getting twisted - that's easy enough to undo just by turning the handle, but when they're tangled from side to side.... ARGHH!

All I can think of is having two winders - one for each side. That way, the differerent colours - guaranteeing that top will connect to top and brake to bottom - will mean that at worst, I'll only have to untwist each handle to get the lines sorted before I can fly.

Anyone else have to do something like this, or are you all ace line winders and/or have some fantastic tricks for tangle-free winding?

I use one winder. I just do each side one at a time. I have a big winder with a bunch of 50# line that I make little loops, and use it to larks head the sides together. then, one side at a time, I wind the lines up keeping a finger between the top and bottom lines. Then when I unwind them, I may have to twist each handle once or twice. Very easy, very fast, very cheap, very profficiant.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#17 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 03:38 PM

This is a cross post from another forum. I've wound my lines like this for years.

I went into the backyard and took some photos of winding the lines around the handles.
Please ignore the way the lawn looks; we're not supposed to water our lawns right now. It's not bad really. Now we don't need to mow either :rolleyes:

I attached the lines to the kite and unwound the lines off my handles. Here are some photos to show that the lines look tangled:
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg

At this point all I had to do was to put tension on the lines and all those supposed tangles disappeared!
There were only a couple real twists. I put my handles together and turned them once, and then I turned one handle around once and that was it.

Now, to wind the lines back on the handles, grab the the handles like so:
04.jpg

Point the handles in the general direction of the kite and start to wind the lines. I like to start by winding around the adjustment knots to help hold it all together better:
05.jpg 06.jpg

Note that I start at the bottom of the grips and work my way up to the top, ending up like so:
07.jpg

Now disconnect the lines from one side of the kite. Sometime the lengths come out even, but usually it looks like this:
08.jpg

To keep things even on the handle, I larks-head the shorter line onto the longer line:
09.jpg

After larks-heading the other pair of lines, pinch all four of lines thru the grips to hold it all in place.
10.jpg

When it's time to set up your kite, attach the lines to the kite and walk backwards.
Grip the handles the same way you did when when winding them up. Point them towards the kite again too. This is essential.
11.jpg

That's it! I hope you enjoy Mike's Magical Method of line storage!
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#18 Jay Nunes

Jay Nunes

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:18 PM

See I wind my lines in a Figure 8 right around the rubber on the Handles.. Just like on a Winder
And Tie the Left lines and Right side lines together...
The Trick is to Never Let the Lines go and Wind all Crazy and junk..
I wind them right to the Ground and never pic them up into the air...
Also When I was new at this I used Red Sharpy to mark the Right and Red and Black Sharpies to Mark right bottom..
Left top has no color and Left Bottom was just Back..
then I alway knew I had them Right

Great Topic. I love all the different ways and personal touch each flyers has about the smallest things..

Jay

Kiting Tampa Bay Web Site

Kitemania

February 7-8 2014 Treasure Island Beach..
The NON_Festival weekend of flying...

#19 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:23 PM

You gotta be kidding me, it's not like winding 4 lines is rocket science. (sorry)

Tie each side to itself, unhook from the handles and the kite, hook one side to the winder put your pinky between the 2 sets and figure 8 wrap tightly. they come out just as easy and they go on.

If you watch the video that comes with complete sets Joe gives excellent instruction on how to do this.

Hook on your handle first stake them as Joe suggests, when you get out to the end spread the two sets wide to the handles, hook to the kite then when you get back to the handles you can untwist what little bit there is easily.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#20 Fraser

Fraser

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 04:26 AM

This is a cross post from another forum. I've wound my lines like this for years.

I went into the backyard and took some photos of winding the lines around the handles.
Please ignore the way the lawn looks; we're not supposed to water our lawns right now. It's not bad really. Now we don't need to mow either :rolleyes:

I attached the lines to the kite and unwound the lines off my handles. Here are some photos to show that the lines look tangled:
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg

At this point all I had to do was to put tension on the lines and all those supposed tangles disappeared!
There were only a couple real twists. I put my handles together and turned them once, and then I turned one handle around once and that was it.

Now, to wind the lines back on the handles, grab the the handles like so:
04.jpg

Point the handles in the general direction of the kite and start to wind the lines. I like to start by winding around the adjustment knots to help hold it all together better:
05.jpg 06.jpg

Note that I start at the bottom of the grips and work my way up to the top, ending up like so:
07.jpg

Now disconnect the lines from one side of the kite. Sometime the lengths come out even, but usually it looks like this:
08.jpg

To keep things even on the handle, I larks-head the shorter line onto the longer line:
09.jpg

After larks-heading the other pair of lines, pinch all four of lines thru the grips to hold it all in place.
10.jpg

When it's time to set up your kite, attach the lines to the kite and walk backwards.
Grip the handles the same way you did when when winding them up. Point them towards the kite again too. This is essential.
11.jpg

That's it! I hope you enjoy Mike's Magical Method of line storage!

Mike - those pictures are amazing! You should start a business preparing photo-manuals for companies - you'd make a mint! LOL I'll definitely try this technique and let you know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users