Photo

Zero-Light Wind practice / curious Question?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Beaufort

Beaufort

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:48 PM

Would you be able to weigh a couple 50# line sets against a 30# of equal length? Like at least 2 shorter sets? I'm wondering at what length do the benefits of 50# line start to not matter.

I'm not too concerned about the frame weight, though I do appreciate you doing the numbers! I tried the 4 wrap a few times in very light wind (2-5mph), and it didn't really "feel" heavy, though it felt sluggish to my inputs. And i noticed that not having flex in the frame was holding me back some from tricking more often, as the sail seemed more difficult to load up. Maybe because the kite was over-sheeting the wind because the stiff frame was keeping the sail too taught? I didn't seem to lose too much distance on my floats, but they felt really twitchy with the 4 wrap.

I'm sure the Race frame won't be difficult to fly in light wind, and will have faaarrrr more flex than the 4 or even 3 wrap, but I'm interested to do my own live comparison against the 2 wrap for sure!

My comment was regarding Windpoacher's post about set up for light wind: Here my point is, I believe that a RR frame being about 20% heavier than a 2 wrap, will be of no help in a light wind setup compared to a 2 wrap. They (RR) might not be difficult to fly, but not easier either .

#22 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:51 AM

Fair enough. I get your point.

Thanks again for the numbers on the RR frame weight comparison.

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#23 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:55 AM

Fair enough. I get your point.

Thanks again for the numbers on the RR frame weight comparison.

Some like the RR flex capabilities; myself, the 2 wrap seems to be good for me!!!Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#24 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:37 AM

short lengths for me are always on 90# line, otherwise the string snags all the bits of crap on the flying field's surface. If 90# catches something just jerk it harder and saw thru any obstruction!

#25 ahofer

ahofer

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:11 PM

I rode my bike 30+ miles this morning, then did zero wind flying at Rosedale Park in the afternoon. I came home and lay down, then woke up an hour later. Tiring day.

I used 35 feet of 50# lines, a rev1.5b pro, race rods and 'sissy sticks' that Scott set up for me. The sticks really help you extend the glide, and you can toss the kite reeeally slowly with them. I have a lighter kite (SUL), but I think the sticks probably make up for the extra weight. I use 15" handles and I did get a sense of the "sheeting" that John talks about.

The immediate response of shorter lines is helpful. I could just do "up and over" with 35 feet. I don't seem to have a prayer at 50'. And I can pop quick turns near the ground with shorter lines.

When I was young, my bologna had a first name. Now my bodywash has an "Objective".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users