28 replies to this topic

#21 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:39 PM

Only thing I see with that, is the drilling could leave a sharp edge that will cut into your leaders! Stone in Shoe's method works plenty well and holds up over the long term!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#22 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:00 AM

Only thing I see with that, is the drilling could leave a sharp edge that will cut into your leaders! Stone in Shoe's method works plenty well and holds up over the long term!!

I'm going to try the "Stone in Shoe" method on another set of handles. There isn't any sharp edges as the ends are filled with 2 part epoxy which fills all the voids. I pre drilled to final size and deburred before filling. The counter sinking after the epoxy had set turned out a treat. There isn't any edges to cut into leaders.

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#23 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

Good Luck and keep us posted on how this works out!! Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#24 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

I'm going to try the "Stone in Shoe" method on another set of handles. There isn't any sharp edges as the ends are filled with 2 part epoxy which fills all the voids. I pre drilled to final size and deburred before filling. The counter sinking after the epoxy had set turned out a treat. There isn't any edges to cut into leaders.

A Cautionary Note: I don't know where you leaned of the method, possibly from Watty’s Youtube video, (thanks Watty, great job). When I first did the mod I was careful that anything I did was reversible as it was a bit of an experiment and I wasn’t sure how happy I would be with the end result. As it turns out it was a good job I did, and I now recommend that people only modify the break line connections as I ended up de-modding the top fixings because it had increased the “above the bend” handle length and it messed with my grip. I have to say others haven’t found it an issue, but you do need to be aware.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#25 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:07 AM

A Cautionary Note: I don't know where you leaned of the method, possibly from Watty's Youtube video, (thanks Watty, great job). When I first did the mod I was careful that anything I did was reversible as it was a bit of an experiment and I wasn't sure how happy I would be with the end result. As it turns out it was a good job I did, and I now recommend that people only modify the break line connections as I ended up de-modding the top fixings because it had increased the "above the bend" handle length and it messed with my grip. I have to say others haven't found it an issue, but you do need to be aware.

Bob - I've used "your" method - modding both top and bottom - for 5 different sets and haven't had a bit of trouble adapting to them!! Holds up nicely!! Thanks for the tip!! Posted Image

wayne from portland

AKA member

#26 kitefantex

kitefantex

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:16 AM

Is there a difference in the angle of bend between different lenghts of handles?

I made two sets no snag , the same lenght as std. B handles and bend out of 3/8 alum. bar stock with foam grips used in fishing rods from Jan-net. Holes drill through the ends on an angle and deburred. Leader is larks headed and covered with the soft plastic end caps. Working well so far.

Kitefantex aka Gumby

#27 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:04 AM

The ones I modded, can I call them "Rob-No-Snags"?, worked a treat. After an hour of flailing about with my new B2 there wasn't any fraying or whiskers at the handle/leader attachment point. I was very happy about that. The whole process was a bit involved but the result was pretty good. Already planning a mark 2 version.

Rob

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344017027.577237.jpg

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone.

#28 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:37 PM

After a month of fairly constant use, one of the leaders (left hand brake) is starting to fray.

Going to de-mod both brake tips to Stone in Shoe Bob Method. Hopefully the tops hold out as I've grown accustom to the No-Snag feel on my thumbs.
Rob.

#29 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:42 AM

Fail fail fail!
After the last 3 kite sessions on the B2, all above 30km/h, the LHS top attachment point started to fray. I'm not going to risk it cutting while the kite is in the air. Put the hog clips back on the top and will mod the bottoms this week. I finished flying with my 13's. They weren't as twitchy as when I first used them for my B2.

Was a good experiment.

Rob.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users