3 replies to this topic

#1 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:09 AM

Jockey's Ridge, is a large sand dune (tallest in the eastern US) on the east coast of North Carolina. The peaks are approximately 100 feet above sea level, getting you well above any wind obstructions, and it is usually wide open, offering an ample flying area. There is plenty of room for single, dual, & quad line fliers, and it is located right across the main highway, from a large kite store. The dunes actually consist of three peaks, and are an example of a Medano, shifting sand that lacks vegetation. No plants or animals make their home on the dunes, due to the harsh conditions there. During the summer months, when visitation is highest, visitors are encouraged to bring water with them. There is no fresh water available within the park, and dehydration can sneak up on you, with the warm & windy conditions, which tend to mask ones excessive loss of body moisture. The desert-like environment, can be quite harsh, with air temperatures reaching 110+ degrees, and sand temperatures soaring an additional 30 degrees. A pair of flops is a must, on those hot summer days. Hats & sunscreen are also advisable. Again, the environment can be extremely harsh, especially for the very young, and the elderly, so use caution, but do enjoy! You will never find a better place to fly, as long as you come prepared, so bring all your kites and enjoy the breath taking views, but do not forget the water !! Jockeys Ridge State Park (the sand dune), is located on the west side of the main beach road (US 158 Bypass - South Croatan Highway). There are public restrooms & water, along with a hang gliding school, located over at the Park Headquarters, on Carolista Drive, which is accessed from the main highway, at milepost 12. There are also public restrooms and restaurants, located in, and around the shopping center, directly across the main highway, from the dune, at milepost 12 1/2. There is also a park entrance, located directly across the highway from the shopping center, along with a pedestrian controlled crosswalk, to assist in getting across. Traffic is extremely heavy during the tourist season, and moving at 50 mph +, so use the crosswalk. Bear in mind, that these two areas, the Park Headquarters, and the shopping center, are located on different sides of the dune, and are approximately 1/2 - 3/4 miles apart. Once you are out on the dune, there are NO facilities, of any kind, so bring water if you plan on staying a while. Occasionally, the park rangers do circulate over the dunes, on a four-wheeler, bearing ice water for the visitors & guests, but you can not always count on them, coming by your location. Again, this can be a very HOT place, during the mid & late summer months, so please use caution and common sense. Did I mention, BRING WATER......

http://www.kitemap.o...idge State Park

IMG_1685.JPG IMG_1729.JPG IMG_1467.JPG IMG_1471.JPG IMG_1679.JPG IMG_1510.JPG

Sent from my regular old laptop, with real keys:

nick, from North Carolina
a.k.a. "Reef Runner"
Kitelife Subscriber #590

It's important to have as much fun as possible while we're here.
It balances out the times, when the minefield of life explodes.

J Buffett - "A Pirate Looks at Fifty"

#2 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:25 AM

Looks like a great place to fly, even if the condition are a little harsh!!!Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#3 NCREVR

NCREVR
  • Forum Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:00 PM

Hey that looks like my kite....

Sent from my Darkslide v4.2 DX

#4 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:22 AM

Hey that looks like my kite....

Nope, that's my very first Rev, a Blue & Mango, 1.5 SLE. Believe me, that old kite took a licking, and it kept on ticking. I need to dig that baby out, and give it a little air time, sometime soon. Posted Image

6.JPG IMG_1802.JPG

Sent from my regular old laptop, with real keys:

nick, from North Carolina
a.k.a. "Reef Runner"
Kitelife Subscriber #590

It's important to have as much fun as possible while we're here.
It balances out the times, when the minefield of life explodes.

J Buffett - "A Pirate Looks at Fifty"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users