Michigan skies: Let the revolution begin

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Gravitychecker

Gravitychecker
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:45 PM

Greetings all! After I ordered my first Revolution kite, a Rev1.5 SLE, (Thank you Corey at WindPower Sports) I started lurking in this forum. My only kite experience was with a two-line. All the talk of frames, vent vs. no vent, weights, line length...ARGH! I was intimidated. The kite arrived and I went to a park. Karma spoke and alas, not much wind. Of course, this was with the SLE. I wasn't sure what was up so I initially started with that. Two different days with dismal results. I came back to the forum to learn...and sulk. Two days later, after checking wind conditions at usairnet.com, I knew that today this bad boy would see some altitude. I put in the SUL. Wow. I am an enthusiastic member of the dark side! After I dropped my 2 line bad habits I had a blast. I must say, these kites are tough! It still cracks me up that I could hear that baby WHUMP into the ground over my iPod. I did split a washer on the bungee for the left spar but Superglue got me back in the air. So much to learn and it's gonna be a real joy to "go to school". A big shout out to usairnet.com for wind reports, to Google satellite maps for helping me find a great local place to fly, to Revolution for making such a wonderful product and to the members of this forum, for being SO generous with your advice and help. We may never meet but I sure feel like I have a whole new bunch of friends. If more people were hipped to the joys of kiting, I think the number of prescriptions for Zoloft and Paxil would drop dramatically. May your winds be steady and your hearts be joyful. P.S. If I can learn to fly in these GUSTY Michigan winds, nothing can stop me.

#2 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:20 AM

Whereabouts do you fly? I'm in the Ann Arbor/Ypsi area. The nearest popular flying location is in Livonia. I plan to get to Grand Haven for May 20-22.

If you haven't checked out kitemap.org for places to fly (and to enter your own favorite places), you should. It's a new service in the past few days, so the number of locations is increasing daily. You can also enter your home location on the Member Map here on the Rev Forum (in the blue bar at the top of this page). See who the flyers are that live near you.

You said: "After I dropped my 2 line bad habits I had a blast." Yeah, with the Rev, sometimes you almost have to tie your wrists together to discourage trying to "punch turn".

The other thing I found helpful many years ago was to fix in my mind that I was going ClockWise and CounterClockWise, rather than Right and Left, in turns or rotations. And with the Rev, Forward and Back/Brake, rather than Up and Down. (This will help avoid those panic turns and accelerations/decelerations that smack right into the ground. Revs are tough, but not indestructible.)

Welcome to the dark side!
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#3 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:25 AM

<snip>

Yeah, with the Rev, sometimes you almost have to tie your wrists together to discourage trying to "punch turn".

<snip>

And later you may find that you have to learn 'long arm' techniques all over again <grins>

Felix

#4 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:48 AM

I said: "Yeah, with the Rev, sometimes you almost have to tie your wrists together to discourage trying to "punch turn".

And later you may find that you have to learn 'long arm' techniques all over again <grins>

Felix

Maybe I should have said: "When first switching from 2-line to the Rev..."

Certainly the best and most interesting Rev fliers display some amazing distances between their hands under some circumstances. (Usually in very light winds.)

--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#5 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:44 AM

I said: "Yeah, with the Rev, sometimes you almost have to tie your wrists together to discourage trying to "punch turn".

Maybe I should have said: "When first switching from 2-line to the Rev..."

Certainly the best and most interesting Rev fliers display some amazing distances between their hands under some circumstances. (Usually in very light winds.)

Single line fliers who know about adjusting bridles have an easier time.

I'm finding the benefit of the light wind techniques in stronger breezes...

Felix

#6 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:23 AM

If you get totally out of control, walk at the kite, don't pull!!! You will lessen the impact that way and save trips to get things fixed!!Posted Image We've all been there, take it from one who knows!!!Posted Image You said you've been lurking, hope you took time to even up your lines before flying!!! Makes control a lot easier!!!Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#7 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:35 AM

Great post, welcome to the fun... You're not likely to find a more vocal and interactive community. :)

And yes, kiting has kept me sane (loosely speaking) for a long time now, great therapy. <grin>

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#8 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:09 AM

Great post, welcome to the fun... You're not likely to find a more vocal and interactive community. :)

And yes, kiting has kept me sane (loosely speaking) for a long time now, great therapy. <grin>

John,

If you're describing the kiting community, you forgot the "friendly" modifier. If you're describing the REV forum, the "friendly" modifier goes in spades.

Psst, small typo John, you dropped the "r" after sane!

Cheers,
Tom

#9 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:22 AM

Gravitychecker,

Welcome to the forum and to Revs.

One of the fastest ways of picking up Rev flying is to get with others. You'll learn more from one afternoon with a group than a month of flying by yourself. Promise! Post the city you live in/near/close to and you might find others nearby. The lower half of Michigan has a very active kiting community ... Dave Bush (AKA regional) would be a good person to contact.

Grand Haven is a good festival to put on your calendar. Come on Friday and the beach will have lots of Revs flying. It's worth the trip just to see Lee Sedgwick and Sam Ritter fly their REV I stacks ... they make it look sooooo easy. Sam did a 360 with his stack last year. iQuad, night flying, indoor flying ... great festival.

Cheers,
Tom

#10 beach

beach

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:37 AM

Welcome to the "Family" and remember the only rule is HAVE FUN........ BenPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#11 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 11:04 AM

Gravitychecker,

One of the fastest ways of picking up Rev flying is to get with others. You'll learn more from one afternoon with a group than a month of flying by yourself. Promise! Post the city you live in/near/close to and you might find others nearby. The lower half of Michigan has a very active kiting community ... Dave Bush (AKA regional) would be a good person to contact.

So true. This can not be stressed enough. And it's not just the flying, but the set-up and line control before and after flying. This is where new Rev fliers get into most trouble, not control of the kite.
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#12 Gravitychecker

Gravitychecker
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:11 PM

Pete, I'm in Battle Creek, born and raised. I fly at the school I went to. Quite large and open. The kids are on spring break. I will have to make it evening flights until school closes for the summer. I wouldn't want security to think I should be in class instead of flying "that contraption". "Course, one look at all the grey hair and that concern would be out the window ;)

Jeepster, I would love to attend the festival in Grand Haven. Actually, I wonder if I could get the iQuad team to all sign my kite? Oh my, 52 and now I'm a groupie.

Thanks for the awesome advice, all of you. May your wind be steady and your Rev full.

#13 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:44 AM

I note (on the Member Map) that there is a Rev flier (Crowsong) just to the west of you in Kalamazoo. Not a frequent poster, but reads the Forums. (You can discover things like this from the Member Profiles.) If you read this, Crowsong, say "Hi" to Gravitychecker.

I have not seen a firm confirmation for iQuad to be at Grand Haven yet, either on the iQuad site or on any notices for the Festival itself. I know iQuad would like to attend, but are waiting for the official invite.

I keep hoping, as I would like to see and meet the iQuad team myself.

Anyone who makes it to Grand Haven, look for me. I'm the fat old guy with the yellow baseball cap.
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#14 Crowsong

Crowsong
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:21 AM

Hi Gravitychecker!

Yay, a flying neighbor! I live in Kalamazoo, but do a lot of my flying in South Haven. (Gotta love sweet beach winds...) Started flying Revs last year after I saw iQuad and friends at Grand Haven - here's crossing my fingers, too, that they make it to the festival this year, I'll be standing in line asking for kites signed too. =)

Nice to meet you!

Crowsong

#15 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:54 AM

Now, Gravitychecker, you can put YOUR location on the Member Map and become a resource for other Rev fliers.

(Pardon me. I have five grand-children running around the house today. I think my way of explaining things to them is rubbing off here in the forum.) Posted Image
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#16 kitefantex

kitefantex

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:10 PM

Gravitychecker
If you go to GH there will not be one Rev flier there. Maybe a dozen or two but not one. I'll be there

Kitefantex aka Gumby

#17 Gravitychecker

Gravitychecker
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:39 PM

Pete, thanks for the tip: I am now on the member map. Click on my location and you can almost smell the cereal being made. Got those hands bicycling today. It sure is beautiful watching that Rev SLOWLY turn a 360. It certainly takes more exaggerated moves the slower it spins. What a hoot! 3 hours later I figured I better go home. I did have a township officer watch me from his patrol car for a short time. Must be there aren't any warrants out for me. Whew!

My mistake; I thought I read somewhere that iQuad WOULD be at Grand Haven this year. I hope they make it. I'll look for a yellow hat.

#18 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:57 PM

... I thought I read somewhere that iQuad WOULD be at Grand Haven this year...

Well, I hope you did read something that I missed. I too am hoping.

--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#19 kitefantex

kitefantex

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:24 AM

according to Mac Kites ( http://www.mackite.com/glskc.htm ) IQuad will be there. Ole Ben is ussualy there, also, behind the big tent teaching new fliers. Check out the web site to see what is happening.

Kitefantex aka Gumby

#20 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:08 AM

Psst ... wake up John!!! What's the status for this year?

Cheers,
Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users